Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football 365's Top 10 Prem Midfielders -this season

• 16-03-2011 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭

Tbh, I think it's a joke and don't agree with half of them. Especially Nani and Barton...and the amazing absence of Rafa VdV, who for me is probably the buy of the season so far

What you's reckon ?
    Having dealt with the meat and potatoes rhythm sections of the football pitch, it's time to take a look at the more fancy dan creative, tippy-tappy skilful types. And Nigel de Jong, of course...

NB - as with the previous lists, this one is based on a combination of form this season and throughout their Premier League career. Please at least take this in consideration before saying you want to poo in our hair*, call us idiots or ask the government to take our computers away...

10 - Ryan Giggs/Paul Scholes
    This is probably our version of the Sports Personality bauble (and presumably Ryan is just as honoured), in that Giggs and Scholes have had far from their best seasons, but writing a list of the ten best midfielders in the country without these two would be just perverse. While they are still there, United can pretend that everything will be okay and they will go on forever, but they will need replacing sooner or later. In fact, forget the 'later'.

9 - David Silva
    It's slightly more tricky to make a statistical case for this little fella (he sits below such attacking and creative geniuses as Frederic Piquionne and Morten Gamst Pedersen in the goals and assists chart) than some of the others on this list, but watching football (for a neutral, at least) is about aesthetics, rather than numbers. And there are few more graceful and naturally gifted players in the Premier League than Silva, whose lightness of touch and ability to completely baffle a full-back is a joy every time you see him. Remember Bryon Butler's famous line about Diego Maradona being 'like a little eel'? You can apply that to Silva. Only without the coke and air rifles.

8 - Samir Nasri
    One could argue that Nasri hasn't been much of a midfielder this season in that he's been one of Arsenal's most attacking players. However, he does perform the role of a creator, rather than a direct goal threat, so he makes this list rather than the 'forwards' selection that will come when we've dusted off all the abuse forthcoming for this one. Eventually. Nasri has taken plenty of the creative burden off Cesc Fabregas this season, and while it might be a while yet before the Frenchman can fill his captain's shoes, his shimmies and shoulder drops have provided many of Arsenal's finest moments.

7 - Luka Modric
    The story goes that Arsenal were sniffing around Modric like a horny dog while he was at Dinamo Zagreb but didn't sign him because they believed he couldn't cope with the physicality of the Premier League. When even Arsenal reject you for being too much of a wuss, one would imagine you wouldn't stand a chance in Blighty - but Modric has proved that to be cock of the poppiest variety. The brilliant thing about this quite frankly funny-looking little chap is that he has excelled wherever he has played in the Spurs midfield. Drifting from the left, in 'the hole' or in a two-man centre midfield, Modric always seems to find a way to dictate the play.

6 - Nigel de Jong
    Forget the phoney hysteria about his tackle on Hatem Ben Arfa (he got the ball, Ben Arfa was incredibly unlucky), this guy is a colossus. As we all know, there is more to good midfield play than simple passing and tricks - there is the other stuff that tends to only get much attention when things go wrong. De Jong is not exactly a Makelele type (his distribution is better than a simple spoiler), but he does provide both a platform for City to attack and a screen for their defence. We love him at F365, and little short of stubbing a cigar out in someone's eye will change that. Speaking of which...

5 - Joey Barton
    "Joey is not a normal footballer, he is quite eccentric," Pardew said about his midfielder on Monday. "His eccentricity extends to his game too and he does things on a football pitch that are eccentric at times. That's what makes him the player that he is." Chunky makes a fair point - if we are to ignore the immediate thought that 'eccentric' is a funny synonym for 'convicted criminal'. Barton tries things, things that many would not bother with, and that is perhaps why, finally, after most have given up on him as a human being, he is fulfilling his promise and beginning to present a convincing case that he might be worth the trouble after all.

4 - Gareth Bale
    You have to wonder about Harry Redknapp sometimes. 'Gareth Bale will one day become the best left-back in the world,' he wrote only a few weeks ago, while in the same column for The Sun he proclaimed Bale to be the best player in the Premier League this season. Quite why anyone would witness a man destroy some of the finest teams in Europe from the left wing and decide that just isn't his position is unclear, but destroy them Bale has. Redknapp does have a point about Bale's adaptability, mind. The lad looks like he could play absolutely anywhere - he has the range of passing to play in the middle, and the strength and shooting power to make a decent fist of being a striker too. Greatness awaits.

3 - Steven Gerrard
    Interesting player, Steven Gerrard. How will he be viewed in years to come? His international career will be characterised by the interminable Gerrard/Lampard debate, and as part of this mythical 'Golden Generation' he will possibly be seen as a failure. And domestically, will his decision to turn down Chelsea (twice) be seen as a mistake? Will the Champions League medal outweigh the league titles he could've won at Stamford Bridge? Possibly, but barring something extraordinary in the next few years, Gerrard will retire as possibly the most gifted Englishman of his generation to never win the Premier League.

Obviously, he remains a terrific performer, not least because through either choice or the necessity of advancing years, he seems to be adopting a mature style of play. He seems more content these days to perform a quietly efficient role, as seen in Liverpool's win over Manchester United when he sat deep and allowed the likes of Raul Meireles and Luis Suarez to create further forward - to essentially do the job of Gerrard 08/09. His claims to be one of the very best this season are undermined by his fitness record (he's missed nearly a third of their league games this campaign), but Liverpool will have a mighty hole to fill when he retires.

2 - Nani
    A young Portuguese winger, brought to Manchester United for a lot of money and initially written off as a talented but flaky show pony before proving he has a little more substance. The comparison with Cristiano Ronaldo is an obvious one, but though nobody is going to pay £80million for Nani at the moment, this season he has been arguably United's most impressive performer, adding goals and assists (nine and 15, respectively, the equal-highest in the league) to the lollipops and flouncing. Without Nani, a pedestrian United would be nowhere near the top of the Premier League this season.

1 - Cesc Fabregas
    He's 23 is Cesc Fabregas. Already he has played in three international championships (winning two of them), reached one Champions League final, won the FA Cup, captained one of the top sides in Europe and, for the last couple of years, been bombarded with suggestions that he will be leaving Arsenal for his home club. It's a lot for even the most experienced and battle-hardened player, but for a man so young it's extraordinary that Fabregas's head hasn't exploded.

Quite apart from his fabulous touch and range of passing, Fabregas has developed into a fine captain. Many (usually former Gooners, usually from George Graham's era) complain that Arsenal lack a 'leader', and when they say that they mean a good solid English sort who will shout a lot. Fabregas is hardly a chest-thumping type in the Tony Adams mould, but witness Arsenal's Cesc-less performance in the Carling Cup final for evidence that the still-young Spaniard's influence is a guiding force for Arsenal. The good news for Gooners is that, according to our man in Spain, that move to Barcelona might not be imminent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Tbh, I think it's a joke and don't agree with half of them. Especially Nani and Barton...and the amazing absence of Rafa VdV, who for me is probably the buy of the season so far

What you's reckon ?
    How do you not agree with Nani? He has more assists than any other player and has his fair share of goals too.

Scott Parker should be in there. Merelies should be in instead of Gerrard, Wilshire instead of Cesc. No idea why De Jong is in there either. I agree with barton, he has been amazing this season for Newcastle along with Nolan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

lol at no Scott Parker

EDIT: Actually lol at the whole list. Only Nasri, Modric, Bale, Nani and Barton deserve to be there. The rest were shíte/didn't play enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Nani deservedly there . Charlie Adam ? Yaya Toure ? Scott parker has done well too
    Also Raul Merieles should be there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

Gerrard, no. 3 ? Good lord. Lucas has had a far better season than Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Fabregas? Really?

Silly list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that list is more ignorant than usual.

more so for having Cesc top that anything.

no Wilshere, Meireles, Toure, VDV or Parker make it absolutely ROFL-iffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

never knew Scholes and Giggs counted as one entity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SlickRic wrote: »
    that list is more ignorant than usual.

more so for having Cesc top that anything.

no Wilshere, Meireles, Toure, VDV or Parker make it absolutely ROFL-iffic.

Does Meireles deserve to be there? Really?

I will agree he has looked very good since mid January or so, since KD took over and got a couple of games in. However, I thought he looked distinctly average for the most part up to that point in time. Granted there are mitigating circumstances, but I wouldn't have Meireles as one of the best in the league based on a month or two of quality performances. Needs to produce that for closer to a full season (which I believe he can and likely will next season)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I would have had Nasri far above Fabergas in any list about this season he's played more and been brilliant everytime for Arsenal I'd Understand if they didn't include Rafa if it's due to him not playing enough though Charlie Adam and Parker should be there for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I lol'd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its list's like these that make you scratch your head at times.

No Parker, or Van Der Vaart is a bit of a strange pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Does Meireles deserve to be there? Really?

i've got to be a bit biased ;)

and in all honesty, if this guy on F365 felt the need to put Giggs, Scholes and Gerrard in, i feel more than justified getting my team's best midfielder this season in.

Meireles has dropped off the last couple of weeks, granted, but he has been excellent since December. maybe not actually top 10 for the year, but as i say, i've got to get my bias slightly get in the way once every so often!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'd say Meireles deserves to be there tbh. Far be it from me to throw unwarranted praise in the general Liverpool direction, but while there's several factors at play for Liverpools revival of sorts, Meireles turn of form is the biggest one imo. Love watching him play.

Now that that's said....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The article in the opening post above states that the list is a combination of the player's form this season and throughout their EPL career.
    NB - as with the previous lists, this one is based on a combination of form this season and throughout their Premier League career.

Which seems a bit silly tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The thread title says "this season" but the choices reflect a longer term view.

Nasri has played more and been better than fabregas - he plays evidently better when Fab isn't on the pitch imo

Just from the Newcastle team I'd probably have Nolan before Barton

I've not seen much of De Jong, surprised to see he is so highly regarded

VDV is the most notable omission, he's been awesome!

. . .what about the rejuvinated Duffer? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I reckon they will include VDV in the forwards section for some reason known only to themselves

A very dubious list created to generate controversy I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

gerrard at 3 is a bit silly. he has had a good season, but not that good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Two issues. 1) It states it's a combination of this season and their careers in the Premiership and include David Silva, Gareth Bale etc.. and leave out Lampard. 2) If they justify that David Silva et al are included on the basis of this season alone where is Scott Parker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Silva and De Jong? Great list!
    Nani deservedly there . Charlie Adam ? Yaya Toure ? Scott parker has done well too
    Also Raul Merieles should be there too

God no, he's been a donkey for the most part. Big let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Am i the only one who finds Nani to be terribly inconsistent ?

Granted he is an amazingly talented footballer, when he wants to be, but half the time he is amazing, the other half he is lazy and lacking and just doesn't seem interested.
    He is and can be a match winner, but doesn't provide the consistency needed in my opinion.
    Giggs would be further up the list if he had the energy levels to last 90mins every match, the times he has played, he's been excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Am i the only one who finds Nani to be terribly inconsistent ?

Granted he is an amazingly talented footballer, when he wants to be, but half the time he is amazing, the other half he is lazy and lacking and just doesn't seem interested.
    He is and can be a match winner, but doesn't provide the consistency needed in my opinion.
    Giggs would be further up the list if he had the energy levels to last 90mins every match, the times he has played, he's been excellent

From minute to minute, yes - he is still very inconsistent. But in terms of impact per match.... the guy has been on fire this season. Involved in the majority of goals for United this season.

Since December 09 he has been one of United's best performers and most important players overall. He has been carrying the United attack most of this season.

Still an infuriating fooker when he gets into his 'I MUST SCORE' modes (Birmingham at home a prime example) but in general, I can't have many complaints about him - right up there with Vidic and VDS as player of the season for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Cesc at number one on that list says it all really.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    God no, he's been a donkey for the most part. Big let down.

Really? The few times i've watched full City games he has been brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mark! wrote: »
    Really? The few times i've watched full City games he has been brilliant.

That's the thing, watch him sporadically and he looks fantastic. Watch him play two games in a week or every minute City play and he looks tired (has done since August in fact), loses the ball a lot, and generally doesn't do a much.

I expected better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

as a liverpool fan im shocked to see gerrard number 3 although hes had a decent season after the whole hodgson debacle. but as a liverpool fan im shocked to see no lucas on that list the boy has been magnificent this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

No Lucas is funny :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Nigel De Jong. Legend!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Oh and no Wilshere and Silva not in the top 3 is even funnier

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This could have been a list that they done at the start of the season for the supposed best midfielders, and not based on form at all.

Lazy journalism really imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

That list from the outset is horribly flawed. They talk about in-form and their careers up until now. In that case, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes are considered worse than David Silva and Joey Barton? You've got to be ****ting me Football365.

Ryan Giggs needs replacing soon rather than later...? So that's why he was offerred a new contract?

Kevin Nolan should've received a mention. His partnership with Barton as been of importance. Fourteen goals and seven assists between them.

On Nigel de Jong: "We love him at F365". That just defies the purpose of the article, they're giving their own opinion and not looking at the play objectively from a statistical or 'form' positioning.

Also they don't rely on statistics it implies. What rubbish. Statistics are vital to understanding the season and the progression of the player throughout his career.

Flawed article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Agreed with opinions on Parker...watched him on Sunday v Stoke and he played a great game...pity that the rest of the West Ham are shíte including Robbie "throw my hands in the air" Keane (talk about a fúckin waster..he was embarrassing in that game)
    Had Parker at Newcastle and he was a colossus for us...I remember his game against Arsenal where he ran them ragged...all the time bleeding like mad..
    How a big club has not snapped him up this season is beyond me...same for Nolan. I fully expected to see him leave in the last transfer window..prob this summer though :(
    Man United badly need a player like Parker & Nolan and a lot of the other so-called top clubs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Awful list. Modric gave me a bit of a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Gerrard at number 3? I wouldn't out him near that list this season. Meireles has been far better than Gerrard this year.

No VDV, Parker, Wilshere?

Rubbish list.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

1. Van Der Varrt
    2.Scott Parker
    3.Charlie Adam
    4.Gareth Bale
    5.Samir Nasri
    6.Nani
    7.Yaya Toure
    8Joey Barton
    9.Jack Wilshere
    10.Raul Meireles

The reason why I have Adam and Parker so high is because of their consistantly high performances considering the quality of the players on their teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Sorry, should have referenced the link in case you feel the need to vent in their comment box or whatever

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8750_6813750,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

That_Guy wrote: »
    Awful list. Modric gave me a bit of a laugh.

Modric has been our best midfielder this season.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well, the article has clearly done its job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That's the thing, watch him sporadically and he looks fantastic. Watch him play two games in a week or every minute City play and he looks tired (has done since August in fact), loses the ball a lot, and generally doesn't do a much.

I expected better.

Not sure why, that sums up his career to date. I was amazed City threw that amount of money at him. Fair enough Tevez, Silva etc, but he is a big useless goon in my view. Not built to play midfield, he is just too big to get around the pitch.

The list is mostly crap. Fair enough if VDV was excluded for playing as a de facto striker all season (if so, they should have given the criteria for what they consider a midfielder), but there are alarming absentees and inclusions in the list. Fabregas, Scholes/Giggs, Gerrard are there purely on name value. Parker and Charlie Adam are very notable absentees.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

On this season I would have Tiote ahead of Barton on that list, he has been an amazing find. You need lists for different types of players especially in Midfield. Trying to compare Yaya Toure/Essien to Nani or VDV just doesnt work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Gerrard even being on that list is baffling, nevermind being third on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

gavredking wrote: »
    Its list's like these that make you scratch your head at times.

No Parker, or Van Der Vaart is a bit of a strange pick.

No VDV is worse than strange, it's clueless. They may of course include him as a forward but that's just stupid as he's not a striker, has mainly played in an advanced attacking midfielder role. He's a player of the year contender never mind being in the top 10 midfielders. Charlie Adam is another very notable absentee. Who comes up with this sh1te?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Where the feck is Gibson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Smegball wrote: »
    Where the feck is Gibson!

On the sidelines looking on....nothing new for him. :D

As for Nani...hehe. Swapping his place with Nasri might be more like it....then swapping him again with Meireiles would probably be a true reflection..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Nani's name on that list is well deserved. Strops aside he's been an outstanding player for Manchester United this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

God I love football and the fans - they never agree on anything, no matter how mundane.

Did people read the disclaimer at the top - it is based on the form this year, and throughout their career.

If you were to ask me who I prefer in my team this weekend - Gerrard or Miereles, I would pick Gerrard every single time.

The only one I have doubts about is Barton.

VDV is not a midfielder - he plays too far forward to be included.

As for Lucas, Wilshire, Nolan, Adam - seriously?
    The only things these boys have going for them is that they are doing much better than we thought they would.

MaceFace wrote: »
    God I love football and the fans - they never agree on anything, no matter how mundane.

Did people read the disclaimer at the top - it is based on the form this year, and throughout their career.

If you were to ask me who I prefer in my team this weekend - Gerrard or Miereles, I would pick Gerrard every single time.

The only one I have doubts about is Barton.

VDV is not a midfielder - he plays too far forward to be included.

As for Lucas, Wilshire, Nolan, Adam - seriously?
    The only things these boys have going for them is that they are doing much better than we thought they would.

If it's based on form this season and throughout their career why are de Jong, Bale, Silva etc on it? Why is Lampard not etc?

Normally I think people are entitled to their opinion but whoever made this list is simply wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

People saying Meireles are mad.

He has had a terrible season bar the last... 8 games? He was woeful till Kenny came along, obviously not his fault but hardly makes him good. Lucas has had a more consistant season than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Ebbs wrote: »
    People saying Meireles are mad.

He has had a terrible season bar the last... 8 games? He was woeful till Kenny came along, obviously not his fault but hardly makes him good. Lucas has had a more consistant season than him.

Just about to say the same thing. Unfortunatly Lucas has been burdened with the "Useless" tag. If you actually watch the whole 90 mins of a Liverpool game the work Lucas does is incredible, the ball goes through him more often than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

If it's based on form this season and throughout their career why are de Jong, Bale, Silva etc on it? Why is Lampard not etc?

Normally I think people are entitled to their opinion but whoever made this list is simply wrong

I look at the list this way - ignoring form and injuries, who would you pick in your team for the next game?

Lampard is past his best and has gone backwards pretty quick and has only shown flashes of what he used to be able to do. Giggs and Scholes, who just about made it on the list are still doing it, although not every game.

de Jong and Silva have been very good and we should be somewhat confident that they will be top players for a long time. They may not, but as it stands now, you have to think they will.
    Bale - shows I know nothing about football when I head him being talked about as the best player in the world and just can't see it. Thing is - he is better than the players not on the list, and thats what its about.

MaceFace wrote: »
    I look at the list this way - ignoring form and injuries, who would you pick in your team for the next game?

Lampard is past his best and has gone backwards pretty quick and has only shown flashes of what he used to be able to do. Giggs and Scholes, who just about made it on the list are still doing it, although not every game.

de Jong and Silva have been very good and we should be somewhat confident that they will be top players for a long time. They may not, but as it stands now, you have to think they will.
    Bale - shows I know nothing about football when I head him being talked about as the best player in the world and just can't see it. Thing is - he is better than the players not on the list, and thats what its about.

Yep I agree that Silva, Bale etc will all be good players over the next few years but I'm just saying that's not what the list was about.

I don't agree with what you're saying about Lampard though, he has been class for the last good few years. He's been injured most of this season and he's starting to find a bit of form again recently. I think he'll still have plenty to offer for the near future. Gerrard has declined more than Lampard imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Here's my top 10.

1. Gerrard.
    2. Lampard.
    3. Wilshere.
    4. Carrick.
    5. Scholes.
    6. Lennon.
    7. Walcott.
    8. A. Johnson.
    9. Barry.
    10. Milner.