Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Zombie Apocalypse Car?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hilux is ok and they are reliable BUT when they do break (and they will) they are very expensive to repair compared to....

A Defender Series, 90/110...

Which break ALL the time,or bits fall off them!:D:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chocablock

I imagine if fuel wasnt an issue a large semi truck would be your best bet....Run down a horde of zombies and not even feel it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

zero19 wrote: »
    EBF_madmax_car.jpg

This, the interceptor :)

The Interceptor was based on a 76 XB Falcon coupe, with a Blown Cleveland351, Bastards of machines to Fuel, Dogs to Steer, and Brakes are all but non existant, fine if you have hundreds of Km of Outback, useless anywhere else, Trust me, I salivated over that car as a child too, then I drove one:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

1981_Delorean_DMC12.jpg

You know why.
    88 mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

The-Rigger wrote: »
    1981_Delorean_DMC12.jpg

You know why.
    88 mph.

Plus, fueling it is simple - just get your trash bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You have to get one from the future for that feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

ScumLord wrote: »
    You have to get one from the future for that feature.
    and even then rubbish only powers the time circuts.. still need pertol to get her to 88

peatcass wrote: »
    and even then rubbish only powers the time circuts.. still need pertol to get her to 88
    Or a steam train.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

You're forgetting about the flux capacitors :P going nowhere without one. Past or future that is....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Still an all.It might be very safe,as the door locks were notoriously tempermental on them.So the thing is the Zs mightnt be able to open the doors to get at you.Trouble is..You mightnt be able to get out either!!!!

As happened to John DeLorean and a VIP at the cars launch.They were locked in the car for six hours while the technicans figured how to open the doors without a blow torch while under the Press and media glare!!:D:D
    DeLorean cars..Built by a gangster,for gangsters!:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

*bump

Here we go lads - starting at just Stg1500. Armored in case you draw the attention of other survivors and the extra weight, bullbars and grills for the windscreen should help you blast through a few Zs. Might be a bit thirsty so fuel could be an issue, but lets face it, any vehicle is going to run out of resources - be it fuel, tyres or spare parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 irishmic

if money were no object http://globalxvehicles.com/

Here we go lads - starting at just Stg1500. Armored in case you draw the attention of other survivors and the extra weight, bullbars and grills for the windscreen should help you blast through a few Zs. Might be a bit thirsty so fuel could be an issue, but lets face it, any vehicle is going to run out of resources - be it fuel, tyres or spare parts.
    Great price, The build quality would be amasing but I'd wonder how easy they are to service, can you use standard parts or would you have to source military parts for it?

Thinking about the servicing of a car would be very important IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Land rovers are nice n all, But
    5481430107_b469357f10.jpg

the mac daddy of armoured All Terrain Vehicles

The Unimog, plenty of these knockin about in Non armoured format for spares in the ESB and Eircom depots

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mick7_62

New to the boards, absolutely love this thread!!! 1987 Toyota HJ60 Landcruiser (and it's in my garage). Bought new in 1986, never broken down. Zombie Apocolypse is not an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

have ye a picture of it Mick?
    Welcome to the Zombie Survival forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

The Earthroamer XV... how bad?! :D

earthroamer_xv-jp_1_08.jpg

have ye a picture of it Mick?
    Welcome to the Zombie Survival forum :)

Thanks, no I don't. Let me step outside and snap a shot....

fj.jpg

Here's a better one.
    215057_204882339541996_100000606954546_636610_424753_n.jpg

is that a 1HZ Diesel??

they were absolutley Bulletproof engines, they will run on Veg oil, and I have heard stories of enginse running without oil for over a month.

Course the Irish weather dosent do the bodywork any good on those old Jap tanks, most of them have disentigratedat this stage, I'm surprised you still have yours

Originally, a 2F petrol. I converted it to diesel last year with a 1HD-FTE. Where I live in Texas, it rains only once a month or so. It was completely under coated new in '86, so it doesn't have a spot of rust on it. We have a law here that vehicles have to stay nearly stock until 25 years old, then you can do anything to them. So it's gonna be a veggie-burning 4x4 off road monster!

• Advertisement

OOOH Shiny 6cyl Turbo

gonna kit it out for Vegoil or are you gonna make yer own Diesel???

if I had bucketloads of cash I'd get a 60 series and put one of them fancy new 1VD-FTV motors in it, 4.5 V8 Twin Turbo Diesel Mofo and then jack it up into the sky, not ridiculous monster truck Stlyee but Jacked tho

And BULLBARS, Lots and Lots of Steel, fully encased if possible ;)

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    OOOH Shiny 6cyl Turbo

gonna kit it out for Vegoil or are you gonna make yer own Diesel???

Plan on both, actually. Been running locally produced biodiesel, but i'd like to try my hand at some home brew. Been researching....
    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    if I had bucketloads of cash I'd get a 60 series and put one of them fancy new 1VD-FTV motors in it, 4.5 V8 Twin Turbo Diesel Mofo and then jack it up into the sky, not ridiculous monster truck Stlyee but Jacked tho

And BULLBARS, Lots and Lots of Steel, fully encased if possible ;)

The reason I went with the 4.2 L inter cooled turbo diesel is fuel economy. The truck was originally my father-in-law's, purchased new off the showroom floor in Los Angeles, CA in November 1986. I was gifted it about five years ago. New it got 13 mpg with the 2F petrol engine (125 bhp, 200 ft.lbs. torque). At 125,000 miles (when I got it) it got a measured 12 mpg. It was just too expensive and I was always filling it up! Also, the 2F and 1HD-FTE are similar in size and weight, but the diesel gives me 220 bhp and over 300 ft. lbs. torque. It's really noticeable!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

I would actually go with a bicycle. prolly a heavy-duty mountain bike; defo something steel-framed.

1) it won't run out of petrol

2) I can change/repair a good bit of it myself and carrying extra equipment (tube, tyres, chain) isn't too cumbersome

3) can outrun even "fast" zombies, is maneuverable in situations where debris is everywhere

4) can ride on flat tyres safely. hell you could prolly just ride on the rims if you had to

5) maneuverable, light

But the biggest thing is it won't run out of petrol. A tank (by this I mean a HUGE VEHICLE not a fuel tank) without any fuel is pretty useless... and tanks use a LOT of fuel, like.

of course, you can always throw a bicycle in the back seat of your tank for when you do run outta petrol, and enjoy running over zombies in the meantime :P

But the biggest thing is it won't run out of petrol. A tank (by this I mean a HUGE VEHICLE not a fuel tank) without any fuel is pretty useless... and tanks use a LOT of fuel, like.
    While you wont run out of petrol you are in a sense replacing petrol with food as your fuel. Although having said that your body is far more economical with energy and could probably get the same amount of distance out of a mars bar as a car could get out of a tank of petrol.

well, even in a car you still have to eat, yeah?

sure if you cycle a LOT you'll need to eat a lot more. but mostly extra carbs and luckily those keep well in processed foods that last longer times (like candy bars, which you mentioned).

no one is considering what if the Zed apocalypse happens during a petrol shortage

ScumLord wrote: »
    While you wont run out of petrol you are in a sense replacing petrol with food as your fuel.

And it's easiier to shoot out of a car window than it is whilst peddling a bike!:D

well, even in a car you still have to eat, yeah?
    Yes, but your obviously not going to need as many calories sitting in a car as you would cycling a bike. Energy conservation is something most human animals haven't had to worry about in a long time. Even 3rd world countries are full of fat people we're so good at producing high calorie foods in abundance.

Most animals have to spend all their calories on finding more calories and when there is no food available they lie around doing nothing to conserve what they have stored.

In a world without modern society we will all have to carefully consider what we do and how much it will cost us in calories. Until a steady food supply is secured every calorie is life and death.

true, but food will likely be far more available than petrol in a true apocalypse scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

land2.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Ahh, Damnation Alley, trippiest post apoc film i've ever seen, not a bad watch :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement