Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUPER SALE SUNDAY 20th MARCH

Options
  • 15-03-2011 11:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46

Did anyone else get a leaflet called "Hometec Promotions" saying

"Due to bad weather and over stocking through the Christmas a number of Irish retailers and major UK high street stores have instructed us to clear over €5,000,000 worth og household, electrical & audio visual stock"

I, for one instantly thought brilliant from ps3 priced €40 and iPod nanos priced €35 but then I had it sink in and thought to myself this must be some sort of scam. I had a search online and a few forums too had this but not in Dublin but Cork, Galway etc but no one mentioned anything after they visited the place. Anyone know anything about this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The one about the auction in the Green Isle hotel (Clondalkin)? Yeah, I got it in the door yesterday.

Those prices are minimum reserve prices. You'd need to add 15% auction fee and on top of that 21% VAT on what ever the highest bid is...

And you have to pay €2 admission per person. Me, I won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Are they based in Carlow, by any chance?

---

Edit...

Read this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

i've done a few searches on these leaflets in general the feedback on these thing are that its actually an auction with no real way of telling who is actually bidding...:confused:

i will throw them €2 for the hell of it, after all it could be worth it if nobody else decides to turn up! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I was going to head down to this but after reading that other thread .... well let's just say the devil is in the detail! :)

Thought it was too good to be true to get a PS3 for €50!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭antopanto

louie12ie wrote: »
    Did anyone else get a leaflet called "Hometec Promotions" saying

"Due to bad weather and over stocking through the Christmas a number of Irish retailers and major UK high street stores have instructed us to clear over €5,000,000 worth og household, electrical & audio visual stock"

I, for one instantly thought brilliant from ps3 priced €40 and iPod nanos priced €35 but then I had it sink in and thought to myself this must be some sort of scam. I had a search online and a few forums too had this but not in Dublin but Cork, Galway etc but no one mentioned anything after they visited the place. Anyone know anything about this???

This is a complete con, when you get there it is an auction, the public a duped into thinking they are going to get the bargain of a lifetime, but end up paying over the odds for dodgy equipment,they would not normally buy in a million years, and have no way of getting a refund, as a gang of builders appear from nowhere, and throw you out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭misterdarkness

I went to this today. did not get a flier, friend called me and asked me if i wanted to go to a sale and not knowing any more details i went, on arrival i knew it was total scam. Very well acted out scam from the guy on the mic right down to floor guys all there to whip up a frenzy and boy did they do it, was watching people lapping it all up. Obvious they had plants in the crowd to start the bidding.

I am not sure its legal at all. In my opinion they should require a casual trading permit.

Let me give you all example of what else they were doing. Seeling made in china MAC sets which my ex was professional MU artist so i know what the real deal looks like and how its packaged.

Moved on to these expensive cooking pots retail 1400 giving to us lucky people for the low low price of 250 (i think that was it) i pad for 300 now they only had 1 but if you rang the number on flier and ordered it over phone and paid over phone you get it in 10 days for 300 thats the 64gb 3g one :) what a deal but safe to say you pay and number is disconnected then lol. Mind you there is that old saying there is one born every minute and alot of those people turned up for this :)

Id have never went in first place if i knew what i was being taken too :) my friend was born in one of those minutes too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sinjim

I was at one of these yesterday in the radisson airport, got me an ipad 64gb wi fi for €275, and a tom tom satnav for €60, nothing wrong with either both working perfect im using the ipad right now :)and if you look them up there actually called T4B imports based in carlow they been there years apparently. Was very wary to begin with just went up for a nose really but i'll deffo go back again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jennymac1

I bought a bunch of stuff at one auction - wouldn't do so again. The guy said the saucepans had a retail value of €1300 and sold them for €139.. Turns out they had the same brand as what I found if you google for 'german knife scam' http://www.urbanhippy.ca/fake/german/knives "Meyer und Schultz" .. I emailed this company and got no reply. Similary they said the camcorded they sold retailed for €600.. it turned out to be 3 years old and sold in England for £130 when it was new..

The auctioneers even uses a fake name during the event.

MY ADVICE - BUY NOTHING FROM THESE GUYS EVER

If you do hear of one of their auctions print out the material at those links and ask them about it during the event in front of the audience - that should shake them up !!

So SID if your'e reading this beware at future events:) I will be in the audience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

sinjim wrote: »
    I was at one of these yesterday in the radisson airport, got me an ipad 64gb wi fi for €275, and a tom tom satnav for €60, nothing wrong with either both working perfect im using the ipad right now :)and if you look them up there actually called T4B imports based in carlow they been there years apparently. Was very wary to begin with just went up for a nose really but i'll deffo go back again

Really:confused::confused: are you sure the ipad wasnt a clone? it really seems to good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sinjim

emo72 wrote: »
    Really:confused::confused: are you sure the ipad wasnt a clone? it really seems to good to be true.

Hi not a clone although i did think of that, 3 days after id bought it :)
    Checked serial numbers and such and its the genuine apple product, im still on it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 The Flash

Ya I got that leaflet today and checked out the vat number and the permit number, check the cro and solo check their is no such company by the looks of things. its says on an earlier thread that they are an import company yet on the leaflet it says that its ex catalogue stock from argos ,currys brown thomas and dixons. its a scam all the way in my opinion.

Advertisement