Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to block gambling online

• 15-03-2011 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all

Can anyone advise me of a good website and hopefully free!! to block
    gambling websites on my laptop (as i have a problem with gambling)
    any advice would be great

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you have a problem with gambling, I don't see software that you could disable at a whim being the solution to your problem. Blocking software is only effective if you don't have access to it, and even then its only "rather effective" at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

Assuming you have a gambling Problem ( that's "Problems" with a capital P) then, as aidan_walsh suggested, any program you use will be of limited effectiveness. Try gamblers anonymous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It should go without saying - but I'll mention it anyway. Cancel your credit cards you use online.

Good luck with the future, fair play to seeing that you have a problem AND admitting it to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

As stated it's pretty easy to bypass software you install. One suggestion I'd offer is if you install k9 and it asks for a password open notepad, hit a load of random keys and then copy and paste the text into the password and confirm password part. When you have it set up and tested it's working properly close notepad without saving.

It's still not a great solution by any stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

The best solution is to contact each bookie, online and otherwise, tell them about this problem and not to accept bets from you or any of your credit/laser cards. They are obligated to not accept any of your bets.

I'd advise starting a thread in the Gambling forum, a lot of helpful posters over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

gnolan wrote: »
    The best solution is to contact each bookie, online and otherwise, tell them about this problem and not to accept bets from you or any of your credit/laser cards. They are obligated to not accept any of your bets.

I'd advise starting a thread in the Gambling forum, a lot of helpful posters over there.
    I heard Paddy Power talking about this a few weeks ago. He seems to take it very seriously. i think i remember when i opened my PP account there are options to stop you gambling too much or at all.

Advertisement