Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread recipe

Options
  • 16-03-2011 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

I need a bread recipe.

I need a recipe for a slow prove bread that will give a rich, flavourful crumb, with a good crust that fits with a weekday schedule.

Like last night I had a bowl of dough starter in the fridge. I added it to flour, yeast and water, but the proving and baking takes 4 hours. I can't manage that on a school night. So it went in the fridge. This morning, its risen quite well, but I won't get to baking it until tonight. So it's a bit of an experiment with the slow prove in the fridge.

Does anyone have a fridge proved 24 hour dough recipe, or a pointer to one in a book?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I make this bread: http://irishwishesarespecial.blogspot.com/2011/03/bacon-plus-bread.html It takes about an hour and a half overall.

It makes a soft white bread. I love it. Or you could go healthier and make Irish Soda bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I use this

3 cups flour
    1.5 cups hot water
    0.5 tsp salt
    yeast

Mix it all up and leave it somewhere warm for about 18 hours. Turn it out onto a floured board and turn it over on itself once or twice, dust with flour and wrap in a teatowel for about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile heat a cast iron casserole dish in the oven to about 250C. Put the dough into the heated dish, lid on, for about 40 minutes, then take the lid off and give it another 10/15 minutes.

I usually make the dough after dinner, and cook it about dinnertime the next day, tis lovely, and the only bread recipe I can reliably not mess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

try this one too:
    450 gr flour, 270-300 ml water, 15g fresh yeast or equivalent.
    mix it and give it a quick knead. Water should be warmish, not cold.
    Cover and leave overnight or at least 6 hours.

In the morning, or after 6 hours, add 450 gr flour, 300 water and salt. I like 20 gr salt, you can go with 15 depending on your taste.
    Knead really well and leave to prove for about 90 mins. If you've baked bread before you'll know when its ready. It might take 2 hours even.
    knock it back and shape and let it rise again, about another hour. Sieve flour over and slash it 2-3 times as you get towards the end of the proof.
    I usually cook this at 220 for 10 mins reducing to 200 for 30 mins for a good hard crust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I am making bread and was searching the forum.
    kylith wrote: »
    I use this

3 cups flour
    1.5 cups hot water
    0.5 tsp salt
    yeast

Mix it all up and leave it somewhere warm for about 18 hours. Turn it out onto a floured board and turn it over on itself once or twice, dust with flour and wrap in a teatowel for about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile heat a cast iron casserole dish in the oven to about 250C. Put the dough into the heated dish, lid on, for about 40 minutes, then take the lid off and give it another 10/15 minutes.

I usually make the dough after dinner, and cook it about dinnertime the next day, tis lovely, and the only bread recipe I can reliably not mess up.

Does this mean that the bread cooks in the heated dish, inside the oven, or outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I think kylith means the bread is baked inside the oven, similar to this no-knead bread recipe (video included).

And for Minder, pain a l'ancienne is really easy to make. I usually "shape" it in a baking tin (circular or square), and leave overnight in the fridge. The next day, once it comes to room temperature, just bake it off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement