Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ronaldinho

• 16-03-2011 4:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

what actually happened to him? i mean i heard he was good in serie a and all but like one minute he was the worlds greatest and then he just went downhill. i cant remember his season after wc2006 but it seemed to go backwards for him after brazil flopped after being clear favourites. i mean the guy is only 30, he should be just coming towards the end of his peak, not like a 36 year old like he seems to be now. same thing seems to be happening to kaka as well. i mean mayb he was better than i give him credit for in italy but he defo lost his star status, mayb the world just moved on and found a new 'best since pele'(messi)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

partyndbs wrote: »
    what actually happened to him? i mean i heard he was good in serie a and all but like one minute he was the worlds greatest and then he just went downhill. i cant remember his season after wc2006 but it seemed to go backwards for him after brazil flopped after being clear favourites. i mean the guy is only 30, he should be just coming towards the end of his peak, not like a 36 year old like he seems to be now. same thing seems to be happening to kaka as well. i mean mayb he was better than i give him credit for in italy but he defo lost his star status, mayb the world just moved on and found a new 'best since pele'(messi)

Well thats basically what happened to him.

Seems to happen with alot of Brazilian players.

Kaka,Ronaldo,Adriano & Robinho (to a lesser extant).

Can't do any wrong one minute & then next thing ya know there on the first boat back to Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

omg ya adriano like i remember that guy was like the definition of the word lethal. then boom he just evaporated lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He was largely responsible for his own downfall. His attitude, mentality and lifestyle escalated downhill circa 2006. He put on weight, was enjoying the Barcelona night life too much and became very lazy in training and did not give 100% for Barca in matches. Similar story at Milan. He was average at the best of times there apart from last season, when he did OK.

There is no comparison here to Kaka's recent downfall, where injuries have crippled him over the last 18 months. He is back now though and his the right attitude to rediscover his form. Age is slightly against him (29 next month) but he will be back IMO.

its weird to think kaka is 29 nearly....i can remember he signed for milan :O

He was largely responsible for his own downfall. His attitude, mentality and lifestyle escalated downhill circa 2006. He put on weight, was enjoying the Barcelona night life too much and became very lazy in training and did not give 100% for Barca in matches. Similar story at Milan. He was average at the best of times there apart from last season, when he did OK.

There is no comparison here to Kaka's recent downfall, where injuries have crippled him over the last 18 months. He is back now though and his the right attitude to rediscover his form. Age is slightly against him (29 next month) but he will be back IMO.

Well it's probably a fair bit away from Ronaldinho's downfall but even when he's been fully fit he still hasnt looked anything like 05-07 Kaka. Even in his last season with Milan he looked like half the player he was just a year or two earlier. And I don't think Mourinho is too fussed about keeping him as long as Di Maria & Ozil are performing.

Wouldnt be surprised at all to see him back in Brazil within a season or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Think he was just getting a bit long in the tooth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The most entertaining player I've seen in my lifetime when he was in full flow. Shame about the party lifestyle these Brazilians seemed to develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

He's won everything that needs winning so he might as well live it up while he is still young and loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

omg ya adriano like i remember that guy was like the definition of the word lethal. then boom he just evaporated lol

Well he certainly didn't evaporate...

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

Well at least his touch is as good as ever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ochSStj6jS0&feature=player_embedded, brilliant to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Probably as naturally gifted a player as there's ever been. Just a shame we didn't get to see a bit more of him at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

It seems to happen to a lot of Brazilians, they just don't hit there peak at the same time as a lot of European players.

I read somewhere before, i think it was about Ronaldo an he had said that moving away from Brazil to a totally different country so far away from home is why he believes it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

He done this last week in a warm-up.
    r10mbdl.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

tdv123 wrote: »
    Well thats basically what happened to him.

Seems to happen with alot of Brazilian players.

Kaka,Ronaldo,Adriano & Robinho (to a lesser extant).

Can't do any wrong one minute & then next thing ya know there on the first boat back to Brazil.

Let's not say things we can't take back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ronaldo

The next thing ya know?

Since when did 2 world cups, 3 world player of the year awards, becoming the all time leading world cup goalscorer, and 352 goals become the next thing ya know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    The next thing ya know?

Since when did 2 world cups, 3 world player of the year awards, becoming the all time leading world cup goalscorer, and 352 goals become the next thing ya know?

To be fair, we should applythe same to Ronaldinho,

1 world cup, 2 world players of the year, and 1 CL, and 175 goals.

Shame that Ronaldinho's downfall was due to a lack of motivation. If he had the mental fortitude of Ronaldo we could be laughing at the prospect of even uttering Pele's name in the same sentence as 'Dinho. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

The next thing ya know?

One World Cup, come on now. He was little more than a mascot in 94.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd look on Ronaldinho's first season at Barcelona as his best unfortunately. As Barcelona needed to make a statement in the first year of Laporta and fired through the league from rock-bottom, he was on fire.

Some of the stuff in the second half of that season, my favourite being a goal at Osasuna was top class.

Grainy footage...

The last season under Rijkaard was sad between Ronaldinho/Deco/Eto'o and getting Messi dragged into it.

Prime for prime, better than Zidane imvhaho.

messi 2010/2011 vs ronaldinho 2004/2005?

• Advertisement

The next thing ya know?

Around 2005/2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Around 2005/2006.

Wow, so I must have imagine the 1 goal every 2 games for the rest of the career, not to mention helping Corinthians to 2 trophies in his debut season - a team that had gone 6 years without top-flight silverware.

messi 2010/2011 vs ronaldinho 2004/2005?

Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

In his peak season or 2, Ronaldinho was the best player I've ever seen. Better than Zidane, Ronaldo, Messi etc. Just a shame he couldn't keep that form up longer and won't be remembered the same way those 3 will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

when he got sexy with the Ho's his career went down hill faster than hayabusa on steriods

Wow, so I must have imagine the 1 goal every 2 games for the rest of the career, not to mention helping Corinthians to 2 trophies in his debut season - a team that had gone 6 years without top-flight silverware.

Well he was playing at much lower level in Corinthians.

I'm not saying he turned into a bad player. His finishing was still top class But he still was nothing like the player he used to be. Do you think he was as good in his Inter,Barca & early Madrid days as he was in Corinthians & Milan?

Granted he had alot of nasty injury problems but a lot of his downfall was self inflected kind of the same way Ronaldinho shot himself in the foot with his crazy partying lifestyle.

They both still had that touch of class & were still players who could change a match with a flash of brilliance but they were out of shape, unmotivated & had just lost that spark that set them apart from other players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Well he was playing at much lower level in Corinthians.

I'm not saying he turned into a bad player. His finishing was still top class But he still was nothing like the player he used to be. Do you think he was as good in his Inter,Barca & early Madrid days as he was in Corinthians & Milan?

Granted he had alot of nasty injury problems but a lot of his downfall was self inflected kind of the same way Ronaldinho shot himself in the foot with his crazy partying lifestyle.

They both still had that touch of class & were still players who could change a match with a flash of brilliance but they were out of shape, unmotivated & had just lost that spark that set them apart from other players.

Well obviously he wasn't as good when he went to Milan and Corinthians.

Generally after 30, the more a player ages, the more his performances decline.;)

Saying that, his goal scoring record stayed solid.

Well obviously he wasn't as good when he went to Milan and Corinthians.

Generally after 30, the more a player ages, the more his performances decline.;)

Saying that, his goal scoring record stayed solid.

Well maybe thats true but that dosent mean you have to throw in the towel & look for an easier challenge.

Look at the likes of Maldini,Scholes,Giggs,Cafu,Zidane etc... Players who stayed motivated & focused threw out there whole careers, looked after there bodies well & still had a big influence on big games & tournaments well into there early - late 30's .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

he was pretty good for Flamengo tonight

• Advertisement
Advertisement