Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Questions

• 15-03-2011 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

We just got UPC in the house and im led to believe its the 30mb package however we are only getting 20mbps on speedtest.net.

On Eircom you could tell the package you had by going to your router homepage at 192.168.1.254

What is the ip for this method on the upc router?

Also i read somewhere here that there is a huge hidden charge for the 20mb package when you over use your bandwidth. Is this still true and what is the cap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

If your on wireless i think the best you can get is 20mb out of 30 with the cisco router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

wush06 wrote: »
    If your on wireless i think the best you can get is 20mb out of 30 with the cisco router.

So if it were hooked up via ethernet then it would be 30mb?

Seen on the UPC site there that their acceptable usage policy (why is there one if they say unlimited? CU*TS) that the 20mb and 30mb cap is 250gb and 3cents per mb thereafter. How much does the average user use. I know on Eircom we were over our limit sometimes but I dont know by how much. Is there a program that can monitor it?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Yes when I use wired I get the full 30. I do believe it's 250G fair usage.
    Not really sure about software for monitor it if your only using one pc well then there could be some software.

In my house there is 3 iPhones 1 iPad 1 laptop and and the xbox so it would be hard to keep tabs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 onelessprob

You can buy a new router with Tomato installed, and monitor all your house traffic. The other solution is install one of these programs on your machines. http://www.killertechtips.com/2008/01/15/best-bandwidth-monitoring-software-for-your-computer/ I use Surplus Meter, does the job brilliantly. Can set your own limit, the month (UPC start on the 1st of each month), and you can pause it (if your away from home using someone else's connection).

I dont think you can get that information from your router page (UPC block it AFAIK)

Anyway, the router address is 192.168.1.1

Just hit enter, you original password is blank, it will prompt you to enter a new password.

Just a note, turn IP flood protection off (In Firewall options).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

Figured it out, its a thomson router.

So i enter 192.168.0.1 and enter no username and password is admin. All is okay.

Thanks for everyones help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Sprrratt wrote: »
    We just got UPC in the house and im led to believe its the 30mb package however we are only getting 20mbps on speedtest.net.

On Eircom you could tell the package you had by going to your router homepage at 192.168.1.254

What is the ip for this method on the upc router?

Also i read somewhere here that there is a huge hidden charge for the 20mb package when you over use your bandwidth. Is this still true and what is the cap?

I just got the 30mb package and get 29.5mb downlaod most of the time. I have 2 computers and for the last 2 years average about 50 to 60Gb per month so the 250GB limit certainly covers our household usage. I read somewhere that Xbox etc use about 10mb an hour if that info is any use. In relation to monitoring UPC have advised some users to use Shaplus

http://www.shaplus.com/bandwidth-meter/

I thought it was around 50MB per hour of gameplay?

Anyway, unless you download a lot of movies. Then you'll go over you limit. But I doubt you'll go over 250GB a month, and if you do, think to yourself, do you actually watch everything you download. I highly doubt it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

If you go over the limit a few times they will send you a few letters. If you keep doing it, they will bump you up to the Extreme package for €80 a month. Maybe it's changed with the new 100mb package as it's the same price as the Extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 totomac

networx wil monitor all ur daily downloads an it free

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

yep, we went over the 250GB limit once and they sent us a letter to warn us that we'd get charged the next time.

It's a fair system.

totomac wrote: »
    networx wil monitor all ur daily downloads an it free

Only if you just use the 1 PC.
    The only to monitor bandwidth properly is at the source, the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

Does anyone know if UPC have a dynamic ip address??
    I didnt wanna start a new thread for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

They have a pool of IP's.
    Meaning yes, you won't usually be assigned the same IP twice.

It is dynamic but I don't lose mine when the router turns off. It has only changed twice for me since August 09 and I run a home server on it with a domain pointing at it for remote access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

/\/ollog wrote: »
    They have a pool of IP's.
    Meaning yes, you won't usually be assigned the same IP twice.

Thank you

Advertisement