Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw Cert/NPTC

• 15-03-2011 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My search hasn't brought up anything since 2008. I was wondering if you knew who may have cert courses for chainsaw work in the Dublin area, preferably. But, I'll travel as needs be. Any idea as to costs, time, etc. I want to take at least the first 3-4 of them and be certified for large trees, blowdowns, etc. I am currently a sawyer with a lot of experience in Oregon(felling trees up to 5' wide and working several blow down sites), but my experience is worthless without the certs for Ireland.

Obliged

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Coillte provide training and certification in this area. I'v done a couple of courses with them, I think they lasted 5 days each. I forget the cost. They would surely be worth a call. Try this link

http://www.coillte.ie/coillteenterprise/ancillary_businesses/coillte_training_and_safety_services/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Reindeer wrote: »
    Hey guys,

My search hasn't brought up anything since 2008. I was wondering if you knew who may have cert courses for chainsaw work in the Dublin area, preferably. But, I'll travel as needs be. Any idea as to costs, time, etc. I want to take at least the first 3-4 of them and be certified for large trees, blowdowns, etc. I am currently a sawyer with a lot of experience in Oregon(felling trees up to 5' wide and working several blow down sites), but my experience is worthless without the certs for Ireland.

Obliged

http://www.treecareireland.com/training.asp#C1
    Sisters boyfriend is a tree surgeon, think these are the crowd he trained with. I'l ring him later to double check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Wow, keep the responses coming, guys. Thanks a bunch!

I have found this guy here: http://www.ktcsafety.ie/training-courses/211-chainsaw-city-a-guilds-nptc-assessment

That seems to be right up my alley for already having experience. However, I would still need the first aid course as well, wouldn't I? I've asked them about costs and availability. Anyone familiar with these folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hplp

Hey,

If you have the experience, why not try and see if you can get hold of the course documentation ( i think you can off the NPTC website) and then just go for the assessments?

It would save you an absolute fortune, rather than doing the courses which are incredably expensive. Id only recommend this if you knew what you were doing...

H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Thanks for your response, Mate. The issue lies in the difference between OSHA(our requirements in the states) what habits, good or bad, I may have adapted, and NPTC/EN. These are almost guaranteed to be different - especially since we are somewhat cavalier about safety in the states compared to Europe. As anyone who's taken a driving test will say, it's one thing to know to drive, another to pass the test.

I think I will try for the CS-31 course and see how it goes.
    hplp wrote: »
    Hey,

If you have the experience, why not try and see if you can get hold of the course documentation ( i think you can off the NPTC website) and then just go for the assessments?

It would save you an absolute fortune, rather than doing the courses which are incredably expensive. Id only recommend this if you knew what you were doing...

H

• Advertisement
Advertisement