Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M. Ed Research Proposal TCD

Options
  • 15-03-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have applied for a Masters in Education in TCD for this September.
    I need to submit a research proposal with my topic, methodologies and basically everything I want to do before I even get in!
    Has anyone done this masters before or submitted this proposal or something similar. Needs to be in in 8 weeks and I'm panicking!

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭beatle

I am also applying for an MRes (not in the same college though) and my advice would be to find a supervisor asap! I have gotten great help and advice from my supervisor and to write the proposal without her would have been much harder.

I found her by checking the staff in the relevant faculty and then emailing my research ideas. My supervisor contacted me as it was an area she was very familiar with and interested in and after an initial meeting decided to help me with the proposal and funding applications etc. I did not do my undergrad in the same college but if you did it is probably easier for you to target the right supervisor I would imagine.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭LilMsss

Hi all,

I have applied for a Masters in Education in TCD for this September.
    I need to submit a research proposal with my topic, methodologies and basically everything I want to do before I even get in!
    Has anyone done this masters before or submitted this proposal or something similar. Needs to be in in 8 weeks and I'm panicking!

R

I used to lecture in the School of Ed. in TCD. Don't panic too much about your proposal just yet, as there is plenty of time to work it out once you have started.

Is it the M.Ed. or the M.St. you are applying for? The M.St. is a part-time course for teachers, and usually students on it would have completed a certain number of education-related modules, and then would do a Research Methods module which would help develop their thesis proposal.

The other course, the M.Ed. is a taught masters, and as far as I recall, the thesis proposal doesn't have to be submitted until much later in the course. I used to teach on the M.St. and a friend of mine is currently doing the M.Ed.

From your post, it would appear that you are applying for a research masters. If that is the case, then 8 weeks is plenty of time. I posted in the postgrad forum a while back with tips for writing a PhD proposal, but these can be adapted as a starting point for a masters as well. As another poster said, if it is a research masters, then definitely approach an academic member of staff and get them agree to supervise you before you submit.

If you want to PM me with your topic/area, I might be able to recommend someone in the School of Ed. for you to make contact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 oat

Hi,

I'm also hoping to apply for the M.Ed (option 3). The website isn't very clear, it mentions that classes will take place evenings and weekends but doesn't say how often. Does anyone know the details? How many evenings a week would it be? I'll be commuting.

Advertisement