Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is a Scratch Cup?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Can someone please explain to me exactly what a scratch cup is? I have seen some scheduled and having never played in one, I would be interested to know how they differ from a typical open competition?

Thanks!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

From the Scratch Cup Sticky thread...
    Licksy wrote: »
    I think we'll keep this thread going rather than starting a new one for 2010 because it's nice to have the history....?
    When guys are posting up details of Scratch Cups - maybe at their home clubs or maybe they've rang up somewhere or seen a flyer - can ye please post up the handicap cut-off's too (where known). They are not always standard and it's important to guys around the margins to know if they are eligible to enter or not.

As a very quick pointer to guys who have not played in any/many scratch cups yet I'll write a brief description (which will probably be wrong because I haven't played in many either!).
    There are 4 different kinds, based on handicaps.
    Senior Scratch is usually from +handicaps up to 4
    Junior Scratch is usually 5 to 9 handicaps
    Intermediate is usually 10 to 18
    Minor is usually 19+ (up to 28?)
    Sometimes you can play in these competitions if you are outside the limit but the most you will be allowed is the upper limit... this I'm not exactly sure on. Sometimes a club will run a few of these on the same day... other times you may only have one of these on at a time.

The winner is the person who shoots the best gross score.
    There are also nett prizes (the same as most regular club competitions).
    Often they will be held over 36 holes (on the same day). If they are over 36 holes, for handicap purposes each 18 hole round is treated separately so even if you play badly in one round you can still get cut in the next.
    They are great value, often times much less than a single green fee for maybe 36 holes with the chance of a good prize (& cup) and the course should be set up beautifully off the back tees.
    You might meet some boardsies there!

Basically they are GROSS competitions where the lowest score on the day wins.
    Sometimes there are nett prizes but I don't think there ought to be really.
    Handicaps are used to decide your eligibility and then you play the strokeplay competition trying to shoot the lowest gross score.
    Handicaps get adjusted the same as any usual strokeplay competition.
    They are OPEN.... there's a cup or trophy for the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Thanks very much. I had a look at the sticky, but thought it was just a schedule and didn't see that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I often wonder about them in terms of fairness.
    I mean I'm off 18 and to go up against a load of lads off 10 seems to me to be a bit strange. There is a huge difference between someone off 10 and someone off 18 IMHO from what I have seen so far from playing with people of different handicaps.
    Your avg 18 handicapper is susceptible to blow-up holes which will obviously nobble you in stroke play. I wonder do many 18s enter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

I asked the exact same question only a few days ago, great minds :D

As regards the fairness of it all, i'm an 18 aswell and i'm looking forward to playing my first one next month. I know i've no chance of getting anywehere close to the top, but i'm looking forward to the added pressure that stroke play brings. Its all well and good to play Stableford, but it'll be great to have that "fear" of not being able to mess up a hole. I'll probably poop my pants on the first with nerves, but thats the fun of the competition.

I've aspirations of having a good run this year, and i've broken 90 after around 15 total rounds played since i started, so for me this will be a good indication of where i stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Fair point - I suppose it would get the competitive juices flowing alright

And to break 90 after 15 rounds is great going.
    Took me a whole lot longer than that

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

They are as fair as they come because the best score on the day wins :)

It can be tough when you're at the upper end of the range but such is life.
    A 4 handicapper feels the same going up against a +2 golfer in a Senior Scratch... but it's all an important part of learning how to compete in my opinion and that kind of competition is good for your game. Remember, whatever about your gross score, you can still play and get cut once you beat your handicap so even though you won't feature in the competition you still have that to play for.

BTW, there are (some) Minor Scratch competitions too where the 19 handicapper is the big fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭1916

Does the Minor not start at 18+ or does it depend on what the Club decides?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

alxmorgan wrote: »
    I often wonder about them in terms of fairness.
    I mean I'm off 18 and to go up against a load of lads off 10 seems to me to be a bit strange. There is a huge difference between someone off 10 and someone off 18 IMHO from what I have seen so far from playing with people of different handicaps.
    Your avg 18 handicapper is susceptible to blow-up holes which will obviously nobble you in stroke play. I wonder do many 18s enter ?

There are usually net prices to play for in Junior and Intermediate scratch cups. The main gross prizes are generally won by those closest in handicap to the lower limit ie 5 or 6 handicaps usually win Junior scratches and 9 or 10 handicaps win Intermediates - not always though, you could have a complete bandit playing off 18 winning the main gross prize in an Intermediate scratch :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

i'm a (very) high handicapper and played in my first minor scratch cup last year and i finished inside the top 30 out of well over 100 entries.

Good to try something different than stableford as well - i prefer to try get around in as few strokes rather than scratching a hole after few bad shots and going on to the next hole to start again.

Advertisement