If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'VE SEEN IT - AND I WILL HAVE ONE! NEW 50" COMING SOON

Options
  • 15-03-2011 7:38pm
    Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I'm away at a product launch at the moment & I think I've just seen two pivotal new TV's today (and I have actually ordered one for myself already!)

The star is the new 50" 21:9 TV - it's called the 50PFL7956 and it looks like this:
    picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=8983

It has an A M A Z I N G spec including:
    • 21:9 Ultra widescreen format
    • Ambilight Spectra 2 -
    • Full HD - Pixel Precise HD- Amazing movement processing & detail
    • 100Hz Clear LCD
    • LED 2Ms performance
    • 2D to 3D conversion- I've seen it & it really works!
    • NET TV - Via ethernet or built in Wi-Fi
    • Multi Window - browse the web & watch TV at the same time!
    • Philips Media Connect - displays all your PC meia files - WITHOUT WIRES
    • USB recording - Pause live play or schedule recordings to a USB device

That's before we get to the sexy bits!

This TV is passive or 'EASY 3D' - this means that you don't have to invest in really expensive active 3D Glasses - the EASY 3D glasses are cheaper, much more stylish & far easier to wear as they are lighter!...

..and Easy3D works - I was with a group of about 30 people and almost everyone preferred the easy 3D experience over active 3D - it's really fantastic - to the extent that I have cancelled an order for a 46" 8 series and ordered one of these myself!

It also has a really quirky feature that will delight gamers - there will be a glasses option that will allow 2 games to view 2 completely separate images on the screen at the same time - Much better than traditional split screen gaming!

Expected launch price is €2,000 & we hope to have a launch package especially for Boardies with a matching Blu-Ray ;)

I'll post on the other nuggets as soon as I get a minute - but there is also one completely beautiful 'Design style' TV that is just stunningly beautiful.

Thanks again guys and keep me posted if you have any queries,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KevMac68

Hi John, thanks for posting.Certainly looks interesting re. the passive 3d which should help 3d tv technology be more quickly adopted by the consumer.
    My main concerns would centre around its sd handling which im sure would still make up a high percentage of most peoples viewing(stretching an already poor picture out would surely have everyone looking like a pixellated blob).
    Furthermore not every bluray has the 21:9 ar and will likewise require stretching to fill the screen or keeping the side bars
    How deep (and natural)are the blacks? (usually an LCD disadvantage relative to plasma technology)
    Interested in that quirky gamer technology though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Thats my problem with this also, no native 21:9 material available which means that whatever is fed to the display has to be processed to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I have the 'original' 56 LCD 21:9. and that does carry out smart stretching for non 21:9.
    There is a very small part of the picture lost, but you only notice it on something like Sky News, where there is constant info bars running at the bottom of the screen.
    Small loss of picture, but in general it's very impressive, and you get used to the wide picture very quickly.
    You can also run material at it's original ratio without any 'processing', with DVD or bluray you are left with very narrow black bars top and bottom.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

KevMac68 wrote: »
    Hi John, thanks for posting.Certainly looks interesting re. the passive 3d which should help 3d tv technology be more quickly adopted by the consumer.
    My main concerns would centre around its sd handling which im sure would still make up a high percentage of most peoples viewing(stretching an already poor picture out would surely have everyone looking like a pixellated blob).
    Furthermore not every bluray has the 21:9 ar and will likewise require stretching to fill the screen or keeping the side bars
    How deep (and natural)are the blacks? (usually an LCD disadvantage relative to plasma technology)
    Interested in that quirky gamer technology though

Kev,

many thanks for the post -as I feel that this is genuinely an important TV I think it's great to ge feedback so soon!

Re. Passive / Easy3D - yes I completely agree with you - the 3D easy 'light' glasses make the technology so much more approachable and acceptable to the normal user that I feel that after only 1 days exposure to the product that this is really the way forward for 3D for the normal household.

Re SD content - I have to say that it was really impressive, even in 2D to 3D conversion mode when pixellation & def should be at it's worst - however in standard def 2D it was most impressive- and it was right beside a 58" superb class leading 21:9, 400Hz clear LCD model (you can see the bad pic below!)

picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=8987

On the native resolution of Blu-Ray - the 21:9 is as close to perfect as you can get and in my personal experience of the 1st 2 generations of the format I have to say that when you try to watch a 16:9 beside a 21:9 screen with a BR movie - it's really honestly difficult to watch the 16:9, that's how natural and compelling the 21:9 format feels - however I acknowledge that the format is really intended for the movie enthuasist and is not for the casual viewer of the news at 10!

On the gamer technology - to be fair this is a simple derivative technology from Easy 3D - but my god it works and it's really strange to be watching the same TV with another Colleague - and you are both seeing completely different scenes!

With relation to Black levels - yes, to be fair it's not as good as the new 9 series which has a contrast ratio of 100,000,000:1 (yes seriously) and I have seen the new 9 series in action and the blacks just look like the TV is turned off and the whites are just W H I TE (and believe it or not it shows the greys as well!) but it is roughly the same as the revised 7/8 series and I have never heard anyone criticise the black levels on these but if you do want the deepest blacks - you do need either to see out a discontinued Pioneer Plasna or else get your paws on a 9705 or the new 9706.

What I did not really mention in my earlier post is that I feel that with this 3rd generation 21:9 the format is at last comfortable in the normal living room - I know that the Philips towers guys will go mad if they read this but whilst the 58" 21:9 really does represent the ultimate movie fans LED TV - it is not comfortable to sit as the only/main TV in a household - the new 50" however really does fulfill that brief plus some! - Many of you know my other half & you know that I would not be able to smuggle a 'frippery' into the house, but the new 50PFL7956 is really both an enthusiasts delight AND a really slick looking beautiful piece of design that will fit into most living rooms.

We hope to have a launch sample of this TV soon and we will post as soon as we get a sniff of it - if you are thinking about buying ANY serious TV in the next year it really does deserve serious consideration.

I can't wait to take delivery & install it myself and I'll update you on its arrival & install,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

Well I hope Philips have gotten their head around the 3D side of things 'cause the 52" 8605 series I got, while having stunning 2D is a dog when it comes to 3D. I've only really being trying the 3D in the last couple of weeks and its very disappointing. Looking around the web all the 2010 models seem crap. The Philips I have is not a patch on my friends Samsung C8000 3D wise ...... not impressed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

That why when dropping big money on a TV you should research, research and then research some more. Info from end users is the way to go as industry awards are generally given to the set with the most gimmicks.

Hi John,
    Thanks for your reply.
    To be perfectly honest im still not convinced by the 21:9 format but would really need to see it in the flesh.
    Furthermore, if i were looking at accepting 3d tv technology at home(im inclined to wait a few years to see how the format progresses) id be looking at the Panny VT30 set.Rumours that theyve achieved Kuro blacks and can be 'perfectly' calibrated.
    I currently have a Pio KRP-500M and, 2 years on, ive yet to see it surpassed.
    Anything else on a home television at present(at least for me) is still too gimmicky

KevMac68 wrote: »
    Hi John,
    Thanks for your reply.
    To be perfectly honest im still not convinced by the 21:9 format but would really need to see it in the flesh.
    Furthermore, if i were looking at accepting 3d tv technology at home(im inclined to wait a few years to see how the format progresses) id be looking at the Panny VT30 set.Rumours that theyve achieved Kuro blacks and can be 'perfectly' calibrated.
    I currently have a Pio KRP-500M and, 2 years on, ive yet to see it surpassed.
    Anything else on a home television at present(at least for me) is still too gimmicky

I agree that 3D is still at the gimmick stage - and I would NEVER buy ANY TV on it's 3D performance alone (I guess if you are a rampant gamer it may be important especially for the Dual screen gimmick, but it's really a secondary feature in my opinion as well) - but I was really surprised by just how well the Easy/Passive 3D works!

On the Pioneer - again I agree with you - it's still the dogs dangly bits and I'm not sure that any current TV is better than it and specifically I can say with some authority that no Panasonic even approaches the KRP's at the moment, and again to be fair to the Philips the KRP500 is at a completely different price level to the 50PFL7956 :confused:.

The new Philips 50PFL7956 to be fair does not claim to have the best black levels - it is a 7 series and if you want best in ALL classes whiter whites & blacker blacks you will have to opt for the new 9706 range which is the best picture offering.

On not being convinced by 21:9 - if you have never seen it - you won't be convinced - But you just have to see it - it's soo hard to watch movie on a standard 16:9 when there is a 21:9 beside it - the 21:9 just looks soooo damn right! I have spoken to most Customers who have bought 21:9's from us and pretty much to a man, they all love it - the format really is a dream for watching movies - but it is a TV for an enthuasist and may not suit the casual viewer who watches the news every night!

I'm pretty hardened when it comes to gimmicks and I don't exactly buy many TV's (Hence the 9 year old Hitachi plasma :o) but I really do think that the 50PFL7956 offers a great package which combines a superb movie format, excellent quality, looks really sleek in a domestic environment and thrown in a few toys as well!

I'm not sure when exactly we will have it in-store but we will have a Boardie launch for it and hopefully you can come in and have a look!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Lar

I'm sorry to hear you are not 100% happy with your TV.

I phoned you a little earlier today to have a little chat to see if I can help you out on the 3D side of things on your 52PFL8605H.
    Guess you are at work so left a message on your phone.

In the meantime here's the latest Firmware that was released on the 8th of March and can be found here -
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?tmplt=ePlatform%20-%20Philips&scy=IE&slg=ENG&sct=LCD_TV_SU&cat=TV_CA&session=20110318075319_83.70.176.90&grp=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&ctn=52PFL8605H/12&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software

Whilst it doesnt mention any improvements to 3D performance, it would be worth ensuring your TV is up to date - some times the list are not comprehensive in what they cover..

If you'd like to give me a buzz when you have some time on your hands to have a chat I'll see what I can do for you.

Atb
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

Hi Lar

I'm sorry to hear you are not 100% happy with your TV.

I phoned you a little earlier today to have a little chat to see if I can help you out on the 3D side of things on your 52PFL8605H.
    Guess you are at work so left a message on your phone.

In the meantime here's the latest Firmware that was released on the 8th of March and can be found here -
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?tmplt=ePlatform%20-%20Philips&scy=IE&slg=ENG&sct=LCD_TV_SU&cat=TV_CA&session=20110318075319_83.70.176.90&grp=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&ctn=52PFL8605H/12&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software

Whilst it doesnt mention any improvements to 3D performance, it would be worth ensuring your TV is up to date - some times the list are not comprehensive in what they cover..

If you'd like to give me a buzz when you have some time on your hands to have a chat I'll see what I can do for you.

Atb
    Ash

Sorry, this was the wrong place for a rant, sent you a PM. Besides the 3D the 8 series is great ...:D

• Advertisement

Thanks for your honest reply John.I do like my gadgets and new technology and thus will endeavour to call in and see the new Philips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Lar

I've had a read of your pm, thanks for getting back to me, and bounced you back a response.

Please let me know how you get on.

The 8 series is an amazing TV with HD content forsure, BluRay looks amazing!

have a good one
    atb
    Ash

Have a look at this about the 50PFL7956 - if you are a Gamer you should find it interesting.

There will be a 'GAMEPAK' available with Easy 3D which will have 2 pairs of dedicated glasses for Gamers so each can see the full screen (ie each sees a different full screen!)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

... if they could make it such that glasses wearer one sees, I don't know... maybe the soccer while glasses wearer two sees soaps / whatever.

THAT'D be a winner :-) Left channel audio sport, right channel soap, and intelligent headphones....

Sorry. I'll get me coat...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Have a look at this about the 50PFL7956 - if you are a Gamer you should find it interesting.

There will be a 'GAMEPAK' available with Easy 3D which will have 2 pairs of dedicated glasses for Gamers so each can see the full screen (ie each sees a different full screen!)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

That's some science fiction doo doo right there lol. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Interactions like this is what really makes me want to buy a TV from you lot - so please give me a reason to buy one by doing a mega deal on that 58" 21:9 thing (something like what you did with the 56" version please!). :D

positron wrote: »
    Interactions like this is what really makes me want to buy a TV from you lot - so please give me a reason to buy one by doing a mega deal on that 58" 21:9 thing (something like what you did with the 56" version please!). :D

Posi,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you and thanks for the post :D.

I cannot give you such a MEGA deal as we have on the 56PFL9954 ( I still have a few remaining at just £999.95 ) But I have spent the last few hours sharpening many pencils and I'm sending you a PM now with what I think is the best price in Europe on that Big Beauty!

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.