Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom complaint after switching

• 15-03-2011 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

This is my problem. Please advise me.

In January I switched to UPC phone and broadband from Eircom. The UPC line took two weeks to be connected because there was a fault in the line outside my house, therefore the Eircom line continued to be used with the continuing monthly package. I received a bill for €187.64 for a 2 week period of calls made through the Eircom line. I spoke to a representative and he told me that because we had left Eircom the turned off our package immediately and reverted to charging me full rates for calls. This was in the terms and conditions but after reading them, it only states if it was within the 12 month period which I had exceeded. I was not informed about this whatsoever and I frankly cannot afford to pay this bill. I feel they were responsible for telling me and if so, I would have not made calls.

I have lodged a formal complaint and got a call from eircom today. The woman said, in a very harassing manner, that it was my fault for making the mistake and their policy states that full charges will be applied once one switches over as said in the T&C's (it doesn't).

I feel that I am being bullied into paying this and really do not know what to do. I am happy to pay for the line rental for that two week period but as my package was for free calls I cannot see whay I have to pay anything else.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you asked them to show you where in the Terms and Conditions it says this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sccats

yes and it only states within contracted time. She wouldn't listen to me when I took her up on this and she said she had nothing more to say. She caught me right off guard

Can you give us a timeline on this?

You say:
    therefore the Eircom line continued to be used with the continuing monthly package

How was the package continuing? was it because you needed to use the phone or was it because it had not actually been cancelled as of the dates you were making the calls?

When did you cancel the package? and when did you make the calls?

Is there any correspondence between you and Eircom about the cancellation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Paragraph 9 of the talktime package t&c's states:
    "On termination of this Agreement ........all calls charged for in the Billing cycle.... shall be charged for at the standard rates"

You can get it on this page.

I think and I emphasise "think" that this is what they are referring too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sccats

ttcomet wrote: »
    Paragraph 9 of the talktime package t&c's states:
    "On termination of this Agreement ........all calls charged for in the Billing cycle.... shall be charged for at the standard rates"

You can get it on this page.

I think and I emphasise "think" that this is what they are referring too.

I didn't see that when I read them but it is their in black and white. All I can afford is €10 per month if they want there money back.
    How was the package continuing? was it because you needed to use the phone or was it because it had not actually been cancelled as of the dates you were making the calls?

The line should have been cancelled automatically on switching but when I discovered the new providers line was down, I connected back to Eircom and the phone worked. Stupidly, I thought I would only be charged with my package.

But this is very underhanded of Eircom. Is it so wrong to contact the customer and just inform them that if they wish to continue to use the line then it will be charged at the standard rate.

• Advertisement

sccats wrote: »
    I didn't see that when I read them but it is their in black and white. All I can afford is €10 per month if they want there money back.

The line should have been cancelled automatically on switching but when I discovered the new providers line was down, I connected back to Eircom and the phone worked. Stupidly, I thought I would only be charged with my package.

But this is very underhanded of Eircom. Is it so wrong to contact the customer and just inform them that if they wish to continue to use the line then it will be charged at the standard rate.

While I have every sympathy for the amount you now find yourself saddled with it is basically your fault.

You asked for a contract to be cancelled. It was cancelled.

Because of a problem with your new supplier you started using the service again outside your previous contract.

You expect a company with hundreds of thousands of customers to notice this usage on the line and then contact you and warn you of the charges involved?

No company is going to do that no matter who they are and in my view anyway it is completely unrealistic to expect them to do so.

Advertisement