Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate economics if you're weak at maths

Options
  • 15-03-2011 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi there,

I graduated with a first in Economics (and politics) from ucd a few years back. I did a masters in politics afterwards, but didn't build on it into a career. I'm thinking of doing some postgraduate study in something economics-related next year.

My problem is, I've never been strong at maths. I got a C3 honours in the Leaving cert. In my economics degree, I avoided all the maths that I could, so I only took courses on quantitative methods and statistics in 2nd year. I got 90% in the quantitative - it was a very basic course - but just 50% in stats (had an off day in that one).

Reading about postgraduate economics makes it sound very different to undergraduate, much more mathematical. This might be true even if i were to do something more applied such as an MSc in Economic policy, rather than pure economics.

Can anyone confirm if postgraduate economics is far more mathematical in nature? And offer an opinion if someone with my profile will find it very difficult?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I have not completed a masters in Economics as I am still final year undergrad but Karl Whelan (UCD) has everything on his site from an overview of the course, timetables to even lecture slides etc. In the first couple of weeks the only class you have is quants and then an exam so obviously it is maths intensive. Heres the link http://www.karlwhelan.com/Teaching/ma1011info.htm

Advertisement