Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Limerick Leader Website - Same News

• 15-03-2011 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Why is it always bad news stories that are highlighted on the LL website, same day after day, get a bit of variety and start reporting on the positive things that are going on around Limerick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Just checked what you were saying front page on website

Limerick holding biggest St Patricks day parade in the country
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/community/limerick_to_stage_ireland_s_biggest_st_patrick_s_day_parade_1_2500686

Andy Lee winning
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick_s_andy_lee_delivers_knockout_blow_1_2499140

Unfortunately bad news sells but what can you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nutri Eire

A rareity believe me, but all the same nice to see a few positive stories. A few more outside of sport would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

news in all forms whether it be on Telly, online, or in the paper give the people what they want to hear. The sad reality is people in general want to hear bad news (not saying you do). It might sound strange but its true. Good news is boring, bad news isnt. Bad news sells!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I do dislike the way they have the 'city crime briefs' column in the Chronicle - it seems a little OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

I do dislike the way they have the 'city crime briefs' column in the Chronicle - it seems a little OTT.

Just wondering, who would really BUY the actual newspaper anymore?! there's nothing you can't get online about limerick instantly and in realtime including the site I am on now. This overhyped outdated rag is just really bought imo out of habit by some folks. Newspapers like this are a waste of money and soon they will be like last winters snow.... gone forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Once its owners lived in the city - I think the new owners probably couldnt give a ****e. Its always full of spelling mistakes.

Would rather read the Limerick Post tbh

brousuka wrote: »
    Just wondering, who would really BUY the actual newspaper anymore?! there's nothing you can't get online about limerick instantly and in realtime including the site I am on now. This overhyped outdated rag is just really bought imo out of habit by some folks. Newspapers like this are a waste of money and soon they will be like last winters snow.... gone forever.

I get it in the door for free - would never buy it in a month of Sundays. But as it's free I flick through it on my lunch break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

a newspaper reporting crime, imagine it

krudler wrote: »
    a newspaper reporting crime, imagine it

It is not major crime though - but really minor stuff like 'a laptop was stolen from a house last week in x' and 'a handbag was taken from a car' - this stuff goes on all the time in every city and putting it in the newspaper like that does no favours for limerick in terms of PR. I can't think of another paper that has such a column.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

It is not major crime though - but really minor stuff like 'a laptop was stolen from a house last week in x' and 'a handbag was taken from a car' - this stuff goes on all the time in every city and putting it in the newspaper like that does no favours for limerick in terms of PR. I can't think of another paper that has such a column.

I can think of three just off the top of my head:

*Sligo Champion
    *Galway Advertiser
    *Westmeath Independent

I'm sure there are many others but these are just the ones which I read with any degree of regularity

• Advertisement

Ah fair enough - I guess I am just used to Dublin newspapers where there is less small-scale / local news (or maybe just so much large scale crime that there is no room for anything else lol!). I'll cherish the city crime briefs column from now on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

But my laptop was stolen :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Most the people that buy the local newspaper do it for the sport section , Junior Soccer fixtures, Schoolboy Fixtures, Munster Rugby and GAA. Outside of that i don't think many people buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I get it in the letterbox, have a look at the cinema listings and bin it usually, I dont care if Celia Holman Lee or whatever her name is was in Aubars on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I dont think thats supposed to fully serve the purpose of being just news, I think its more to do with with it being a service, i.e. warning people , it helps prevent naivety and complacency.

Advertisement