Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxing Tips

• 16-03-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Anyone out there that can give me a few tips for photographing boxing. I've been given the chance to photograph a boxing match, first time doing it :O
    Other then trying not to get the ropes between me and the boxers in the frame what other tips can you guys help me with.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Like most indoor sports... suss out the lighting and if you can use flash or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Anyone out there that can give me a few tips for photographing boxing. I've been given the chance to photograph a boxing match, first time doing it :O
    Other then trying not to get the ropes between me and the boxers in the frame what other tips can you guys help me with.

Thanks
    What sort of lens(es) are you planning on using? They'd probably need to be fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I was thinking of asking a local club could I take some pics of some of their fights so am interested in this too.
    For example how do you get photos without the ropes getting in the way? If it's not a stadium with teared seats how do you get 'elevated'? I presume you can't stand just outside the ropes (too dangerous).

I'd dont' have a fast zoom at the moment but thinking of getting a 70-200 f2.8 down the line (cheapily hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Thanks guys, have a sigma 70-200 F2.8 and a Canon 24-70L F2.8 was thinking of using the Canon, from what I gather I will be ring side.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

70-200 should do the job - i very much doubt you will be able to use flash at ringside - make sure shutter speed is as fast as possible but you will have to balance this alongside iso - depending on your camera set it max 3200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Do you know where the fight is and what the lighting will be like? The lenses you have will defo do the trick, is it a full frame or crop sensor you have?

Thanks guys, its on in the Citywest conference centre, unfortunately only have a crop sensor using a Canon 7D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Cool :) Well rte will be there and i cant remember what american network is picking it up but the lighting will be awesome compared to most pro boxing shows. I do quite a bit of it. 7d is great came to use on the night. The 24mm may not be quite as wide as you would like but bar knockdown shots you have a perfect set up there. Fast cam with good iso capabilty and 2 awesome lenses (bring the 70-200 if u can to get close ups).
    Flash is a no no for shooting the action but you can use away for shots outside the ring or announcing the decision.
    Dont forgot wipes to clean away blood and sweat from your glass and gear and self (seriously) loads and loads of batteries and memory cards. And most importantly.... snacks :)
    The night goes so fast and nothing worse than shooting under brigh lights gasping for a drink or a sandwich lol. Sometimes ya just cant nip out, depends on how the show is ran.

Brillant thanks Joe knew there would be someone on here to help :)

Seriously wipes for blood and sweat, omg just slightly different to the rugby.

From what I am hearing it is going to be quite a long evening, wouldn't have thought of a drink or snack in the bag.

Looking forward to it now even if I am a little nervous trying something new and not knowing the protocol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I did a few ametuer fights. I found them really difficult as it was really low light but I pushed myself doing it and covered a few before I started charging fir my work, even before I did weddings as I wanted to be able to manage my camera in the worst possible conditions.

If you have great lighting you won't need to worry about difficulty though! What I found helped to get the money shot was framing for it before it happened and following the action, then continuous as it happened, although it took a few attempts as I know nothing about boxing so maybe watch a few fights on tv to prepare yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I shot in the National Stadium at a Televised night last year and was almost in the ring, so much so that I spent a good portion of the night wiping Sweat and at one stage blood of myself and the camera, I used a 85mm prime on a full frame camera, i have attached a few pictures:

And the full set is here
    4357267168_1f00626020_z.jpg
    Anthony FitzgeraldVCiaranHealy13020824 by fergus.mcnally, on Flickr

4357483476_b60692e808_z.jpg
    Andy Murray V Oisin Fagan 13020829 by fergus.mcnally, on Flickr

4357251802_3846fe5e99_z.jpg
    Anthony FitzgeraldVCiaranHealy13020814 by fergus.mcnally, on Flickr

4356780189_123377aa9a_z.jpg
    Patrick Hyland V Mickey Coveney13020825 by fergus.mcnally, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

That second shot is an absolute cracker!

Thanks guys, cracking set of shots.
    Looking forward to Saturday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Great shots there dodgykepper, must do a few boxing events myself just for the experience, for me anyway the best boxing photo would be the moment the gumshield leaves the mouth on impact from a punch:)good luck op hope it goes well for you!!

Thanks looking forward to it, even if I am a little nervous about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've just been roped in to photographing a charity boxing event. I'll be covering the PR shots and training, but unfortunately will be out of the country for the main event, Thurs 5th May, 7pm, Stillorgan Park Hotel. It's "Clash of the Telecom Titans", white collar boxing. :D

All money made goes to MS Ireland and Autism Ireland, so it's a good event.

Just organised accred for myself for this so will see you there......

Some pics on my blog...

http://fmcphotos.wordpress.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Some pics on my blog...

http://fmcphotos.wordpress.com/

Nice photos - especially as you'd less than 4 minutes to get some of the Casey fight!

I'd a feeling he was gonna get hammered. Didn't think it would be over that fast though. I was watching a film when the fight started & switched over to RTE to see what I thought would be the second round & it was all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I like this one of Katy Taylor....

katie-taylor02190311.jpg?w=648

She looks quite hot there. Shame about the voice though - she has the most monotone voice I've ever heard!

• Advertisement
Advertisement