Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing from Adobe Illustrator?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I usually save my .AI files in .PDF format and save as 'High quality image' before printing.
    Recently I tried printing the .AI file directly and there is no obvious difference in the quality of the prints.

Do I really need to convert to PDF? What are the pros and cons if any? Which is likely to use more ink (colour printing).
    Interested to hear some views on this thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

why did you think PDF was necessary to print? PDF is to make documents portable for use on other computers. The AI file printed from illustrator is the most raw version to use for printing. Depending on whether you have raster images included etc. the PDF may compress some of the artwork and so reduce the print quality. On a desktop printer there would be very little difference in ink usage between the 2 formats. If you are printing on someone else's computer then you are better off with a PDF, it will do its job of avoiding issues with missing fonts or linked files etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Hi Flanree,
    I was initially treking in and out to local graphics design co. every time I needed to print, and getting my printing done by them.I have sometimes emailed them a PDF doc for printing and collected the print later. They wanted the pdf format from me.

I purchased the same printer that they were using and they told me for best quality prints, firstly save as A PDF and set to 'High Quality' etc .
    I asssumed they knew what they were talking about and followed their instructions.

I seem to be getting thru a lot of ink and getting nowhere near the amount of prints suggested on the cartridges. Would this have anything to do with the settings?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

repro places want pdf's as it contains all the information for your artwork. If you send them AI files you will also need to send them fonts, linked images etc. It's a lot messier. Also PDF has agreed standards for printed output, .AI's change with every version.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

I'd say the cartridge manufacturers are basing usage on prints with average colour use, maybe just text? If you reduce the ink usage by using a more 'economy' print setting the print will just suffer. It doen't hurt to try each of the various settings the Printer offers but I wouldn't bother change any print settings in illustrator. When you have the Print window open click on options, properties or advanced (whatever that printer offers) and try the different quality settings. One ink saving measure would be to ensure the illustrator document colour mode is CMYK not RGB. Any solid areas of black can be made up of 100% black and say 20% magenta and 20% cyan. RGB black has much higher ink usage always use CMYK (the printer converts RGB to CMYK anyway but it will print a much heavier black from RGB).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    repro places want pdf's as it contains all the information for your artwork. If you send them AI files you will also need to send them fonts, linked images etc. It's a lot messier. Also PDF has agreed standards for printed output, .AI's change with every version.

Plus someone that doesn't know better could easily send a 5 or 6 colour job in an ai file, whereas converting to PDF makes it very easy to convert to CMYK only.

Also you'll get your bleeds, crops, registration marks etc

The design company would probably throw an extra charge on for getting a raw ai file to print.

• Advertisement
Advertisement