Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting trained as electrician?

• 15-03-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi,
    i have done bachelor degree in electrical engineering ?
    But i would like to get trained as electrician in either industry based or domestic based...?
    Can you guys suggest me where would i get such certified training courses around dublin...?
    Dublin city centre would be preferred ..!!
    thanks guys ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

You would need to find an electrical contractor who would be willing to hire you and register you as an apprentice with fas. Might be difficult with the way things are at the moment but best of luck with it!!

Youll find all the info you need here:

http://fas.ie/en/Training/Apprenticeships/default.htm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 to Rob's post

The only way to qualify as an electrician in Ireland is by "serving your time" as an apprentice electrician. This process normally takes a minimum of 4 calendar years to complete.

The apprenticeship is very much hands on. In general terms about 25% of the 4 years is spent in college and the rest on site.

For me most of the learning is gained by actually doing rather than the college part.

Typically apprentices are industry sponsored, meaning that they persuade a suitable employer to employ them as an apprentice who will formally register them as an apprentice with Fás.

At the moment I think you will have real difficulty finding a job as an apprentice, and if you do there is a reasonable chance that you will not be kept for the full 4 years. Currently there are large numbers of apprentices and electricians seeking employment. Due to the current climate many qualified electricians are now full time engineering students! I have spent over 20 years in the in some aspect of the electrical industry to date, and although I know many electricians that became engineers I have never met an engineer that became an electrician. During the boom time this might have made sense, but I do not think it would now.

From my own experience, I found that there was very little overlap between an electrical apprenticeship and an electrical engineering degree (which is not what I expected).

A fantastic engineer may not necessarily make a good electrician. Also, like many electricians I have been handed plenty of poorly designed drawings by experienced electrical engineers. From that perspective hands on electrical experience can be invaluable to an electrical design engineer.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Advertisement