Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Development - only C#?

Options
  • 16-03-2011 3:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Yo,
    my question regards programming languages used in GD course. Is C# the only one that will be taught or will there be e.g. C++ or Java as well? C++ still seems to be the most popular programming language in gamedev...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think it may only be c#. You can use c# for developing games for windows phone 7 which is quite nice but yeah most game development would probably be in c++. Saying that, once you have a good grounding in one language you can easily pick up another one. You could even do your third or forth year project in c++ which would probably get you extra marks for using a language that is unfamiliar to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sztywny

On the other hand, it's way easier to learn C# once I'm familiar with C++, but not necessarily in the other way...
    Second thing. Is 2+2 hours of maths at the first stage really enough? It seems fairly little to me...
    I just need to know if this course is as good as they say it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

going from c++ to C# or Java is VERY easy, going from C# or Java to C++ is not! have done all 3, C++ is by far the hardest!

going from c++ to C# or Java is VERY easy, going from C# or Java to C++ is not! have done all 3, C++ is by far the hardest!

I'm working on C++ now, just waiting for some books to be delivered :P i dont like studying from online courses, classic book is always better. If i get through C++, I'll be just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 41 methodinsane

Hi,

It is C# and XNA.. for the moment. But it is the theory surrounding games that you can transfer to other platforms. Learning a language and an API, for example OpenGL or DirectX, is only a small part of learning to program games. Graphics aside there are a large number of areas to game from design to networking to AI to sound.

Of course learning C# has it's benefits seeing as it opens you to the whole .NET Framework which last time I checked (yesterday) has infiltrated many companies based on what jobs are available. It's also a nice enough language.

For desktop you've many choices of language for games as most apis have bindings for graphics apis - e.g. you can use Lua to program games as it is very easy to wrap calls to C/C++ libraries from Lua. On the subject of Lua you can also use to develop games for mobile - see the Corona SDK which you can use to develop iOS games and Android games.

C++ is a good thing to learn if a little annoying when you try other languages. But it has it's benefits and certainly is important in games. But again I stress that learning the Math and other elements of game development is far more beneficial. So just because it's a C# based course we can't just knock it for that.

My 2c :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for a very valuable post :) It never hurts to know two software languages :P
    This thread should be renamed to Games Development General Topic to become some kind of support for future generations :P

Advertisement