Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus Customer Service

Options
  • 15-03-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Kenny DNK

I hate to come on here today but I really felt like I was treated very unkindly by Aerlingus last Saturday morning.

The short of it all was we missed our flight, by minutes, held up in queues and security and were charged an extra €75 each for a "missed flight" fee.

On arriving at the gate we were told that the flight had taken off by a member of Aerlingus, we asked what we could do, they said to go back to the flight desk, on our way, we noticed that the flight was now delayed on the screens by fifteen mins. We tried to get out the way we came in but were sent back to the gate (who could guess it was aerlingus that sent us back unnacompanied) to get a member of staff to bring us through. At this stage we went back to the gate to find a member of staff. Not very nice to help at all, as if we purposely were late. No smile, no reassurance, just spite in her voice.

Eventually got back to the customer service desk, where we spoke to the agent and explained that we were held up by queues and security and that we had overheard a member of staff say that the new terminal was finding it hard to cope with the queues and understaffing. She said, "you were paged" which I can guarentee we didnt hear. And even if we did, how would we have got through security any faster? I asked why didnt they call my phone? They had the number on system. She explained that wouldnt have been procedure. She then tells us that we must pay a €75 missed flight fee. I of course asked if this could be waived due to the fact that there were long delays that were out of our hands. €75 was a lot more than the initial flight costed too. She denied us this.

I asked to speak to a manager or something to explain my case. She said it would take half an hour to get a duty manager there and he would give the same answer. I asked could she telephone him and explain our situation, she was reluctant at first but eventually agreed then she walked out into the back office, only to return within minutes with another woman, I checked her badge, it said "supervisor". And THIS is from when I felt really PISSED on by aer lingus.

I have spent the last 15 years dealing with customers day in day out, Good ones, bad ones, great ones, angry ones, violent ones and plain right stupid ones but I have never ever got agressive with any customer in my life.

As a very religious man I can put my hand down and say that I never ever once raised my voice at this woman, all I did was ask questions. She wouldnt even entertain me at first, just spouting on about rules and regulations. Once I tried to explain my case, she began to get aggitated, as if she was waiting to spit out her rebuttle rather than listening to my case. She stops me mid sentence and says "security here has nothing to do with us. im taking away the offer of the missed flight fee and charging you full price". I asked to speak to her boss and she gave me the answer that he would give me the same answer and that the missed flight fee was no longer on offer, and that I would have to wait another half hour (the next flight was leaving in 1 1/2hrs at this stage). At this stage her blood was boiling. She was close to screaming at me, even though I had been nothing but calm the entire conversation. I explained that I never felt so threathened when dealing with a representative of a company, and asked could I video the conversation but she denied me that and then she walked away from me. All in front of other customers. There was zero empathy, zero rapport, and zero customer service. She returned a few minutes later to get her story straight with the other rep.

I asked to original rep what number could i call the duty manager to complain or to call aerlingus to complain, she said there was none, no e-mail adress either, just a snail mail address.

I understand that Aerlingus is a business, and has to make up for lossed revenue when someone misses their flight, but I really felt that due to the new building, and queues it was missed, not our own fault. A simple "im sorry to hear that" or "I understand" would have been nice, but we were genuinely feeling like we were treated like scum. For a company that is held in such high regard, this woman really let them down. Her agressive nature should not be the face of aerlingus. It should be someone who has time to listen, to be friendly and offer solutions to problems, not the complete opposite.

Its killing me not to name and shame this woman here, because Im sure some of you would have dealt with her evilness at some stage but to anyone from aerlingus reading this, check the cameras at customer service. around 1 o clock saturday, all Ive said is true. If you want the name of this woman, you can pm me.

As I said, I hate coming on here ranting, but the work and effort put in to go away for my 30th birthday last weekend with my partner and my best friend was nearly ruined because of this acid tongue woman, all the time she was knowing that we didnt have time to argue because we were trying to get on the next flight, trying to frighten us with charges. Not saying Ill never fly aerlingus again, might not have any choice, but Karma will bite that that **** in the arse one of these days. Nicely.

BONT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

How long before your flight did you get to the airport?

It seems clear that it was due to a delay in security that you missed your flight, which, as Aer Lingus explained, it totally outside of their control.

They were good enough to offer a "missed flight" fee of €75. They had no obligation to even offer this to you.

Most airlines will only accept a complaint as a written letter. Nothing at all unusual there.

Maybe next time you'll ensure that you arrive in the airport giving plenty of time to catch your flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I agree with Paulw. Delays at security have nothing to do with Aer Lingus. I think they were being more than fair with you. It would be like blaming them if you could not find a parking space in the airport. Not their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Kenny DNK

Paulw wrote: »
    How long before your flight did you get to the airport?

It seems clear that it was due to a delay in security that you missed your flight, which, as Aer Lingus explained, it totally outside of their control.

They were good enough to offer a "missed flight" fee of €75. They had no obligation to even offer this to you.

Most airlines will only accept a complaint as a written letter. Nothing at all unusual there.

Maybe next time you'll ensure that you arrive in the airport giving plenty of time to catch your flight.

Hi Paul, it is very clear that you work for Aerlingus or have worked for an airline. haha. As this is the exact explanation and courtesy that I was given. I was well within my time. Airlines should have an email address or a call centre, thats just bad customer service.

So who should have to pay the fee? Me? But sure it was securitys fault then, no? Just one of them things isn't it?

Its not the fee or the fact that I missed the flight that Im pissed off over anyway, its the service. I know that when someone steps into a uniform they take on a persona of the company, and the protocols of the company, but they should never forget that its humans with feelings that they are dealing with across the counter. Its hard enough deal with situations like this, let alone when you are about to go on a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Kenny DNK wrote: »
    (1)The short of it all was we missed our flight, by minutes, held up in queues and security and were charged an extra €75 each for a "missed flight" fee.

(2)....and that we had overheard a member of staff say that the new terminal was finding it hard to cope with the queues and understaffing. She said, "you were paged" which I can guarentee we didnt hear. And even if we did, how would we have got through security any faster?

(3)I asked why didnt they call my phone? They had the number on system. She explained that wouldnt have been procedure.

(4) As a very religious man I can put my hand down and say that I never ever once raised my voice at this woman.

(5) She stops me mid sentence and says "security here has nothing to do with us. im taking away the offer of the missed flight fee and charging you full price".

(6) I explained that I never felt so threathened when dealing with a representative of a company, and asked could I video the conversation but she denied me that and then she walked away from me. All in front of other customers. There was zero empathy, zero rapport, and zero customer service.

(7) Its killing me not to name and shame this woman here...

....but Karma will bite that that <SNIP>
    in the arse one of these days. Nicely.

First of all, I can kind of empathise with your situation it has happened to me before. But to be honest, that was completely my fault, as I did not arrive in time (and like you I was only minutes late, 12 minutes to be exact). I think you may be guilty of this also - it seems you didn't get there in time for your flight (please correct me if I'm wrong).

To your points above (which I've numbered):

(1) Standard procedure - I was charged the 75.00Euro, and I don't see why you would be exempt from this either. And as already pointed out by another poster, this offer is at the discretion of Aer Lingus; they do not have to offer it to you.

(2) That is hearsay - what reason do they, or anyone for that matter, have to believe something like that? And the second point in bold - you were paged, and you say you didn't hear - that's not the airline's fault.

What you should have done, when you heard your name or when you realised you were running very late: explained nicely to the people ahead of you the situation and ask can you skip ahead and when you got to the security at the panel you should also have explained - it works, and I have seen it happen several times; people helping each other out and all that.

(3) Do you really expect a busy airline to individually and personally call their customers who are running late? I'm all for customer service, but that's taking the píss. They paged you - that's all you (should) need.

(4) That point, without trying to be rude, has no relevance in this modern world, and means nothing whatsoever to Aer Lingus.

(5) True. Security has nothing to do with them. And she was also well within her rights to rescind the offer. I have the feeling that there is more to this story than you are telling? (but of course I could be wrong, so please do not hesitate to correct me).

(6) I don't blame her for denying it; I wouldn't let a customer record me, and I can somewhat safely say neither would you.

(7) Really? So then you go ahead and name her anyway? Granted, it's only by her first name, but she could of course be the only person there with that name - bad form on your part there. (I've snipped the name in my quote incase a Mod snips it from your original post). And the personal and disgusting abuse (i.e. the use of the C word) is completely uncalled for - religious are you?:rolleyes:

I've never in my life worked for any airline, but I do fly frequently, and know to make sure I have plenty of time to get through security. In fairness, I've had major delays getting through JFK airport, especially in Nov 2001, right after 9-11. But, I have never missed a flight.

It seems clear that you just left the bare minimum amount of time to check in, and get to your flight. You obviously didn't allow extra time in case of any delay for security.

You are angry that you had to pay. But, it was not Aer Lingus fault that you missed the flight. Security have their job to do, and it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you have enough time for that. There are enough signs and notices around (when you book, on your e-ticket, etc) which advise you to give yourself plenty of time to get through security.

Maybe you were treated a little too aggressively, but we're all human, and we all have bad days. Maybe this supervisor just had a hell of a day of dealing with people were nothing but trouble.

From your posting and attitude here, I can see why she revoked the "missed flight" offer and told you to go pay the full fee.

Maybe next time you'll get to the airport earlier and give yourself enough time to go through security.

• Advertisement

First of all, I can kind of empathise with your situation it has happened to me before. But to be honest, that was completely my fault, as I did not arrive in time (and like you I was only minutes late, 12 minutes to be exact). I think you may be guilty of this also - it seems you didn't get there in time for your flight (please correct me if I'm wrong).

To your points above (which I've numbered):

(1) Standard procedure - I was charged the 75.00Euro, and I don't see why you would be exempt from this either. And as already pointed out by another poster, this offer is at the discretion of Aer Lingus; they do not have to offer it to you.

(2) That is hearsay - what reason do they, or anyone for that matter, have to believe something like that? And the second point in bold - you were paged, and you say you didn't hear - that's not the airline's fault.

What you should have done, when you heard your name or when you realised you were running very late: explained nicely to the people ahead of you the situation and ask can you skip ahead and when you got to the security at the panel you should also have explained - it works, and I have seen it happen several times; people helping each other out and all that.

(3) Do you really expect a busy airline to individually and personally call their customers who are running late? I'm all for customer service, but that's taking the píss. They paged you - that's all you (should) need.

(4) That point, without trying to be rude, has no relevance in this modern world, and means nothing whatsoever to Aer Lingus.

(5) True. Security has nothing to do with them. And she was also well within her rights to rescind the offer. I have the feeling that there is more to this story than you are telling? (but of course I could be wrong, so please do not hesitate to correct me).

(6) I don't blame her for denying it; I wouldn't let a customer record me, and I can somewhat safely say neither would you.

(7) Really? So then you go ahead and name her anyway? Granted, it's only by her first name, but she could of course be the only person there with that name - bad form on your part there. (I've snipped the name in my quote incase a Mod snips it from your original post). And the personal and disgusting abuse (i.e. the use of the C word) is completely uncalled for - religious are you?:rolleyes:

Thanks for taking the time to help.

But in answer to your points:

1) Yep, I agree. Its a business at the end of the day. They could have sold those flights.

2) Because it was the truth. I havent lied or over exagerated anything. I wouldnt have come on here if i didnt have a true story to tell.

3) Yes, I do. There was so much of a crowd the speakers were inaudible, and who's expecting to hear their name? Time did go faster than we did expect though.

4) My point was that I do not lie.

5) She was using it as a way of scaring us, and was very agressive while doing so. All we expected was some of her time.

6) I would have no bother in a customer recording me, I pride myself on how I treat my customers, after all it is them that pays my wage.

7) That was a bit low yeah. I didnt think of how it could offend other readers. I'll edit that out. thanks for pointing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Thanks for taking the time to help.

But in answer to your points:

1) Yep, I agree. Its a business at the end of the day. They could have sold those flights.

2) Because it was the truth. I havent lied or over exagerated anything. I wouldnt have come on here if i didnt have a true story to tell.

3) Yes, I do. There was so much of a crowd the speakers were inaudible, and who's expecting to hear their name? Time did go faster than we did expect though.

4) My point was that I do not lie.

5) She was using it as a way of scaring us, and was very agressive while doing so. All we expected was some of her time.

6) I would have no bother in a customer recording me, I pride myself on how I treat my customers, after all it is them that pays my wage.

7) That was a bit low yeah. I didnt think of how it could offend other readers. I'll edit that out. thanks for pointing it out.

No worries, glad I could help a bit.

The best thing you can do, if you wish to, is to follow up with the Complaints Dept. about the Supervisor's behaviour. Explain everything to them and see what they can do.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

So how long before your flight did you arrive at the airport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you remind me of one of those people on Airport or a similar programme, turning up late for their flight, and blaming everyone but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yes, thats the key question. Everyone knows there are so many variables that can delay getting to board on time (traffic en route, getting a parking space, security delays) that you really have to allow lots of time. What I'd love to know is the time of the flight and when the OP arrived at the airport.

Two other points, expecting airlines to start ringing customers who haven't checked in to see where they are is ridiculous, totally unworkable.
    The other point is he says he's religious (not sure of the relevance of this) but still uses the C word to describe the woman, not very religious I'd say.

I and I'm sure most other people allow lots of time to make their flight and can kill time having a coffee or drink if they're early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

We flew out of T2 a few weeks ago (now we always arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before flight). The place was almost completely empty and there were about 3 security staff for every customer that day. Now I could imagine there would be queues if it was busy, but I would have a hard time believing that they are in any way understaffed.

Roughly 2hrs before takeoff. Give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If security is taking a long time, you walk up to the top of the queue and show them your boarding pass - they will prioritise passengers if needs be. You could have taken this into your own hands.

None of us here can comment on the supervisor. We weren't there and you aren't an impartial witness whose description we can trust.

If you genuinely believe you have a grievance with the staff member, then lodge a complaint with Aer Lingus. I think that's your only recourse.

If security took an excessively long time, you may also want to raise a complaint with DAA, but be accurate in the complaint, i.e. when did you enter the queue and when did you exit the queue? (not when you arrived at the airport)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Blimey guys you're being harsh on the OP. How you read him to be troublesome I dont know. Certainly the words indicate nothing of the sort but hey, lets assume this guy behaved badly anyway eh....

To the OP, you missed your flight due to security, I would complain to them with the relevant facts, date, time you arrived, flight number etc. I did this once (Stansted) and they checked cameras etc, thanked me for raising the issue of the shortfall and paid for my flight out of goodwill. Something to consider.

The second issue is the attitude of the staff. I believe you are allowed to film almost anywhere in the airport, you dont have to ask (certainly before you go through security anyway) as long as you dont persistently video someone. (Stalker)

I would send a letter to Aer Lingus expecting nothing in response. Stick to the facts, keep religion out of it.

Roughly 2hrs before takeoff. Give or take.

So, you're trying to claim it took roughly 1hr 30min to 1hr 45min to get through security??? :eek:

That's giving you 15 to 30 min to check in at the desk, which should be ample, especially with online and machine checkin options.

Somehow, I find that very hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

I am assuming that the OP was in the airport in good time for the flight but was either shopping, having a coffee, a pint, reading a book, listening to ipod (hense not hearing their name being called out) .. or a multitude of other things.

By the OPs own admission they didn't keep track of time and ended up missing the flight. They could have arrived at the airport the day before, but if you don't get to the gate on time you only have yourself to blame in reality.

Rule and procedures are in place for a reason, just because it affects you does not mean the rules should be ignored.

As some one who flys a lot I have very little sympathy .. I have never missed a flight and only once nearly did .. with AerLingus as it happens.

I was flying out from Heathrow a few years back, made a mistake in thinking my arrival time was my departure time coupled with an accident on the M25 in london, I arrived at the checkin desk about 10 mins after it closed.

It was a sunday evening and it was the last flight back to dublin. I went to the ticket desk to see what could be done (only had hand luggage) and they gave me a boarding card and told me to run .. I just about made it as they were pulling the gangway back.

From your account of what happened, I would form the opinion that your actions and attitude towards the AerLingus staff wasn't appropriate and the resulting 'rudeness' that you got back was probably a reaction to your own attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sorry but you did absolutely not spend 2 hours in security. I work there and we never have queues that long, far from it.

You're just another passenger trying to blame everyone else for not giving yourself enough time. We see your kind every single day. Something doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I used to travel a lot and one morning flying with aer lingus to Heathrow I forgot my passport and had to get my partner to drive the half an hour to the airport to get it to me.

The girl at the check in desk was really great, she printed my boarding card so I wouldn't miss the flight closing, she then said that if she wasn't at the desk by the time my passport arrived she would leave it at the desk with a different staff member, told me to run and skip the queues at security to make the flight if I had to.

By the time I got the passport I had about 20mins to get through security and get to the gate - I bypassed the queue at security while showing my boarding card and explaining the situation and got to the gate on time.

Try doing that with Ryanair!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i nearly missed my last flight back from heathrow. confusion and then some idiot woman in front of me in security who decided to wear about 50 bangles on each hand thru security, and countless other jewelery!!! WTF:eek::eek:

just made it thru running.

then previously couple yr ago missed my flight out of dublin by 5 min due to landslide on n11.

neither of these things were aer lingus fault.

sh1t happens

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Personally, I could repeat bits of posts here but in essence time to move on OP, there are greater aspects of your day to day life than deserve your energy.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    Sorry but you did absolutely not spend 2 hours in security. I work there and we never have queues that long, far from it.

You're just another passenger trying to blame everyone else for not giving yourself enough time. We see your kind every single day. Something doesn't add up.

Where did I say it took 2 hrs? This is an ideal example on how the finger is pointed at the customer again. The queues at both check in and security were huge. Our Kind? Could it EVER be your fault? Or was this ever the case?
    slave1 wrote: »
    Personally, I could repeat bits of posts here but in essence time to move on OP, there are greater aspects of your day to day life than deserve your energy.

I agree... cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Paulw wrote: »
    So, you're trying to claim it took roughly 1hr 30min to 1hr 45min to get through security??? :eek:

That's giving you 15 to 30 min to check in at the desk, which should be ample, especially with online and machine checkin options.

Somehow, I find that very hard to believe.

Have to agree with this. I travel a lot and the only 2 times it took me anywhere close to 2 hours from getting to the gate from check in any airport was when the airport was packed due to bad weather and delayed flights and a power cut.

I also find it very hard to believe it took you 2 hours in Dublin airport to get from check in to gate thus missing your flight. My opinion is all.

Oh and to add I have missed flights due to my own fault i.e the usual things like getting there with not enough time in case of delay. 2 hours is actually my new min allowance for all European flights and 3 hours for long haul. Best safe and not sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

OP €75 is a very reasonable missed flight fee. Big deal if it's more than you paid for the original flight. I've had to rebook a full flight with Ryanair due to delayed train. Cost was over €200. €75 for a last minute booking for essentially a new flight is reasonable.

I'd have no problem letting a customer video record me. I'd also probably be as unhelpful as I could in response to such a weird request.

Being a religious man has nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You missed your flight, your problem, not Aer Lingus.

Turn up earlier the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Where did I say it took 2 hrs? This is an ideal example on how the finger is pointed at the customer again. The queues at both check in and security were huge. Our Kind? Could it EVER be your fault? Or was this ever the case?

I sympathise with you I really do. As an employee of DAA I regularly see passengers who have arrived too late at their gate and miss their flight.

A lot of the time it's because they don't pay attention - due to distraction, boredom or excitement - to what the check-in assistant is saying !! I've lost count of the number of customers who ask if I know where Gate 23F is !! They point to this number, which has been circled in pen by the check in staff, and get annoyed then when they are told that this is their seat number !! Many contradict to the point of walking away accusing you of being a gobsh!te !! They then end up walking around the airport looking for the elusive Gate 23F !!

This may not have been the case with the OP but is an example of what could and does happen.

As for Security Procedures - the DAA are fined heavily for every minute over 30 you are in the que for. There are CSA's with stop watches at each security point timing passengers from the time they join the queue until they get to the boarding pass check. The fines can be in excess of 80,000 euro per minute over the allowed 30. I have never in my 30 years at the airport heard of anyone spending over 1.5 hours in this queue !! With the exception of extraordinary circumstances such as the ash clouds, extreme weather or aircraft emergencies which were definitely not in effect on the day the OP travelled !!

Ken

I fly with AL once or twice a month. Even at peak summer package-holiday times where the queues were unbelievably snaked all around T1 - I've never seen such long queues - even then, it did not even remotely take an hour and half. I always arrive 2 hours before my flight and I have always been sitting waiting at the gate. My only flight to date with T2, I got through security with pretty much no queues.

It's a pain you missed your flight but try and show up on time next time and don't try blaming everyone else but yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Says alot when the OP made a 1000 word post without stating the amount of time he/she spent in the airport before they missed the flight.

I used to fly once a month to London or the midlands with AL, 06:30 or 07:00 in the morning. Worst I ever had was a 1.5 hr line for security.

In terminal 1 it went from beside the entrance to the left wall and snaked maybe 5 times to the door of security. All the time someone came along and kept checking our boarding cards to see what time our flight was and moved people appropriately.

Still on the flight there were people giving out to the AL staff that they had no time for a breakfast and a cuppa!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If its Aerlingus I've usually the first person at the gate and the last person to get on.

It's it Ryanair I'll be the first in the queue to get on the plane, mainly becuase I only bring hand luggage and it gets full fairly quick on ryanair flights.

Longest wait I had in Dublin airport was 2 hours, queue was out the door, that was in 2008, don't know what the holdup was.

Better to get there earlier anyway, less stress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's it Ryanair I'll be the first in the queue to get on the plane, mainly becuase I only bring hand luggage and it gets full fairly quick on ryanair flights.

Why? The plane leaves at the same time....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Following an EU inspection at Dublin airport a few years ago, replica bomb and knives were smuggled through security checks at the airport. In true Irish style, the lads at security started sulking and decided to start over checking everyone who presented causing several hours delayed and scores of people missing flights.

Advertisement