Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me with what to say to get job

Options
  • 15-03-2011 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

My issue is regarding a job I really want which I thought would be mine.
    I worked for as a temporary receptionist for a large bank in dublin city centre for a period of 3 months to cover a womans maternity leave.
    In this time I fell in love with the job. The woman was undecided as to whether she would return and my boss told me this. She told me if the woman didnt return the job would be mine. At the time I wasnt 100% sure if i wanted the job permanently as i was considering doing a post graduate in something and i told this to my boss.
    Anyway once the woman decided she was in fact returning to work, I realised I did in fact miss the job and wanted it and would rather just do the job rather than a post graduate degree.
    I told my former boss how I felt and she told me she understood and if the woman ever left, she would keep me in mind.
    My friend from the bank rang me to tell me that the woman is leaving the job next week and there have been many interviews taking place in the bank for the new position. I am absolutely devastated. I have no idea where the job was advertised so I did not apply.
    I suppose I always assumed I would have heard about the job if it became available.

I suppose I'm wondering why I was not considered...
    Is there anything I can say to the manager that could make her change her mind? I don't want to pretend I heard about it but what can I say.
    I like the job so much and if it ever became available again I would drop anything for it. Is there anything I could email or ring the manager to say that would make her consider me even in the future if it is too late now??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Perhaps the manager is not allowed to contact potential people who may be suitable for the job? It does happen in companies?

Your best bet is to see if you can find the job ad and see if you can apply late, or email the manager with an application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Phone the manager, say you heard xyz is leaving and the role is vacant & that you really enjoyed the job and working with the team... that's all you can say! be honest.

Advertisement