Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddies Day Parade

• 16-03-2011 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So does anyone know when the parade starts and where is the best spot to watch it?
    Like what's it's route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Hey,

So does anyone know when the parade starts and where is the best spot to watch it?
    Like what's it's route?

It starts at about 10am at about 42nd Street and goes up 5th avenue to 96th Street. C'mon over and see what a real St PATRICKS day parade looks like. Even with the politically correct lack of drinking in the streets (like when I was a kid), ITS A BLAST you gotta see at least once! Just messin....the Waterford parade runs the length of the Quay!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fudark

Hey,

Like what's it's route?

it starts at 1pm, runs along The Quay
    I guess a good spot is somewhere near Tower Hotel where parade turns into The Mall, can't be sure though, I was _in the parade_ for last 4 years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Dont want to be a pain in the h*le but I hate when the day is referred to as Paddy's Day.....it demeans the day in my opinion....it's always reminds me of a derogatory term our friends across the water referred to us

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Could be worse.

Americans think its St. Patty's Day.

• Advertisement

Could be worse.

Americans think its St. Patty's Day.

Hahahaha.......true:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Dont want to be a pain in the h*le but I hate when the day is referred to as Paddy's Day.....it demeans the day in my opinion....it's always reminds me of a derogatory term our friends across the water referred to us

Just my opinion.

I agree Jim, 'Paddy' has been in the past used as a slang and derogatory word for Irish people in the UK. 'paddy wagon' etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Doesn't paddy wagon come from the padding used on the inside of police horse drawn carriages?

Yeah the term "Paddy wagon" is used worldwide, has nothing to do with the slang term

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Doesn't paddy wagon come from the padding used on the inside of police horse drawn carriages?

One of three possible origins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_van

• Advertisement

Just found this.

http://paddynotpatty.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

jimbojazz wrote: »

Just my opinion.

Ah it's a colloquial term. Not many people really care about the religious side of it anymore. Don't see it as an issue myself.

Advertisement