Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for free?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Ive been working in a well known news agents for about two years now part time. Our boss wants us to come in at the weekend on our own time to take part in a training programe on the computer which involves watching a video and answering questions after. We are not allowed to clock in for this time (which apparently takes approx. 3 hours) and will not be getting paid for it.

Can we be forced to give up our time like this for free or are we entitled to be paid for this training?

Surely if he wants to improve the training and knowledge of his staff he should have to bear to cost?

I have no written contract.

I know some will probably say I should be happy to have a job, however we're not being paid much more than minimum wage, and as Im in my final year in college, giving up 3 hours of my time (+ presumably more in the future) with no pay is a bit of a strain!

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

If it's a once-off and you don't have other plans I'd try be really positive and just do it with a smile for some kudos with the boss - rather than him/her thinking you're an awkward pain in the face.

That being said, if it's a regular thing the norm is to be paid for training and I would be looking for payment if it was every fortnight or one Saturday a month or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Newaglish wrote: »
    If it's a once-off and you don't have other plans I'd try be really positive and just do it with a smile for some kudos with the boss - rather than him/her thinking you're an awkward pain in the face.

That being said, if it's a regular thing the norm is to be paid for training and I would be looking for payment if it was every fortnight or one Saturday a month or something.

Good advice there..
    Maybe ask for time in lieu some evening.. that would always work for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

When I worked as an accountant the partners arranged a similar treat.. a day's training on completing audit files on Saturday.

In short, you're lucky to have a job & it seems your ability to do your job is dependant on receiving this training. Unless you have some benchmarking agreement with your employer there's not a lot you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

training programe on the computer which involves watching a video and answering questions after
    Who is, and is not been trained on this? I'm thinking anyone not trained on it may be let go for some other BS reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Newaglish wrote: »

Fair point. Its just that after having your hours cut, your time and a third for sundays taken away, and other stuff without kicking up a fuss, at what point do stand up for yourself? If you sit back and take it all are you not just asking to be walked over?
    tenchi-fan wrote: »
    In short, you're lucky to have a job & it seems your ability to do your job is dependant on receiving this training. Unless you have some benchmarking agreement with your employer there's not a lot you can do.

Ability to do the job is in no way dependant on the 'training'! I should make it clear it not training on how to use the computer, its a basicly watching a video about when to sell alcohol, customer care etc Stuff anyone with a bit of experience and common sense is well aware of. Frankly, its mickey mouse stuff that covers the employers back side if you do something wrong eg. sell to someone underage. Ive no problem doing it, I just think it should be done during working hours.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Who is, and is not been trained on this? I'm thinking anyone not trained on it may be let go for some other BS reason.

All staff have to do it. Maybe I'll just keep shut and do it, and if it becomes a regular thing I'll bring it up that I think its only fair that we get paid considering we're giving up our time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement