Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is possible to break a 1-year lease?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I started renting a 2 bedroom apartment about 3 months ago, the lease is for 1 year. I was wondering if there is anyway of breaking this before the lease is up, even if i could break it at the 6 month mark , this would do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It depends on what your lease says or if you can get somebody to take over the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If you can find another tenant to take over then you are good to go. Otherwise, unless your lease allows a 6 months break clause, you are stuck.

Could always talk to the landlord though, they may give you a break...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

You're never stuck. If you tell the LL you want to leave but will happily line up their next tenant for them you're fine. Even if they say no you can still leave. You're nearly better if they do say no so you don't have the donkey work of finding a tenant

From Threshold
    A tenant can also avail of section 186 of the Residential Tenancies Act to end a fixed term lease where the landlord refuses their wish to assign the lease to somebody else.

If a tenant wants to end of fixed-term tenancy early, they should inform the landlord in writing of their wish to assign or sublet the lease. Where the landlord refuses to give his or her consent, the tenant is entitled to serve a Notice of Termination.

The length of notice is determined by duration of the tenancy (see the Table above) and the Notice should correspond to the example Notice of Termination provided above.

The tenant is entitled to the return of their deposit if they take these steps.

Advertisement