Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rising Damp Problem- Breaking Lease

Options
  • 16-03-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am living in a (very old) house now for just under 6 months and there has been an increasing rising damp problem. It has made all the tenants sick in the house with typical symptoms of chest infections, headaches and the flu. This was addressed with the landlord who gave us paint to paint over the problem but it will not solve the source.

In addition to this, the electricity has gone once where an electrician needed to be called to fix the problem.

The sewage pipes have been blocked twice now resulting in waste all over the back of the house as you can imagine, not pleasant.

The doors keep sticking and at one point or another we have all been locked into rooms.

At this stage, we would rather just break the lease as the place is not liveable and making us all ill.

Trying to research breaking the lease, can anyone help direct me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

You would need a doctor to certify that the damp has caused these chest infections, headaches and flu as there's plenty of them doing the rounds all the time and not caused by damp.

The electricity went, and was fixed by a qualified electrician, how is that a problem? :confused:

Has the sewage problem been addressed? Were things flushed down the toilet that aren't meant to be? face wipes etc?

Could you not ask your landlord to get the doors shaved down by a carpenter so they don't stick? I believe most doors expand and contract. I know mine do anyway.

I don't mean to sounds harsh but you knowingly moved into an old house, there will always be issues in every house or apartment.

You could find another tenant to take over your lease or leave if your lease has a break clause.

Advertisement