Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken McGrath retires from inter county hurling

• 16-03-2011 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Ken McGrath announced his retirement from inter county hurling at training tonight.

Was he the best hurler we ever had or was/is there others for this coveted title. Lets hear it who would you vote for

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

Oh thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Was he the best hurler we ever had

Hardly a glowing triubute is it, we aint exactly laden down with All Irelands are we.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

an absolute legend of hurling & not just Waterford hurling & somebody whose immense talents are appreciated by all true hurling fans.

& Savi you really are showing your ignorance if you think that medals is the only way to judge the greatness of a hurler. You never have a positive comment to make on anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HighKingOfIre

Not only a great hurler but a great waterfordian, started his own business at a tough time for business in the city.

Best of luck in the future Ken and thanks for the memories.

• Advertisement

comeraghs wrote: »
    an absolute legend of hurling & not just Waterford hurling & somebody whose immense talents are appreciated by all true hurling fans.

& Savi you really are showing your ignorance if you think that medals is the only way to judge the greatness of a hurler. You never have a positive comment to make on anything.

No point making positive remarks for the sake of it, you have to be a realist.

calling Ken the best Waterford hurler ever to me, personally is not being fair to him. We arent one of the more successful counties are we, so I would take it that its not that hard to be known as the best in the county, there is probably only 3 or 4 players who would rival him in history for that acolade, if even that. To me he is one of the best hurlers I ever seen in mty generation, and that includes some of the best hurlers from KK, Tipp< clare etc.

In my opinion he was one of the sports best hurlers for a time and but for injury at crucial stages who knows what he could of won.

As mentioned already he has progressed himself opening his own business and not taking the easy ride like a lot of GAA players get from their perks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Ken has been a tremendous player for Waterford, simple as that, some absolutely massive performances. I can still see him practically horizontal in mid air with a bundle of Cork(?) players around him to catch a ball. Pity about the injuries last couple of seasons but thats the way sport is. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shebzy

A great player and great servant for Waterford hurling, just because ye haven't won medals does not mean you cant be a great hurler !

The problem is ... He is still more than good enough to play.

Wonder if something behind the scenes has happened, was a sudden decison given he went training this week.

Suppose we need to build a new team now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Sure poor dawwn wants whats left over for herself at this stage......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Is he the fella from hillview? I don't follow hurling at all so don't really no much about him tbh. All the best to him in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

seanybiker wrote: »
    Is he the fella from hillview? I don't follow hurling at all so don't really no much about him tbh. All the best to him in the future

Bein from Waterford and not known who ken McGrath is, is like not known what a blaa is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Haha are you for real?? Holy Jasus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I know of him I just don't like hurling so never felt the need to get to know him lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

And what's this hurling people keep talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Diluted

I know of him I just don't like hurling so never felt the need to get to know him lol

Ahhhh Seanie ffs will ya stop.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I just saw Ken McGrath at the lower hospital entrance with his arm in a cast and hope he has a speedy recovery.

Advertisement