Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sam smith

• 16-03-2011 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Why on earth have today fm kept him on for the last fourteen years? He is a useless presenter still starting his show each week with a script someone wrote back in 1999

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Why on earth have today fm kept him on for the last fourteen years? He is a useless presenter still starting his show each week with a script someone wrote back in 1999
    because the JNLR figures are good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Always found him a bit elitist. Remember a lot of nudge nudge wink wink interviews with his celtic tiger buddies during the boom years.
    And this celebrity lawyer he has on every week from New York, who represents his mafia clients and gets them off on technicalities - Sam thinks he's a great fella; it's a good job he's several thousand miles away or he'd probably start humping his leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

GSF wrote: »
    because the JNLR figures are good?

Finucance - 283,000

Smyth - 68,000

Dunphy - 51,000

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i'd have to question how essential he is to the show too.

look at marion, charlie bird can take over for weeks on end and no discernable drop in listenership.

dunphy has just announced that his show is up 54% in its listenership so they have to be coming from somewhere and my bet would be sams show.

i used to listen every week, but its got very stale lately. in fact it now sounds more like a bunch of lads talking in a pub about issues that were relevent in the 20th century. theres a definetly feel of irrelevancy of the show, so much so ive actually ended up listening to marion when dunphy goes off on sport.

theres an audience there for the taking so someone needs to either give smyth a kick up the arse or to do a marion and replace him every now and again to keep him awake.

its certainly not the show it was anyway.

proof of the pudding IMO is its wednesday now and im only getting around to streaming it as theres bugger all else on the radio (fecking Mammy is on newstalk now FFS ! )

dunphy has just announced that his show is up 54% in its listenership so they have to be coming from somewhere and my bet would be sams show.

Dunphy's 54% increase doesn't really tally with the figures. The Wide Angle had 40,000 listeners, so Dunphy's show has gained 11,000. I'd imagine himself and Newstalk would have been expecting him to have had a bigger impact by now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0310/1224291772731.html

• Advertisement

Rubik. wrote: »
    Finucance - 283,000

Smyth - 68,000

Dunphy - 51,000
    As the article linked above says, Finucane's audience are driven by 55+s from Dublin. Smyth & Dunphys (especially Smyth's are much younger)

double post.

how the hell can bobby kerr be considered a step in the right direction ?

the bloke can bearly talk, let alone broadcast.

i was an avid listener to newstalks business program when mark mortell was hosting it but i cant even stream it now. today FMs one leaps well away from it in terms of quality now.

and as for finucane.

how the hell can she be the most popular broadcaster when she wasnt even hosting her show for over 14 weeks of the year in 2010 ?

the figures back up its the most popular show , but seeing as half the time theyre not listening to marion you'd have to question that articles assertions.

how the hell can bobby kerr be considered a step in the right direction ?

the bloke can bearly talk, let alone broadcast.

It's more to do with the head of a radio ad agency brown nosing the Chairmen of Insomnia Coffee than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

dont like sam ( how long can i take to complete a sentence ) smyth , incredibly smug man and whats with that weekly cigars and brandy **** fest with that guy from new york , exactly who is that segment meant to appeal to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

I used to be a regular listener to The Sunday Supplement, but not any more.

It may be my imagination, but since the rebrand to "Sam Smyth on Sunday", he does seem to have lost the run of himself. Too many texts are dismissed with condescending, or snide, comments and some of the "banter" with Hayes is cringeworthy.

As for Bobby Kerr; I initially thought I'd give it a chance. The chance wasn't taken. It isn't going to get any better either in terms of style or substance; you'd hope the search for a replacement has begun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

in fact it now sounds more like a bunch of lads talking in a pub about issues....

That's pretty much how it sounded to me this morning.

I'm not a regular listener, but I just can't tolerate Dunphy and Marian's show has become so dull, so I thought I'd listen in for the last half hour or so of Sam.....awful. As already mentioned, the chat with Ed Hayes is cringeworthy, what's the point of it? and the rest was just Sam and the panel (incl. Mary O'Rourke:rolleyes:) rambling and sneering.

Sunday morning radio has gone to sh1te.

dunphy was a bit naff alright today but when i heard mary on sam i fled back.

i cant stand that woman.

i had a vain hope once she lost her seat that'd be the back of her , but no shes fecking everywhere now. im almost at the stage where i expect her to get her own bloody show now.

marion was some crap love in with some bloke only marion seems to know so i was stuck with eamon.

ill stream sams show during the week as it passes the time, but by god im glad you can hop ahead in the podcasts to skip the shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

It may be an image problem at Today FM, I'd say most people see Today FM as being essentially a music station first and talk second and that's why I think Matt Cooper's programme has dropped a lot of listeners too, and why Smyth has a relatively low listenership compared to Marian, who was only put into that slot a couple of years ago (seen as a risky move at the time), Smyth had almost a 10 year headstart on her but is way behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I think Smyth isn't a bad presenter, but he really needs to drop the Hayes section. Boring rambling anecdotes that kill the show stone dead and from which it never recovers. Have him on once a month, maybe, with an actual topic of relevance to an Irish audience; the latest show had him recounting do pro-bono for some guy, a story with no punchline. At least with podcasts you can hit stop.

P.

The show hasn't been the same since Boris stopped doing his bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Used to like Dunphy's show up until a few weeks ago when he and his guests had a Denis O'Brien love-in, and rubbished the Moriarty Report. I wonder why?? :rolleyes: Hypocrites.

Finucane's show is okay at times but I'm sick of the elitist guests she has on every Sunday, most of them made up of barristers, lecturers, economists (who couldn't forecast a fart in an Indian curry house) etc. What about some ordinary people for a change??

I gave up listening to Sam Smyth a while ago. It's going nowehere fast. Also can't see the point of him speaking to Ed Hayes every Sunday. Boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I like him. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Ed Hayes replaced Dennis Duggan who used to do the "letter from America" bit on the show. I think Sam Smyth worked with Dennis Duggan in the states and he met Hayes through Duggan.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Yesterday's link to America was embarrassing, with a whole section of it focussed on how an outfit for Ed Hayes cost $25,000 or something!

Basically the type of fawning obsession-with-excess and ridiculous waste that led up into a recession and they're still at it.

Mind you, they're not the only ones, with an RTE TV show last night showing a couple spending €27,000 on a kitchen!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Yesterday's link to America was embarrassing, with a whole section of it focussed on how an outfit for Ed Hayes cost $25,000 or something!

yeah I thought that section was embarrassing as well Liam .. "how much was your hat, how much was your shirt, how much was your tie"... He just wouldnt let it go.. very unprofessional and monotonous..
    Mind you, they're not the only ones, with an RTE TV show last night showing a couple spending €27,000 on a kitchen!

well it was a very nice kitchen and in their defence, they were "only going to be doing it the once"...

Regarding Sam, I dont think he's as good a presenter as either Finucane or Dunphy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Rubik. wrote: »
    Finucance - 283,000

Smyth - 68,000

Dunphy - 51,000
    Means nothing.Blur play the Olympia while westlife fill Croke Park.

todolist wrote: »

It means RTE can charge advertisers a lot more in that time slot than Today fm and Newstalk can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

todolist wrote: »

I think there is a HUGE element of tradition with those figures.. I rarely listen to anything other than RTE on Sat / Sunday, primarily cos my radio is usually set to Radio 1 and tbh I simply never think to check the other channels.. And this is the case whether Marian is presenting it or not...

Love the way you can pull down all the podcasts for the three programmes shortly afterwards... especially when Sunday afternoon radio can be so boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Sam Smyth is a very poor journalist. His only claim to fame was the story, handed to him on plate, about Ben Dunne's generosity to Haughey and Lowry, he has never uncovered a single story of any significance.

As for his Radio show? Just listen to it and notice how he continually interrupts other speakers, he never lets anyone finish the point they try to make.

One has to wonder at those who select such presenters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

god, ten or 11 years ago i first started listening to this show and it was so smug you could smell the brandy and cigars coming out of the car stereo. Sam with Smug Barrister Git, Smug Economist Git and Smug Polititian..... Git in the studio

In the weekend of the moriarity report I tunes in just because of his role in it, and christ it had not changed one bit. I would nto turn over the dumphy, back in the day dont forget these two were poster boys (alongside Brendan o connor in the sindo) for the Celtic Tiger and the pursuit of greed. I have to laugh when I hear of them tut tutting those times now. So, nope, Sunday Supplicant or Sam Smyth show, all the same to me, and well past its sell by date.

Advertisement