Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Promoting Boards.ie photogs

• 16-03-2011 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

Just thought I'd mention this as a new way to promote your work.

We've put a new curation app live on Storyful.com, and we've had one of the first really nice stories put together by an Irish photographer, Brian Carlin.

Click here.

Would love to see some other Irish work there. We've already helped another Irish photog, Damian Drohan get some exposure, and as a long-time lurker and infrequent poster on here, I know there are a lot more of you out there of the same standard. We'd love to give the best a further bump through our Viewfinder section on the front page, like Damian (see more examples below).

There's a grounder here, most of you folk will be able to jump right in, though, I'd expect.

I hope this doesn't come across as spam, I did ping the mods and they gave me the all clear to post, but I'll remove the post if there are objections.

Feel free to get in touch with any questions, or any feedback.

Markham

Why/How to posts from me:
    http://storyful.com/markhamnolan

Example portfolio features:
    http://goo.gl/3DRVJ
    http://goo.gl/a9l0L
    http://goo.gl/oUrp7
    http://goo.gl/wzFlS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

I can't find any mention of copyright?

You obviously are in the business of selling news.
    Will the photos be passed on for profit and does the photographer/curator get anything from it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    I can't find any mention of copyright?

You obviously are in the business of selling news.
    Will the photos be passed on for profit and does the photographer/curator get anything from it?

Terms and conditions

Storyful wrote:
    4. Submitting graphical material and photography and video for publication

When you send a photograph, video or other graphical material to us you do so in accordance with these Terms of Service. This means that you hereby agree that you have created the graphical works, or taken the photograph(s) or video(s) you have sent to us, or you have permission from or are authorised by the owner of the material to send it (them) to us. By submitting the material, you are granting us a non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to publish or republish, or otherwise use any such graphical works or photography in any format, including without limitation in print and electronic formats.

Selected photographs and graphical material will be published at the discretion of the editor and you will not be paid, even if your photograph(s) is (are) published.

We may cut, edit, crop or arrange your photograph(s), video(s) or graphic as we think fit to appear on the Storyful web site, and we may remove your photograph(s), video(s) or graphics at any time.

Your name will be published alongside your photograph(s) or graphic, but we may edit or delete any comments which you submit along with your photograph(s) or graphic.

IMPORTANT: You or the owner of the photograph(s) still own the copyright in the photograph(s) sent to us and are free to republish the photograph(s) wherever you or the owner wish and in whatever medium you or the owner want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

@markham - is there a 'sandbox' kinda thing that we can upload content into just to see how the thing works without anything going live as it were?

Thanks.

Markham wrote: »

I hope this doesn't come across as spam[URL="http://"][/URL]

Not spam, but just another site trawling for free photography and trying to make a buck from it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    @markham - is there a 'sandbox' kinda thing that we can upload content into just to see how the thing works without anything going live as it were?

Thanks.

Sure thing - you can publish stories as a draft, it won't be publicly visible, but you can preview it as it would sit in the page.

• Advertisement

Not spam, but just another site trawling for free photography and trying to make a buck from it :eek:

The 'how to' posts are pretty clear as to where the benefits lie, but they won't be for everyone, and if you feel that the app doesn't serve your purposes, we've no problem with that.

We're not in the business of selling your content, or even taking commission. We'll give it a boost and form there it's up to you. The caveats are pretty much the same as they are for anyone posting images to twitpic/yfrog/flickr or any other site - there's always the risk that some wag will screengrab them for their own profit. But really, we're not interested in that. We're watched by a lot of major media orgs, all of whom are, in our experience, very nervous about copyright, and would rather buy exclusive rights to content than use it without permission and risk a noisy lawsuit.

Apologies Mark, if I've picked you up wrong. I had assumed Storyful was there to make money by selling/reselling stories and their attachments.

So it's a non commercial venture then, is it?

So it's a non commercial venture then, is it?

The community element of the site and the curation app are non-commercial, yes. We won't be re-selling anyone's images. But where a media group expresses an interest in content created by a user and posted on Storyful, or in contacting the creator, we'll make the introduction and leave the two parties to negotiate from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Markham wrote: »
    Sure thing - you can publish stories as a draft, it won't be publicly visible, but you can preview it as it would sit in the page.

Had a bash over lunch. Looks really easy to pick up content on sites like youtube, flickr, and twitter. It has an issue I think that everything will end up looking the same - how and ever, there is only so much you can do.

How about getting your own images in there - self hosted, twitpics, pix.ie? It may be clear and I may be stoopid :) Tried the add link. If I add link to a .jpg file then it should (i would imagine) pick up and import/display the image.

Can I email "my story" images - so perhaps being able to build a live story - reporting as it happens sort of stuff.

Also, when we publish I presume there is some sort of approval process from the storyful guys?

Do you get to see stats/what the hit rate may be on your story?

And finally, are there any restrictions on linking back to your own personal site / getting appropriately attributed to the content?

Nice stuff though. Well done.

Thanks for the explanations and once again apologies for lumping you in with the plethora of sites looking to exploit photography :o

Sounds like this is a terrific venture from everyones perspective. Well done and I wish you great success.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Had a bash over lunch. Looks really easy to pick up content on sites like youtube, flickr, and twitter. It has an issue I think that everything will end up looking the same - how and ever, there is only so much you can do.

How about getting your own images in there - self hosted, twitpics, pix.ie? It may be clear and I may be stoopid :) Tried the add link. If I add link to a .jpg file then it should (i would imagine) pick up and import/display the image.

Yep, if you upload to twitpic/yfrog, etc, and use the 'Add Link' it'll upload automagically.
    Can I email "my story" images - so perhaps being able to build a live story - reporting as it happens sort of stuff.
    Not sure what you mean by this...[/QUOTE]
    Also, when we publish I presume there is some sort of approval process from the storyful guys?
    Posts go live immediately, but we reserve the right to unpublish or delete stories in cases of defamation/objectionable content. We're all liberal-minded folk in here and have open minds, but we don't want to be sued.

Do you get to see stats/what the hit rate may be on your story?
    It's not a feature we've got enabled at present. This is very much the first iteration, and we're looking to see what features people really want so that we can improve the app dynamically.

And finally, are there any restrictions on linking back to your own personal site / getting appropriately attributed to the content?
    FIRE AT WILL - we want the people who create the content to get full credit, and if you can't link back, where's the benefit, innit?

Nice stuff though. Well done.

Ta.

Thanks for the explanations and once again apologies for lumping you in with the plethora of sites looking to exploit photography :o

Sounds like this is a terrific venture from everyones perspective. Well done and I wish you great success.

Thanks. To be honest, we know that people are likely to have this kind of reaction initially, and it's quite understandable, given the history of other sites scraping, etc. We're all bloggers & journos in here, so we're alive to the pitfalls.

Can you hotlink a word in the text? Can't seem to do it:o

You can, by using textile links.

Here's how:

"LINK TEXT":http://desiredURL.com

We know it's not ideal, we'll be adding a link button soon.

Bit of a nightmare to edit, with cursor constantly jumping to the start.

Managed eventually to get main photo in there (it won't take anything from my website). The main photo only takes landscape and as mine was portrait I'd like to replace it but can't see how to?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I would like to say that Markham did this the right way and approached the Mods to ask before posting. We had a look and checked this wasn't Spam before agreeing.

Thanks for doing that.

Well the sceptic has given it a go :D

Here

Found it not that easy to use tbh, especially the main photo which would not work for me linking to any online site!

I'll take it down if it's not quite what you were looking for, no bother.

Well the sceptic has given it a go :D

Here

Found it not that easy to use tbh, especially the main photo which would not work for me linking to any online site!

I'll take it down if it's not quite what you were looking for, no bother.

Looks good. Yu should have been able to drag/drop the main pic across from a flickr search on the right. We'll be improving the speed, look & feel of the drag/drop in general in the next few days.

We're very much in the bug-finding mode, and any criticism of the functionality will actually be very valuable for us right now. I should point out that you can embed a flickr slideshow by copy/pasting the code and using the 'embed source' option. Width is 600px.

It could be work related so I'll try at home again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I've had a look at the site and it's not 100% clear what exactly it is, no search field that I can find, not clear what each category is either....

Advertisement