Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Fencing

Options
  • 16-03-2011 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm just about to start off on a self-build in the Galway area. The first thing I need to do is put up a fence on either side of my site as it is currently in a large open field ...

Any advice on what's the best type of fence to put up, all timber, concrete posts etc ... ?

Who in the Galway area supplies and installs fencing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mickeyjo

mel2012, just put up a similar post, am trying to find out best option too.
    I got a quote from Colourfence-lets just say that even if I won the lotto, I think I'd be at pains to part with that amount of cash. Only the man was so nice, I could have started laughing. And I can't imagine how one could get any money out of that franchise.
    Saying all that, if one has the cash, it is lovely and steel and secure and strong.
    But me personally-wouldn't spend it on a fence

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Just left a response to MJ's post and whatever option you take try not to put wooden posts in. It may be cheaper in the short term but in a few years they will rot regardless of preservative and you will have to redo.

Some lads are selling cheap (as opposed to properly zinc plated/dipped thick wall tube and profile) steel coated thin wall tube and profile posts imo they are going to go the same way as wooden posts in our climate. Fine in Spain but won't last in our climate.

Even if you can't afford the chainlink fence at the moment put in the concrete posts and just run the guide wires to keep animals off and deliniate your boundary. Then when you get more cash put up the chainlink. Which is reasonable when DIY and pretty easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There are many fine examples of post and rail with/out chainlink throughout the countryside. Still by far the most popular and when planted up, it is surprising how quickly ground conditions can improve. Sure there are also crappy examples, but IMO, post'n'rail is worth it. You will also see many jettys, berths and quaysides constructed using PT timber posts.

Pressure Timber posts are very robust, but very few timbers are intended to be permanently standing in water. Timber is also much nicer than concrete posts.

BTW if you want a troublefree timber finish, use larch - you'll be waiting a very long time to see any degradation/rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mel2012

Thanks for all the replies folks ... very informative.

Sonnenblumen - how long on average could I expect timber posts and rails to last before starting to rot, even when coated with larch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

"Sonnenblumen" is quite right when recommending Larch, i put my fences up nearly 12 years ago now, and if someone was to see the posts for the first time, they'd think they were there only a year. They're a lifetime job.

• Advertisement

I've just gotten a quote for taninised Spruce posts and rails. what would your thoughts be on this type of timber?

mel2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies folks ... very informative.

Sonnenblumen - how long on average could I expect timber posts and rails to last before starting to rot, even when coated with larch?

mel

You'd be unlucky to see a sturdy PT fence deteriorate within 15-20 years, and if planted up, you'd expect a lifetime.

If you ever drive along the M6 Galway/Sligo, you will see miles of newly (well about 15 months now) marvellous PT Chainlinked post'n'rail fencing. Not a concrete post in sight!!

Larch would be a much more expensive finish. A beautiful finish which you would not want to hide behind planting.

I've just gotten a quote for taninised Spruce posts and rails. what would your thoughts be on this type of timber?

As a matter of interest, what were you quoted/linear metre ? PM me if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cornflakeman

I'm just about to start off on a self-build in the Galway area. The first thing I need to do is put up a fence on either side of my site as it is currently in a large open field ...

Any advice on what's the best type of fence to put up, all timber, concrete posts etc ... ?

Who in the Galway area supplies and installs fencing?

reckon best option for stock proof fence and look of fence is to go for cresototed round fence posts with sheep wire on field side with 2 strands
    barbed wire on top or strand of single strand electric wire instead of barb if you prefer and then sow hedging on your side .hedge will be up in 2/3 years time nice and thick . fence should be around 7.5 EURO per metre .

So, in general is timber posts with chainlink fencing cheaper than a post n' rail fencing?

• Advertisement

So, in general is timber posts with chainlink fencing cheaper than a post n' rail fencing?

P&R with chainlink (not to be confused with Sheep wire) finish is far superior and would be more expensive than plain P&R.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Go2Guy

I have to agree, p & r with chain link wire is the all round best. If securing the posts in concrete, I recommend wrapping the bottoms in plastic eg fertilizer bags to preserve them a bit longer...the concrete eventually eats into them.
    G2G

Advertisement