Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY pergola and garden bench - what wood to use?

• 16-03-2011 8:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to build a small corner pergola/arch for the garden and also a long simple box seat that would double as storage. I appreciate that certain types of hardwood would be best but the thing is I am on a tight tight budget. If it is too expensive I simply can't do it. So I'm looking for advise on the cheapest materials possible to use.
    Can I buy untreated non-pressure treated softwood and apply staining/protection myself? I have no problem applying annual treatment if necessary.
    Thanks a lot, haven't a clue about wood!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Softwoods are cheaper, and in general terms pressure treated wood is about 20% more expensive than regular wood.

If you buy rough timber instead of planed, its cheaper again. Pop into your nearest brooks and ask the lads there, they'll steer you right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks fingers, I'll do just that. So do you think it would be possible to treat rough sawn timber for outdoor use and get a reasonable life span out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

redser7 wrote: »
    Thanks fingers, I'll do just that. So do you think it would be possible to treat rough sawn timber for outdoor use and get a reasonable life span out of it?

As long as you keep the timber out of and off the ground it can be diy treated and will last quite a while but will need regular re-application.

In the long run though IMO you will be better off using factory preserved timber.

This is vacuum treated and gets the preservative well into the timber much further than brush application. However any cuts must be thoroughly soaked in preservative as even pressure/vacuum treatment will not get right into the centre of the timber.

The timber is less likely to to warp twist and split.

Even with pre treated wood keep it out of the ground by using post holders.

Thanks a million Antiquo, very helpful. So would a good brand fence/shed stain do the trick? Last question, honest :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Ask as many as you like, thats what the forum is here for.

Personally, I'd be happy enough with the brooks own brand, if they do one. That said, I get a lot of stuff out of there and I have little trouble with any of their own brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Fresh timber is best protected with a solvent based preservative first as the fence and shed stains are only pish and no good for getting into the wood.

Ronseal, Rustins, Cuprinol, Sadolin, etc just ask for a good exterior solvent based preservative. Creosote is no longer available.

You can slap on some of the fence water when you have it properly soaked in the preservative. However you may have to wait a few days for the preserver to soak in before the water based will stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

Do not use non pressure treated timber in de garden. Not worth it after going to effort of building it. Save up for it or even better get some cedar of larch. Deal will warp bend all over the shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Have you thought about building it in PVC. You can get it in a nice green which looks very well. It is also maintenance free.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback. I'll just wait until I can order pressure-treated.

Advertisement