Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1tb 2.5" usb 2.0 external hard disk dilema

Options
  • 16-03-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm in the market for a new usb 2.0 2.5" external hard disk right now. I've been looking around and can see the max of 1tb capacity. Anyone know if larger drives such as 1.5gb or 2gb will be available soon in 2.5"?

Also, I'm wondering what is the best 1tb 2.5" hard disk available right now. I'm not interested in anything under 1tb. I've seen this one on amazon and it looks the best so far. I'll have this drive plugged into a WDTV media player permanently.

All feedback appreciated!

Cheers,
    ~livEwirE~

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

If it's going to be plugged in permanently, why are you limiting yourself to a 2.5" one?...

For the same price you could get a faster 2TB model;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-External-Desktop/dp/B003IPC21Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300285221&sr=8-1

It'll obviously need its own power source, and will be a good bit bigger, but for the sake of having 2TB of space (or 1TB at almost half the price), they're minor niggles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Seagate have had a 1.5TB 2.5" drive on the market since late last year.

The drive itself is taller than a standard 9.5mm drive, so it won't fit in most laptops. But if you're only looking at externals that doesnt really matter.

You'll see 1.5TB and 2TB 2.5" drives from most manufacturers this year, but they'll all be taller three-platter designs. You won't see 2TB in a 9.5mm size for at least a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

@ tman, appreciate the suggestion but I'm only interested in 2.5" right now mate.:)

@ Voodu Child, thanks for that mate, didn't know they existed, am definately interested in that, although the price is still a bit steep right now. Cheers mate:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

just going to voice my opinion. i bought a 1Tb HDD a long time ago, and the hassle of a wall plug (and the size of the damn thing) is a real nuisance. i regret not getting a 2.5" every time i use it/move it between PC's/xbox's etc.

for a little bit extra, (but really only if you see yourself moving it around) get a 2.5" HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    just going to voice my opinion. i bought a 1Tb HDD a long time ago, and the hassle of a wall plug (and the size of the damn thing) is a real nuisance. i regret not getting a 2.5" every time i use it/move it between PC's/xbox's etc.
    Fair point, I have a 320GB usb powered model that I use for shady activities on my Wii and PS3, then a 500GB drive that I can't even find the bloody plug for!

Feel silly for my suggestion now that I think about it:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 InsightTech

The performance of the drives are typically determined by their power requirement.
    Most drives wont give the same performance powered by USB bus as they would if powered by an external power adapter.

Also, try and sit your external HDD on a good solid surface, the more vibration the drive detects the slower it will run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Cheers for all the advice guys, its VERY much appreciated:D

Advertisement