Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

educo gym? fad or

Options
  • 15-03-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

hi all,

just wondering waht ya'll in the know would think about diet/fitness regime they offer at the educo gym? i am looking to lose weight and really tone up. i gave birth 2 months ago so my understanding is that i must wait three months before doing any gym work or weight lifting. i beleive the diet works on ketosis-burning fat and then is a low fat diet.

my main problems are not too much weight to lose, i am 66.5kgs and 5 foot 5 (62kgs before pregnancy) but need to really really tone up, especially my jelly belly!

i have a terrible diet, have a really bad sweet tooth and love savory snaks too.

i havent much time on my hands now!

basiclly i would like to know is this diet and weight work safe? or is a diet like weight watchers/cardio better?

(please bear in mind i am a complete novice!) also if anyone has alternative suggestions please advise!

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

oh dear....:( that dosn't sound good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm not an expert, but I'd sooner have a punt off collecting my winnings for the Nigerian lottery than I would spend a penny on that shower.

Read the stickies on this forum, identify what your goals are (lose a few pounds, lose a lot of pounds, get fitter etc). Joining a gym is always an option, but you can also get some great initial results at home. However going into a gym you need to have a clear and structured plan or else you'll just plod about and end up dropping off exercise altogether.

Your diet here is key, especially if you're talking about trimming fat off your body; by your own admission you eat rubbish. That needs to go firstly. So to sum up, read (and properly read it) the stickies at the top and you'll have an idea of what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

thanks for that-will have a look... suppose im just desperate to get rid of my belly asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

thanks for that-will have a look... suppose im just desperate to get rid of my belly asap!

Well that's the very last place you should go then,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I know, I know - this place has been done to death on here and nobody likes the guy who bumps 1.5 year old threads.... but.... saw this elsewhere from a guy who started Educo's 12-day programme this week...

So I started this plan today. Spent yesterday preparing for the next 3 weeks. Bought new Gym gear and went food shopping and other bits so the Prep was motivating in itself. I will be doing 4 sessions per week for 3 weeks, Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sun @ 7am, So I've made a big change in lifestyle already by being up and active from the offset.

I have to take 5 Amino R tabs @ 6am and 5 Amino Acid tabs 3 times daily with meals, So 20 tabs a day with a scoop of creatine in the morning and evening.

Workout was decent, 20mins no rest, 3sets of 6 reps per excercise, Had a shower and sat in the car to head to work and my arms wewre vibrating.

Diet plan is decent. No Tuna or Chicken as its " Naked Protein " So I'm on Steaks, Salmon, Philadelphia Cheese with fried eggs, Bacon. Usual Salad stuffs so its not to bad, Only annoying thing is no Juice, Milk and obivious nasty stuff. I have nothing to loose for the 3w weeks and I finish the day before I go away on holidays so its good motivation to getb in good shape before I go.

I done measurements this morning and I will have results on my next session which is wednesday so it will be interesting to see the Before and After results. Trainer reckons i'll shred alot of fat and build alot of muscle and have good definition and a big change so fingers crossed all goes well

What the f*ck is 'Naked Protein'?? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

hi all,

just wondering waht ya'll in the know would think about diet/fitness regime they offer at the educo gym? i am looking to lose weight and really tone up. i gave birth 2 months ago so my understanding is that i must wait three months before doing any gym work or weight lifting. i beleive the diet works on ketosis-burning fat and then is a low fat diet.

my main problems are not too much weight to lose, i am 66.5kgs and 5 foot 5 (62kgs before pregnancy) but need to really really tone up, especially my jelly belly!

i have a terrible diet, have a really bad sweet tooth and love savory snaks too.

i havent much time on my hands now!

basiclly i would like to know is this diet and weight work safe? or is a diet like weight watchers/cardio better?

(please bear in mind i am a complete novice!) also if anyone has alternative suggestions please advise!

thanks!

Dont bother with anything as intensive and demanding as educo.

You say yourself you are a complete novice and your diet is crap.

Go down to Easons and buy a very simple book to educate yourself on the basics of healthy eating and diet.

You are the mother of a new born, this will be physically demanding enough and you will need all the energy you have.

Just learn to eat healthily and avoid all the crap that you already know is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

ebixa82 wrote: »

Go down to Easons and buy a very simple book to educate yourself on the basics of healthy eating and diet.

You are the mother of a new born, this will be physically demanding enough and you will need all the energy you have.

Just learn to eat healthily and avoid all the crap that you already know is bad.
    i give the educo gyms another 6-12months and they wont exist any more.

plenty more proper training facilities (gyms that actually know what they are doing rather than sticking people on a 20min circuit of machines) opening up run by smart, passionate and supportive people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Can anybody shed any light on what the term 'Naked Protein' means and why it might be considered 'bad' by the EduCo heads?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

why dont you try find some boxing classes do them 2 to 3 times a week plus you can take out some stress off having a new born on a punching bag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

D24 Fitness in Tallaght do a special mums class, you can even bring baby!

306537_492938360722924_1770838204_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Danye

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I know, I know - this place has been done to death on here and nobody likes the guy who bumps 1.5 year old threads.... but.... saw this elsewhere from a guy who started Educo's 12-day programme this week...

What the f*ck is 'Naked Protein'?? :confused:

LSL ;)

The lads over there seem to like Educo.

They could do a lot worse than checking out here and reading the stickies!

I also would love to know what "Naked Protein" is??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Transform wrote: »
    ebixa82 wrote: »

i give the educo gyms another 6-12months and they wont exist any more.

plenty more proper training facilities (gyms that actually know what they are doing rather than sticking people on a 20min circuit of machines) opening up run by smart, passionate and supportive people.

I think you underestimate human stupidity and the nature of trying to get results instantly :) lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

forget that Educo gym & try bootcamp... best way to get fit without even realising and doesnt matter if your a beginner at excercising - they have a mummy bootcamp aswell http://www.bootcampireland.com/index.php/programs/mummy-bootcamp

theyl offer you nutritional advice aswell, or go to weightwatchers or uni-slim to educate yourself about eating properly and to get some handy tips to combat the sweet tooth!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

chuckster wrote: »
    forget that Educo gym & try bootcamp... best way to get fit without even realising and doesnt matter if your a beginner at excercising - they have a mummy bootcamp aswell http://www.bootcampireland.com/index.php/programs/mummy-bootcamp

theyl offer you nutritional advice aswell, or go to weightwatchers or uni-slim to educate yourself about eating properly and to get some handy tips to combat the sweet tooth!

Good luck!
    bootcamp = good idea

weight watchers or unislim for nutrition info = fail.

Read the nutrition stickes here if you want the best info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Raven_Melody

I just walked past a Educo 'trainer' on my lunch there with his branded tshirt on... The guy looked like a gust of wind would blow him over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liamith

I know Im very late in this conversation but i have done the educogym gym twice now the first time in the parnells street one the review was right he was terrible but the second time i done it in grand canal dock and they where brilliant was a great experience and got great results

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Drags up a 7 month old thread to write his 1st post on boards and give a branch great praise with no details. Hmmm skeptical cat is skeptical....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

liamith wrote: »
    I know Im very late in this conversation but i have done the educogym gym twice now the first time in the parnells street one the review was right he was terrible but the second time i done it in grand canal dock and they where brilliant was a great experience and got great results

If it's so great, why'd you have to go a second time?

One of the most fundamental parts of a health and fitness program is sustainability and life long change. Sounds like a big fail there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭black123

Hanley wrote: »

If it's so great, why'd you have to go a second time?

One of the most fundamental parts of a health and fitness program is sustainability and life long change. Sounds like a big fail there.

I know this for a fact......The education instructors do a ten programme in the Bahamas or somewhere, which another con in itself, but after the 10 days the qualify them as instructors. Unfortunately gym instructors are not regulated in Ireland but would you really like a 10 day trained instructor giving you advice. They also increase weights by 10% on a daily basis which goes against every rule in the book. I've meet two physiotherapists who deal with a lot of people who worked out in educo who now have back problems. So the advice is to be careful and logically if you think about it there's no quick fix good diet and exercise is the only way.

I joined boards to comment on it..I done it twice because alot of stuff happened in my life in between and i totally abandoned the gym...but since doin it the second time i regulated my own diet and went to a normal gym three times a week since...its only a kick start i wouldn't do it on a day to day basis....the last time i done it i lost a stone in twelve days

I joined boards to comment on it..I done it twice because alot of stuff happened in my life in between and i totally abandoned the gym...but since doin it the second time i regulated my own diet and went to a normal gym three times a week since...its only a kick start i wouldn't do it on a day to day basis....the last time i done it i lost a stone in twelve days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Please avoid these guys. Very dangerous outfit, I have recent experience of this. You will hear soon enough in the press when it gets out and I have a feeling it will probably shut the business down.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

From what I gather it depends on which Educogym you go to. I go to the one in Oranmore in Galway and I find it fantastic. I joined before I got married 6 months ago, got into the habit and am still going. I have always been naturally slim but I find it has toned me up no end. They don't push the diet or protein shake/tony quinn thing on me at all. The instructors are really supportive, helpful and positive. I don't follow the crazy diet and they don't push me to do so. The major con is the cost- it is sooo expensive. But it is handy and does the trick for me. Two months in educogym would work out the same as a years membership elsewhere but the difference for me is the motivation factor- I've paid full membership for a gym and never used the place. My two cents anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

black123 wrote: »
    I know this for a fact......The education instructors do a ten programme in the Bahamas or somewhere, which another con in itself, but after the 10 days the qualify them as instructors. Unfortunately gym instructors are not regulated in Ireland but would you really like a 10 day trained instructor giving you advice. They also increase weights by 10% on a daily basis which goes against every rule in the book. I've meet two physiotherapists who deal with a lot of people who worked out in educo who now have back problems. So the advice is to be careful and logically if you think about it there's no quick fix good diet and exercise is the only way.

now in fairness i wouldn't read into the increasing the weight 10% each day, what weights are people starting off on etc etc
    The physio story is somewhat farcical too! sounds like a bit of exageration going on man!

don't get me wrong, i do not recommend educo at all, tony quinns eccles st was my first gym, one of the few gyms around back in the day, good little set up, with some decent enough bodybuilders there, but then quinn really started to kick off his little brain washing enterprise, gym changed quite a bit, a lot of guys left as clearly the business orientation was definitely about attracting more well off folk.
    i also attended a seminar in Dublin, it was a free one to gym members or well invited ones, i thought it was a bit mental- was my impression but other people were well into it, the mind boggles!!!
    Its been a good 18 years since i was in eccles st gym, great memories, sad to see the way it's gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

Joe Hart wrote: »
    Please avoid these guys. Very dangerous outfit, I have recent experience of this. You will hear soon enough in the press when it gets out and I have a feeling it will probably shut the business down.

Tony Quinn is no stranger to the scrutiny of the media, the courts and general huxterism. Safe to say he does not care!
    Avoid, and follow a programme from here, or go to any of the websites/buy a magazine to help you get started yourself in a regular gym. All the guys in the gym will give you pointers if you just ask, never be afraid to ask for help or advice.

shed head wrote: »
    now in fairness i wouldn't read into the increasing the weight 10% each day, what weights are people starting off on etc etc
    The physio story is somewhat farcical too! sounds like a bit of exageration going on man!

don't get me wrong, i do not recommend educo at all, tony quinns eccles st was my first gym, one of the few gyms around back in the day, good little set up, with some decent enough bodybuilders there, but then quinn really started to kick off his little brain washing enterprise, gym changed quite a bit, a lot of guys left as clearly the business orientation was definitely about attracting more well off folk.
    i also attended a seminar in Dublin, it was a free one to gym members or well invited ones, i thought it was a bit mental- was my impression but other people were well into it, the mind boggles!!!
    Its been a good 18 years since i was in eccles st gym, great memories, sad to see the way it's gone!

I wouldn't put up this post if it wasn't true. I have met two physios who had to help people with back problems because of educo and I know someone personally who was at a Bahamas seminar along with his brothers he is now married into the family and told me that they do 'certify' you after 10 days to be a gym instructor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement