Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

jujitsu book???

• 15-03-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all I want to buy myself a good book on jujitsu. the history and story from beginning any recommendations would be appreciated thanks:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Renzo Gracie's Mastering JuJitsu is probably your best bet. From what I remember its co written by John Danahar and has a ton of history and theory as opposed to a lot of techniques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

I assume its BJJ you mean? The Gracie Way is a good read and has some great old photos in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The first couple of chapters of Total MMA are a good read bout how it all stared. Not sure of the accuracy of it, but if it's in a book, it must be true!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Hanley wrote: »
    Not sure of the accuracy of it, but if it's in a book, it must be true!!

I'm convinced the history of every martial art is a complete and utter fabrication. It's not something that keeps me awake at night though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

'university of jiu-jitsu' by saulo ribeiro is a very comprehensive guide on the fundamentals of BJJ I find it very useful.

• Advertisement

da-bres wrote: »
    'university of jiu-jitsu' by saulo ribeiro is a very comprehensive guide on the fundamentals of BJJ I find it very useful.
    It's a brilliant book, but it doesn't have much on BJJ history in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Is it BJJ or traditional Japanese Jujitsu you're interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dave92

Is it BJJ or traditional Japanese Jujitsu you're interested in?

sorry guys should have stated its Bjj I was looking for mainly but dont mind reading into the Japanese style either and thanks for the replys:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

For history on authentic Japanese Jujutsu... i.e. the type that uses weapons/strikes/kicks as well as grappling/locks etc... then you should get books by English speaking authorities on the matter....

Karl Friday, Meik/Diane Skoss & David Lowry are a good start.

This book is ok too...

"Classical Fighting Arts of Japan: A Complete Guide to Koryu Jujutsu" by Tanaka

Japanese "jujutsu" is wrapped up in terms like "bujutsu" (martial skills) and "koryu budo" (old traditions of martial ways) as well as "taijutsu" (body skills).. so worth checking out those terms as well.

wikipedia is your freind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

da-bres wrote: »

Keep meaning to pick this up! Cheers for the reminder!

• Advertisement

I've been told The Gracie Way buy Kid Peligro is a good read, though lacking in objectivity.

Also it's not a book and it's not really about BJJ history, but you should check out the documentary "Choke", which is about Rickson Gracie competing in Japan in the mid 90s.

If you're into proper historic stuff, then I hear Donn Draeger's books are very good.

I've been told The Gracie Way buy Kid Peligro is a good read, though lacking in objectivity.

I found it irritatingly subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dave92

thanks guys some great recommendations there, will be placing an order soon:D
    may even treat myself to two!!

Advertisement