Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAFFE ITALIA - AVOID IS MY ADVICE

Options
  • 15-03-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi, for anyone out there thinking of purchasing any equipment from Caffe Italia (http://www.coffeeitalia.ie/) I strongly recommend that you don't do so.

We recently purchased a Gaggia machine from them. The steam system has failed and been repaired (thermostat, thermostat fuse, PCB) twice and is gone again.

The contact person for Caffe Italia (http://www.coffeeitalia.ie/) is now completely ignoring our e-mails and phone messages. We have followed the original advice (2 different service centres) but now we are being totally ignored.

Trust me, steer clear. This is good warning.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've copied this post across to consumer issues for all the regulars here to offer some appropriate advice.

You're certainly not the first poster I've seen complain about this company on the forum. If you paid via credit card perhaps you could open a dispute?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How much did the machine cost? And did you buy it as a Consumer or Business?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

What was the value of the equipment? When was it purchased and when did it go wrong? Was this a B&M or internet purchase,?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Internet Purchase. 370 quid. Personal, not business. Purchased January this year.

After sending MANY e-mails, the last one being a stinker, I got a one-line reply yesterday evening saying "You have to contact the service center and complain about the reparation."
    Having already had the machine repaired twice with 2 different companies, I felt this wasn't good enough.

I also managed to finally get him on the phone yesterday evening. I basically had spent the entire day hitting redial until the phone was answered.

He told me it wasn't his problem as he didn't make the machine. I asked for an address to write a complaint and also if the machine was irreperable, to contact for a refund or replacement. I know he's in the UK. He wouldn't give me the address and kept referring me to the info@ e-mail address.

Then he said again that it wasn't his problem and hung up on me.

I have contacted the (most recent) service centre who seem to be really good people and said they would strip the machine to try to find the underlying cause. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of it. Otherwise, I suppose I will have to get them to e-mail me that it needs to be replaced, then I forward the mail to this guy and start the hassling all over again.

My main problem, and the reason I would advise to avoid, is the complete lack of responsibility taken by the vendor. If you buy something from Caffe Italia and you have a problem, good luck with getting them to take any responsibility for it.

Also, my wife, who bought the machine for me as a surprise present, will be contacting the bank today to discuss a chargeback but I'm not sure what the criteria will be before they instigate this.

One more repair from Kenilworth Electrical (they're sound, I'd have no hope if it wasn't for them) and then, if the problem re-occurs, I will hound this guy until I get satisfaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

That's a real shame, happened to me too. I contacted the bank and did everything they asked for, packed up the machine and shipped it back. The bank then refunded the money.

I think there is alredy a sticky post in the coffee forum about this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

will be contacting the bank today to discuss a chargeback

have you considered the Small Claims Court? Based on value and the fact that it was a personal purchase, you meet the criteria. It costs €15 to file and you don't need a solicitor.

One more repair from Kenilworth Electrical (they're sound, I'd have no hope if it wasn't for them) and then, if the problem re-occurs, I will hound this guy until I get satisfaction.

Wait for the repair. If the problem recurs, then I would write a registered letter to the company outlining the previous history. Offer them 10 business days to resolve the situation satisfactorily or else face a claim in the SCC.

Thanks for the advice. I think that is the best course to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Will the OP have any joy though if the seller is based in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Perhaps OP will find this website useful
    http://www.ukecc.net/sub.asp?id=183

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Cheers.

Advertisement