Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement NIC

• 15-03-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm pretty sure i've got a faulty NIC. Regular disconnections, IP address conflicts etc. I'm quite sure it's not the router as the disconnections are confined to my laptop only.

I'm running XP Pro on a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo - the NIC is an Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG. Can anyone tell me what NIC i can buy that will be compatible with my laptop? I don't really want an external USB network card. Are NICs very difficult to replace?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

IP address conflicts would suggest that two or more devices on the network have been assigned the same IP address or have the same MAC address.

This could still be a software issue.

1. Check that all the devices on your home network (laptops, desktops, nas boxes, media players, game consoles etc) have a dynamically assigned ip address.

2. You might've clicked an option in the routers admin page, or in the laptop network configuration page, to "clone MAC address". Which means that you've two devices on the network which have the same unique identifier on the LAN, which then gets mapped to the same IP Address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Here is a used one the same as you have, for about eur6 incl post from UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

I should point out that i am almost certain that this is a hardware issue. All IP addresses are assigned dynamically and mine is the only one that has troubles. Even when i have successfully connected to the internet the wireless network connection symbol in the system tray continues to say "acquiring network address".

The internet connection can also disconnect if the laptop is picked up in a specific way (front right, where the NIC is positioned) - this can also result in a BSOD from time to time.

Is removing and installing a NIC very difficult? Will i need an ESD strap, any other specific tools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Assuming your NIC is minipci, easy to remove reseat, no special tools needed. Before trying that go to Fujitsu site or Intels and download latest drivers and firmware

Advertisement