Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to practice a few long shots

Options
  • 16-03-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

After getting my tikka a few weeks ago I am keen to shoot a few targets out to maybe 300 or even 400 yards just to see how I get on and build up my confidence. I have a good amount of land I can shoot on but the only field with 300 yards is on a hill and after goin down for a gawk today I'm just not convinced it would be safe enough concidering I would have to allow a hold over for bullet drop and seeing as I have no experience it would be too easy for me to over compensate and send a .223 over the hill.
    So I was thinking about going down to the bog outside killenaule. I know the area and there is miles of bog with no people or houses etc. Anyone know if its ok to set up a few targets in the bog?
    Or do any of ye know of a place where a lad could shoot some long range shots some weekend? Slievenamon maybe?
    I live in south tipp BTW.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

............. Anyone know if its ok to set up a few targets in the bog?

I may aswell be the "killjoy" with the legal bit.

You cannot engage in target shooting outside of an authorised range except for the purposes of zeroing your rifle which can be done on private land that you have permission to shoot on and which is safe to do so on.

The definition of target shooting would be multiple shoots or prolonged shooting with one or more people. (Thats probably not the webster's dictionary explanation, but you get the idea).
    Or do any of ye know of a place where a lad could shoot some long range shots some weekend? Slievenamon maybe?

Legally and i think the best place is an authorised range. Its a controlled environment, with ready made targets and set ranges, etc. Plus the added bonus of other lads there to help you out with your drops and any other advice you need.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Do you have to be a member before you can shoot at them? How many ranges are there in the country that shot 300+ yard targets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Open Shoot in MNSCI 2 weeks time.

Ideal time to get a look at the place

homerhop wrote: »
    Do you have to be a member before you can shoot at them? How many ranges are there in the country that shot 300+ yard targets?

Only 1 shoots +300

MNSCI

http://www.nationalshootingcentre.ie/

Yes.

You can occassionally be signed in as a guest of a member, but must have the approval of the range, and remain under the supervision of the member that signs you in.

As Tackleberrywho said the only range that has 300 yards plus is the Midlands, however An Roicht in Kerry (I think) have a 300 yd/mtr range also. There are currently no other ranges that offer anything over 200yds, and this is even further restricted by the caliber of rifle they are authorised to shoot. By that i mean some ranges are rimfire only.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

€600 a year membership Tac :eek: they not realise there is a recession on and half the country is struggling to get by?

Its not €600 per year, its €600 for the first year.

Its €285 per year after that.

€600 a year membership Tac :eek: they not realise there is a recession on and half the country is struggling to get by?

€600 year 1

€285 a year there after , and this year you get 15 months for €600

and 1200 YARD shooting!

apologies misread the fees.

apologies misread the fees.

Come along in 2 weeks for the open shoot and see for yourself

€10 to enter once you bring your Licence and Insurance details (NARGC,CAI,IFA Countryside)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

Before you go and pay a shed load of money to join a range, remember it is NOT illegal to zero in your rifle on private land. There is nothing saying that you cant have a 300 yard zero, plus you do need a target to zero.

Most people cant afford €600 year one and €280 every year there after just to zero in, and keep on checking the zero of our rifles. If you are a target shooter its a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Ezridax wrote: »
    Yes.

You can occassionally be signed in as a guest of a member, but must have the approval of the range, and remain under the supervision of the member that signs you in.

Are the occasions you mentioned above defined, by that I mean can members bring guests on certain days of the week, or anytime there is no competition on or whatever?

The reason I ask is that I wouldn't mind visiting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

After getting my tikka a few weeks ago I am keen to shoot a few targets out to maybe 300 or even 400 yards just to see how I get on and build up my confidence. I have a good amount of land I can shoot on but the only field with 300 yards is on a hill and after goin down for a gawk today I'm just not convinced it would be safe enough concidering I would have to allow a hold over for bullet drop and seeing as I have no experience it would be too easy for me to over compensate and send a .223 over the hill.
    So I was thinking about going down to the bog outside killenaule. I know the area and there is miles of bog with no people or houses etc. Anyone know if its ok to set up a few targets in the bog?
    Thanks.

Give me a shout if you are down my way some time and I will show you where to go.
    Slievnamon would not be ideal. To many walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Thanks.

PM sent!

Rosahane wrote: »
    Are the occasions you mentioned above defined, by that I mean can members bring guests on certain days of the week, or anytime there is no competition on or whatever?

The reason I ask is that I wouldn't mind visiting :D

Sunday 27th open to NON members shoot.

100 yards moving targets, shapes of Foxes Deer and Bunnies

MUST HAVE OWN INSURANCE AND LICENCE WHEN REGISTERING IN CLUBHOUSE

Insurance is Countryside Alliance, NARGC, IFA Countryside.
    And don't forget that you need to prove this with membership card

30+ people entered in the last shoot, and you can shoot any rifle Calibre you own as many times as you want to enter.

Anything from .300WinMag to .17 & .22

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

Is anything above a .30cal allowed on the range? I know it may not be for open shoot but in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

sikastag wrote: »
    Is anything above a .30cal allowed on the range? I know it may not be for open shoot but in general?

Yep. I don't recall the limit (possibly .458) but I know of rifles over .30 being shot there. .375s specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

mrbrianj wrote: »
    Before you go and pay a shed load of money to join a range, remember it is NOT illegal to zero in your rifle on private land.
    Strictly speaking, that's not quite correct. We have a statement by Minister McDowell saying that he didn't mean for the law to apply to hunters zeroing their rifles, yes, but we don't have anything in the law saying that, nor do we have any agreed-upon definition of where zeroing stops and target shooting starts. It's a stupid situation and it needs to be fixed, and you would imagine that noone would go after someone for zeroing, but that bit of law hasn't been fixed yet.

(BTW, us target shooters don't have a small mint that hunters don't have :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

has anybody ever been arrested or fined for target shooting on their own land

Nope. Nobody's been arrested or fined for blasphemy yet either, but it's still a (monumentally stupid) law.

The reason I'm posting about it at all is just that strictly speaking, Rule 8 applies here. Even if we all know it's a dumb-ass law.

• Advertisement

sikastag wrote: »

Yes. The MNSCI has the highest caliber authorisation in the country. Basically if you can license it you can fire it there. There is obviously a limit, but i'm not 100% sure on the caliber. I know 50cals are not allowed so all you Barrett owners will have to go elsewhere.:D
    Rosahane wrote: »

Visitors are welcome any weekend. By visitors i mean those wanting to look around. As day membership is not allowed anymore you can understand why a visitor cannot arrive and shoot.

Weekends only for guests (AFAIK). A member must sign you in and supervise/stay with you for the entire duration of your stay.

This is only my say so, as always it is best to ring the range before traveling to get the proper/official stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Come along in 2 weeks for the open shoot and see for yourself

€10 to enter once you bring your Licence and Insurance details (NARGC,CAI,IFA Countryside)

Any more details on this - dates etc? Would be interested bringing my .223 to shoot proper targets ;)

Any more details on this - dates etc? Would be interested bringing my .223 to shoot proper targets ;)

Sunday 27th

For more info
    http://www.nationalshootingcentre.ie/contact.html

John Paul Craven - Chairman
    Tel: 086 8232641
    Email: jpcraven@eircom.net

Jim Griffin - Secretary
    Tel/Fax: 057 9355979
    Mobile: 087 2613041
    Email: grif@eircom.net

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056195702&page=4
    The above link shows the last comp on the 9th March

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Thanks - that's tempting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

me and my brother where only talking about this the other night the both of us are license holders and were quite frankly annoyed:mad: at the situation that you either have to know someone or pay through the nose to use a gun range like if i was in the states i could go and shoot in a range when ever i wanted

me and my brother where only talking about this the other night the both of us are license holders and were quite frankly annoyed:mad: at the situation that you either have to know someone or pay through the nose to use a gun range like if i was in the states i could go and shoot in a range when ever i wanted

Go to your Local Blue Shirts and Leftwing Pinko's and ask them to do all the changes they promised!!:D

We could once rent out rifles to non members for £5punt.
    It was DOJ who changed things.

No range wants it to have fec all members, as members make the range.

Bring back the PD's I say.

:D:D

Bring back the PD's I say.
    Bring back... Michael McDowell? The guy who brought in the biggest kick in the head our sports ever received?

Sparks wrote: »
    Bring back... Michael McDowell? The guy who brought in the biggest kick in the head our sports ever received?

Who was minister for Justice when Pistols and Centrefire calibres were Liberalized ???

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

ah my apologies i taught it was just a case of them choosing who they did and didnt want which is how it looks from the outside

surely they could do something like 10euro for non member with their own gun and license no?

and if im not mistaken arent most ranges not giving out memberships

• Advertisement

ah my apologies i taught it was just a case of them choosing who they did and didnt want which is how it looks from the outside

surely they could do something like 10euro for non member with their own gun and license no?

I don't want to go into the ins and outs of it as I am not fully familiar with all the specifics
    Suffice it to say, It takes incredible work and dedication to keep a range open, and it could be closed in a heartbeat if all rules were not obeyed.
    Therefore we abide by the rules.

Advertisement