Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Saved A Dog's Life Today Woooo \o/

• 15-03-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭

First of all he wasn't run over or anything like that but he had a lucky escape!

Walking along in town along a busy road/junction area and this black and white short haired collie/sheepdog type dog trots on past me and my Mum.
    I see he has a collar so figured he belonged to the people walking a bit behind us.
    Then realised that wasn't the case and everytime we stopped he would stop and wait for us! :)

Tried to go up to him to check his collar but he thought we were continuing on walking and trotted right into middle of busy junction, I nearly had a flippin heart attack. :eek:
    Thankfully the few cars near him noticed him and slowed down, if they hadn't he would have been hit. Was able to coax him back to us on footpath.

Checked his collar and tag, his name and 2 mobile numbers were on it.
    My phone was dead so used Mums and the lady paniced at first thinking the dog was dead! She was relived to hear that wasnt the case but I let her know about how it was a near miss. She told me how she wouldn't be finished work for few hours and her partner was in another county. Turns out they lived on whole other end of town like waaaaaaay far away, he had escaped from the back garden somehow. How he didn't get knocked down at some point I don't know! :eek:

Mum had appointment and I had nothing to do so I decided to walk half ways there with him and Mum could pick me up on the way. Used the stringy bit from my hood(the bit to tighten hood) as a lead. Stopped off at my friends house and gave him water and some slices of bread as they had nothing else suitable! Gave him loads of pets and cuddles, the most quiet gentle dog EVER :D

Mum picked us up and he hopped into the car no problem and curled up and half went to sleep for the last part of his journey :D
    Rang the woman back for directions through her estate and found the house. They had a very long lead at front of garden so she said to clip him on there and she would be home within the hour. He was happy to be home and plopped himself at the front door :D:D

Think some of the neighbours thought we were trying to steal him when they seen me sitting on the front step securing his lead and collar ha! :pac: Pity my phone was dead could have taken a photo. His owner was very happy on the phone.

This is the first time I've ever been able to do something like this.
    It's the GREATEST feeling in the world, after today I know I'm on the right track in going into Animal Care :D

You see alot of sad stories in this forum at times so thought I would share my happy experience with you folks :D <----can't stop smiling

\o/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

nice story

well done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

That story cheered me right up!
    If my dogs ever go for a wander, I hope someone as caring and nice as you finds them.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Fair play to you for helping out ,,,its people like you that keep my faith in humanity:)..so many people would just have( and did) left him wander off so well done on acting on your gut and knowing he needed help..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BCollie

Nice to see a happy ending. Well done:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

well i think its a disgrace the woner did not leave work to go get her dog. you own a dog you have a responsibility. if you hadnt brought her dog home what would her solution have been?
    I would question whether this dog is tied all the time too which is cruel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

well i think its a disgrace the woner did not leave work to go get her dog. you own a dog you have a responsibility. if you hadnt brought her dog home what would her solution have been?
    I would question whether this dog is tied all the time too which is cruel.

Well in fairness she was worried on the phone and I could tell she was trying to figure things out in her head very quickly.

So I didn't really give her chance to worry about what to do and said I would leave him at her house. Also no idea where she works as I didn't ask.

They have a fenced in back garden but this is where he got out from somehow so don't think they have him tied up all the time. The long thing for having him tied on occasion(I'd say) is at the front of the house.
    They were going to check the garden that evening and see where he might possibly have gotten out.

If I ever happen to see him loose again(which is highly unlikely he would make that trek again and hopefully they will have dog-proofed the garden!) then I'd definitely be waiting for them to return from work and have a word with them.

But I really think they will sort it.

This dog doesn't act at all like a dog who is tied up all the time.
    He has no issue with strangers, not a bark out of him or showed signs of being scared when he met my friends or had to hop into car.

While he was in the car he settled in to sleep and wasn't boucing about the place or trying to look out the window. So he is well use to being in cars.

Seriously well behaved and content dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Well done you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Well done ..... you saved someone some serious heartache;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well done OP! :D I "found" a dog this morning for a few mins.. We were walking along then out of nowhere a young JRT/Beagle cross appeared out of nowhere. We waited a few mins but there was nobody with her. She seemed a bit shy of my guy at first but he's gentle with smaller dogs so they said hello no probs - as soon as I went to pet her she started to whine and seemed like she was a bit stressed so I figured she must be lost. Her legs and tummy where wet and mucky so looked liked she'd been running thru grass which is odd for that time of the morning as the park is closed and it's usually more road walkers you see out for a quick walk before work etc... Anyhoos there was nobody with her - this was on Mobhi Rd in Glasnevin for anyone that knows it which although it's quieter at 7:10 it's still a main road with cars flying up and down it so I decided we'd walk on and she what she'd do - if she followed I'd call the numbers on her collar.. Just as we went to move I heard somebody running and looked around to see two school kids so held her collar - their dad had been out walking her and she ran off. He decided she'd need to learn how to come home so left without her! I was shocked but no point saying it to the kids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

tk123 wrote: »
    Well done OP! :D I "found" a dog this morning for a few mins.. We were walking along then out of nowhere a young JRT/Beagle cross appeared out of nowhere. We waited a few mins but there was nobody with her. She seemed a bit shy of my guy at first but he's gentle with smaller dogs so they said hello no probs - as soon as I went to pet her she started to whine and seemed like she was a bit stressed so I figured she must be lost. Her legs and tummy where wet and mucky so looked liked she'd been running thru grass which is odd for that time of the morning as the park is closed and it's usually more road walkers you see out for a quick walk before work etc... Anyhoos there was nobody with her - this was on Mobhi Rd in Glasnevin for anyone that knows it which although it's quieter at 7:10 it's still a main road with cars flying up and down it so I decided we'd walk on and she what she'd do - if she followed I'd call the numbers on her collar.. Just as we went to move I heard somebody running and looked around to see two school kids so held her collar - their dad had been out walking her and she ran off. He decided she'd need to learn how to come home so left without her! I was shocked but no point saying it to the kids!
    That could have been a tough lesson to learn,,,poor dog:(..Glad you delay her long enough to be found:)

tk123 wrote: »
    - their dad had been out walking her and she ran off. He decided she'd need to learn how to come home so left without her! I was shocked but no point saying it to the kids!

What a prick of a man!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I know! I'm doing a lot of recall work with my guy at the moment so if he doesn't come back I chalk it down to us needing to practice more. What if she'd been hit by a car and the kids had found her injured or dead! :(

It's not like the dog does it on purpose!

They aint wandering off just to spite the owner....honestly some folks :confused:

Well done for staying with the wee dude. Hopefully his kids will be the only ones walking him from now on!

Advertisement