Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to night rate electricity

Options
  • 15-03-2011 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭

with oil prices being so high now it is surely worth doing. Has anyone switched? Is it a relatively simple procedure to get the new meter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Daegerty wrote: »
    with oil prices being so high now it is surely worth doing. Has anyone switched? Is it a relatively simple procedure to get the new meter?

esb networks just change the meter to a dual tariff. Its free of charge to get it, but €190 if you want to switch back. Not worthwhile unless you change your usage patterns, as the standing charge is slightly more per day than the single tariff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Davy wrote: »
    esb networks just change the meter to a dual tariff. Its free of charge to get it, but 190 if you want to switch back. Not worthwhile unless you change your usage patterns, as the standing charge is slightly more per day than the single tariff

is getting the meter changed a big job?
    Was thinking of getting it for the immersion and a few other things

Daegerty wrote: »
    is getting the meter changed a big job?
    Was thinking of getting it for the immersion and a few other things

No, not really. You wont have to do anything once you ask them to change it, after that its up to them. 30 minutes would swap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

got it switched about 3 weeks ago - was a straightforward job, I'd say it took the ESB guy 30 mins max. Absolutely no hassle getting it sorted.

It's only worth it though if you use most of your electricity during the night hours - before 8 am during the winter.

Will be interesting to see our next bill ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

I have one, as recently removed storage heaters and replace with oil. Can't say I see the benefit too it without storage heaters though. Was considering getting rid of it but need to do figures to work out whether €190 is worth it.

See https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/pricing.jsp

You pay a higher day rate (€0.1506 vs €0.1410) and an extra nightsaver standing charge (€1.34 per bi-monthly bill). The nightsaver rate is €0.0745

• Advertisement

Use immersion, tumble dryer, washing machine and dishwasher after 11/12 and you would save on the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

But won't the engineer have to come out to put the second meter in with the original one?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

No. Modern meters are just one unit and operate a dual tariff internally. 2 wires in, 2 wires out.

bassey wrote: »
    No. Modern meters are just one unit and operate a dual tariff internally. 2 wires in, 2 wires out.

Well they will have to come and change it if its just a general domestic which is the most common. Its only the very recent elctronic meters that can handle the single or dual tariff.

@senordingdong

Their is only one meter for dual tariff, they will take out the current one and just replace with, rather than adding an extra meter to the setup. That would have been done in the past for NSH

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

That's what I meant about it being one unit. An NT will probably have to come out and replace your current meter with a new unit. I should have been clearer. It only takes a few minutes to replace and if your meter box is outside and accessible you won't even have to be in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Use immersion, tumble dryer, washing machine and dishwasher after 11/12 and you would save on the bill
    ...and before 8/9 in the morning [time moves for winter and summer]

So I find myself putting washes on at 6.30/7am when Im up and getting sorted to go to work.

Advertisement