Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aural

• 15-03-2011 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

I do ordinary level Irish (dropped last week) and we did a mock aural last week.

My teacher gave me zero marks for answers that were spelt wrong (not drastically wrong, just a letter missing or in the wrong place). Surely I should get half the marks or so for misspelling?

An example was = I said Eilbhis instead of Eilbheis..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

To be honest, if it's only a slight mis-spelling I'd have thought you'd get full marks unless it meant something completely different.

I don't actually know for sure though...but that would have been my natural assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

As long as you get the right sound, or a slight misspelling you should get full marks, however this is only worth 90% of the cluastuiscint, the other 10% goes on the quality of your gaeilge. So if none of your answers made proper sense(but were correct) technically you still should get 90%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

That's what I would have thought....

Missed out on a good 10% that way.. (out of 100% for the aural... not out of 20% :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭TigerIsa

Cian A wrote: »
    As long as you get the right sound, or a slight misspelling you should get full marks, however this is only worth 90% of the cluastuiscint, the other 10% goes on the quality of your gaeilge. So if none of your answers made proper sense(but were correct) technically you still should get 90%

Yup you get marked first outta 90% on actual correct answers, then get a mark outta 10% for spelling accuracy (including fadas and grammar) so you definitely should NOT get a zero for a spelling mistake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Wonder what come back your teacher has, any bets he or she is one of half the Irish teachers in this country who did not do it to degree level, it's scandalous but oh so true! That said, that problem is not exclusive to Irish, happens across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Wonder what come back your teacher has, any bets he or she is one of half the Irish teachers in this country who did not do it to degree level, it's scandalous but oh so true! That said, that problem is not exclusive to Irish, happens across the board.

She is a gaelgoir (sp)... so the possibility she hasn't a degree is quite high..! :O She hates that she has ordinary level so she just tells us everything is wrong and we'd get no marks for saying this or that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

You still get 90% of the marks even if it's spelled wrong? Fantastic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

As long as it sounds right and looks like Irish ie no cathaoir= kaheer, you're grand. You would never lose all your marks

Advertisement