Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oil company did not use meter to track amount of oil received

• 16-03-2011 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

hi everyone.need help, advise here.

Recently had oil fill,you all know how expensive that is,but thought it better now, than when it went through the roof totally.

The guy came in into my house and said it was one price but he was giving me a good deal.he said it was 820,but visa arrived today and it was 830 on bill.

the BIGGEST problem i have is,he did not use the meter.he did not tell me, he did not use the meter.i discovered after he left,phoned him and he said he forgot.well thats not good enough.how do i know how much oil he put in my tank if he FORGOT to put on the meter .

i rang his office today and asked how much a 1000 litres of oil was,what i really wanted to know is if they always use the meter,i was assured that they do.why then i asked did the guy not use the meter to accurately assess how much oil he put in my tank 5 weeks ago.this is not about the price of oil,this is about an accurate reading of the actual amount of oil that was put in my oil tank that i can see printed on a receipt.

does anyone know why he decided not to use the meter reading system.im not saying he ripped me off,BUT THATS HOW I FEEL. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭raymark

hi guys.i posted a threat on 16th march,re the oil company did not use meter to fill oil tank.can anyone out there please let me know if this has happened to them. in this day and age why would they not use the meter.any other time i got oil in the last ten years they did use the meter.i am really not happy this has happened.can any one please offer advise or assistance.thank you raymark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

You might get a better response in the consumer issues forum. Ask a mod to move the thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi Ray

as far as i know the guy has no choice. The meters are automated and tick over when the fuel is let out from the tank on the vehicle. it doesnt have to be 'switched on'.

driver should be writing the amount on a docket that you get a copy off. you should check this copied docket. and to be fair you should have checked it before signing for it.

thanks for yor reply.how do i get someone to move the thread.why did the oil man not put the meter on in the first place,i assumed he would as any other oil company had used the meter before.i know you may not have the answer,but can anyone give me any sort of explaination.i trusted he would meter the amount of oil he put in the tank.im not great on computers.thanks anyway.raymark

thanks for your reply.i understand what you are saying,but my question is he did not meter the amount of oil he put in,why ???? i expected him to meter the oil as other companys do.

• Advertisement

could the mod please move this thread to the appropriate place.thank you.raymark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

The oil company should have issued you a receipt with the following information:
    1. The amount of fuel supplied in litres
    2. The price per litre
    3. Total cost ex VAT
    4. Total cost including VAT

Did you get this receipt? If not ring the company and ask them why not?
    How much did you get charged?

Did they charge you a fixed price for a fill of oil or something like that?
    Oil companies always charge per litre, so yes they should have used the meter to show you exactly how much oil you received.

Sorry I do not know why, it is strange though Hopefully when the mod moves it you should get more responses because this forum can be very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

by law all fuel has to be measured just like in a filling station, AFAIK customs & excise look after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Moved to Consumer Issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The best thing you can do is to request a statement from the company showing the start and end readings from the meter for the delivery of oil which you recieved. If they dither or fail to supply this then contact customs and report the issue with them as the guy may well be selling oil from dubious sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

OP, did you get a printout giving details of the transaction as a receipt when the driver processed the credit card?

bandit197 wrote: »
    The oil company should have issued you a receipt with the following information:
    1. The amount of fuel supplied in litres
    2. The price per litre
    3. Total cost ex VAT
    4. Total cost including VAT

Did you get this receipt? If not ring the company and ask them why not?
    How much did you get charged?

Did they charge you a fixed price for a fill of oil or something like that?
    Oil companies always charge per litre, so yes they should have used the meter to show you exactly how much oil you received.
    hi bandit.thank you for your reply.i got a hand written receipt which he wrote out in my kitchen,to be honest bandit i have livee here for nearly 30 years,and this was the quickest oil fill i ever had,it took him a couple of minutes,he kind of dithered in my kitchen,he said it was 1 price and he was giving me a special offer.he said he was only charging me 79 cent a litre,he wrote out a receipt for 830 euro,then told me he was going to charge me 820.after he left i checked the receipt and discovered he had not used the meter,i was surprised and shocked.i rang him and asked him why he said he forgot...to be honest bandit,how does someone who does a job every day forget something so important,my visa bill arrived on 16th march,he charged me 830 euro.this is really about him not using the meter,so i could check he put in what he said he put in.thats why they were introduced.if he had used the meter,i certainly would not be writing about this.again thank you for taking the time to reply.best wishes raymark

Basq wrote: »
    Moved to Consumer Issues.
    thank you.raymark

ShaunC wrote: »
    by law all fuel has to be measured just like in a filling station, AFAIK customs & excise look after this.
    hi shaun.thanks for your reply.does that include the oil in my oil tank,as you can imagine im not happy,not because oil costs,but because i trusted someone to do a job that im paying for and he did not do the job properly,ie he did not use the meter,i thought thats why they were introduced,so that you paid a fair price for a service,which should have included a proper meter reading,i dont think im being unfair....am i ? regards raymark

OP, did you get a printout giving details of the transaction as a receipt when the driver processed the credit card?
    hi,thanks for reply.no he said he did not have a machine and wrote the no down by hand.i have the receipt its all hand written.there is no print out for the amount of oil or anything,i have only his word for the amount he put in,he knew i was nt happy when i rang him and asked why he did not use the meter.he said he forgot.regards raymark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just contact the company and politely ask for a receipt showint the start and finish readings. You are entitled to it and it should be no problem. If they say they haven't one due to an errot then ask how they got to the amount you were charged for. If they will not furnish details contact Consumer Affairs.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The best thing you can do is to request a statement from the company showing the start and end readings from the meter for the delivery of oil which you recieved. If they dither or fail to supply this then contact customs and report the issue with them as the guy may well be selling oil from dubious sources.
    thanks for your reply foggy_lad.if they could give me a statement showing me the start and end reading,which i asked for when i rang him 5 mins after he left my house,why did he not give it to me,he just says he forgot,how does one forget such an important part of his job? how can i find out if he could have given me a reading after he left,he was driving when i rang him and asked about the meter reading.regards raymark

Just contact the company and politely ask for a receipt showint the start and finish readings. You are entitled to it and it should be no problem. If they say they haven't one due to an errot then ask how they got to the amount you were charged for. If they will not furnish details contact Consumer Affairs.
    i have they gave me some stuff about their poor guys being run off their feet during the snow{which had nothing to do with me as i did not get oil during the snow} and how hard they had worked.he said he would refund the 10 euro i had been over charged,remember i said the guy who delivered the oil said it was 820,the receipt said 830,the delivery guy then said it should have been 816 euro.but i still did not get a printed out meter reading from them.is i have to pay visa 830 because that was on the visa bill.i was polite on the phone but got no where.i felt like it was my fault by the time the conversation was ended.i just wanted a proper receipt.sorry for repeating myself here,but im sure you understand how i feel.regards raymark

listermint wrote: »
    Hi Ray

as far as i know the guy has no choice. The meters are automated and tick over when the fuel is let out from the tank on the vehicle. it doesnt have to be 'switched on'.

driver should be writing the amount on a docket that you get a copy off. you should check this copied docket. and to be fair you should have checked it before signing for it.
    hi listermint.many thanks for your reply.i did not sign anything.he just wrote my visa no, on the slip that was all hand printed,there was nothing at all type printed on the receipt.why did the guy have no choice,he could have put the receipt into the machine or whatever it is they put it into to record the amount of oil they put in your oil tank.why then did he say he forgot to put it in the machine when i asked him 5 mins after he left my house when i rang and asked him why there was no print out on the receipt.regards raymark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

raymark wrote: »
    but i still did not get a printed out meter reading from them.is i have to pay visa 830 because that was on the visa bill.
    I'd be tempted to threaten a charge-back with Visa, if they didn't produce proof that they had put X amount of oil into your tank.

I'm taking it you have no idea how much was in it (if even with a measuring stick), and how much was in it after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

<short version>
    someone tried to pull a fast one on you, got called on it and can't back up their charge
    </short version>

Some basic questions here -
    * is this a big brand delivery company or a local lad selling oil without branding ?
    * let's assume he actually did forget (remember this is a core part of his job and is central to what he does day in and day out) can you think of any possible way he might have otherwise estimated how much oil he delivered if not through a meter ?

If you think about this, do you reckon the gaffer sends him out with 4,500 litres oil in the morning and is happy for him to arrive back at the end of the day with 0 litres, nothing on the meter and only his word as to who he delivered to ? I don't think so. Unless he's working for himself (possible) and knew he only put in 1,000 litres before driving out to you and emptied everything into your tank then there's something clearly amiss here.

I call shennanigans on his part.

z

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to threaten a charge-back with Visa, if they didn't produce proof that they had put X amount of oil into your tank.

I'm taking it you have no idea how much was in it (if even with a measuring stick), and how much was in it after?
    hi syco.thanks for your reply.he said there was about a quater of the tank,i recon more as i have solid fuel heating which i use all of the time.after i discovered he did not use the meter 5 mins after he left i rang him he said he forgot,so i took a look in the tank,he did put oil in it.he charged me for 1040 litres.the tank says it holds 1225 litres,i read that off the tank after he left that day.so if there was a quater of a tank and he put in 1040 litres and the tank was still not full.can they still give me a printed reading for the 20th 2 2011 now.i did query this five mins after the oil delivery man left and i did ask him to come back to give me a printed reading but he said he forgot to put the docket in the machine,is that possible?thanks raymark

Afaik all companies must keep records of who they sell kerosene/home heating diesel/parrafin to so they must have some records of how much oil was delivered to you and the only reliable way to measure this is through the meters fitted to the outlet on the lorries. the driver is supposed to place a carbonised sheet into the meter and you get one copy either as an invoice or attached to your invoice while the other copy goes to the office for the company records.

This smacks of something dodgey going on with excise or VAT.

hi syco.thanks for your reply.he said there was about a quater of the tank,i recon more as i have solid fuel heating which i use all of the time.after i discovered he did not use the meter 5 mins after he left i rang him he said he forgot,so i took a look in the tank,he did put oil in it.he charged me for 1040 litres.the tank says it holds 1225 litres,i read that off the tank after he left that day.so if there was a quater of a tank and he put in 1040 litres and the tank was still not full.can they still give me a printed reading for the 20th 2 2011 now.i did query this five mins after the oil delivery man left and i did ask him to come back to give me a printed reading but he said he forgot to put the docket in the machine,is that possible?thanks raymark
    Do a charge-back on your credit card, just ring the credit card company up and tell them the amount is in dispute and you want the payment refunded until it is sorted out, they must do this! And then wait for the invoice and proof of delivery from the oil company which they will not be able to provide!

zagmund wrote: »
    <short version>
    someone tried to pull a fast one on you, got called on it and can't back up their charge
    </short version>

Some basic questions here -
    * is this a big brand delivery company or a local lad selling oil without branding ?
    * let's assume he actually did forget (remember this is a core part of his job and is central to what he does day in and day out) can you think of any possible way he might have otherwise estimated how much oil he delivered if not through a meter ?

If you think about this, do you reckon the gaffer sends him out with 4,500 litres oil in the morning and is happy for him to arrive back at the end of the day with 0 litres, nothing on the meter and only his word as to who he delivered to ? I don't think so. Unless he's working for himself (possible) and knew he only put in 1,000 litres before driving out to you and emptied everything into your tank then there's something clearly amiss here.

I call shennanigans on his part.

z
    hi zagmund,many thanks for taking time to reply to my dilemma.yes its a local delivery service,but they now work with a bigger company.do you know something,even before he came into my house and told me how much it was,i thought to myself thats the fastest oil fill i ever got,ive been here for nearly thirty years and ive had one fill a year.i only use it two hours a day.i should have stuck with my gut feeling,but i did not,but i was curious enough to check the receipt afterwards,something ive never done before until that day,i was shocked to see no printed receipt only a hand written one,i took out other oil receipts and they all had type printed details on them.i did ring him five mins after he left and asked him why the receipt was not printed,he told me he forgot to put it in the machinewhat can i do now.i certainly wont use that company again,the old adage applies here.once bitten,twice shy..i will pay what i owe always,but i dont like being ripped off,my gut feeling all the way is the guy ripped me off,and i think he knows i know.can i request a printed out receipt at this stage.surely they have to keep records.he came on a saturday around 3pm.again thanks for your time.regards raymark

hi shaun.thanks for your reply.does that include the oil in my oil tank,as you can imagine im not happy,not because oil costs,but because i trusted someone to do a job that im paying for and he did not do the job properly,ie he did not use the meter,i thought thats why they were introduced,so that you paid a fair price for a service,which should have included a proper meter reading,i dont think im being unfair....am i ? regards raymark
    All you need worry about is the oil companies proof of delivery which they do not have so cant prove they delivered even a litre of oil to you! Do a charge back to your credit card while they argue their case and make an acceptible offer to you, The driver probably saw your tank with a fair bit of oil so threw in a bit to bring the level up and filled his own tank or did a cash deal with a friend or neighbour for the rest of your oil!

Afaik all companies must keep records of who they sell kerosene/home heating diesel/parrafin to so they must have some records of how much oil was delivered to you and the only reliable way to measure this is through the meters fitted to the outlet on the lorries. the driver is supposed to place a carbonised sheet into the meter and you get one copy either as an invoice or attached to your invoice while the other copy goes to the office for the company records.

This smacks of something dodgey going on with excise or VAT.
    hi hi foggy_lad.thanks for your reply.the driver did not place the carbonised sheet into the meter because he 'forgot' not sure how anyone can forget something that important,dont know how he came up with 1040 litres,but thats what he charged me for,he actually charged me 830 euro.again i say to you this is not about the price of oil,its about a recorded receipt that shows me he put 1040 litres of oil in my tank,imsick over it as i feel ive been done and i dont know what to do about it or even if there is something i can do other than pay the 830 euros.if i had the printed out receipt i would not be questionong any of this i would take it i got the oil,but something tells me very loudly i did not.regards.raymark

Do a charge-back on your credit card, just ring the credit card company up and tell them the amount is in dispute and you want the payment refunded until it is sorted out, they must do this! And then wait for the invoice and proof of delivery from the oil company which they will not be able to provide!
    thanks foggy_lad,can i do that,the guy wasnt a bit nice to me on the phone,he starting getting annoyed cause i was asking him why i did not have a recorded receipt i first asked did they always provide a printed receipt and he said yes always,then i told him i did not get one,then he changed the subject and went on about the oil guys working their butts off delivering oil during the snow{which i did not get or ask him to deliver to me}i felt quite threatened by his words,he was angry,but sure i said nothing i just asked for a printed receipt,which i still have not received.they were suppose to ring me back that was on 11th march.to be honest not sure i want to talk to them again.can they still give me a printed receipt.the receipt he wrote out says the 20th feb but he came here on saturday the 19th.everything including my visa no was written in pen by him in my kitchen that day.nothing is printed out on the receipt he gave me.thanks again raymark:mad:

• Advertisement

OP, just wanted to say that when people 'fill' their tank it's not normally full, I've often had a quarter tank and got a thousand litres and the tank is nowhere near full, maybe there's a reason for it or the oil is only supposed to go up to a certain point? Someone here should know anyway!

Advertisement