Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest iPad data plan - PAYG

• 16-03-2011 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Am I correct in thinking a real PAYG option for IPad doesn't exist in this country? By pay as you go I mean you top up when required and , most importantly, the credit does not expire. You use your allowance (say 1gig) and if it takes you 2weeks, 2 days or 2years to use it up, that's fine.

From what I've read the above doesn't exist - which is highly annoying but anyway.

Given that, what's the best value plan available on any carrier - including possibly cutting down a full size sim to a micro-sim if necessary.

I think it's three.ie but figured I'd ask here to be positive.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

chabsey wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking a real PAYG option for IPad doesn't exist in this country? By pay as you go I mean you top up when required and , most importantly, the credit does not expire. You use your allowance (say 1gig) and if it takes you 2weeks, 2 days or 2years to use it up, that's fine.

From what I've read the above doesn't exist - which is highly annoying but anyway.

Given that, what's the best value plan available on any carrier - including possibly cutting down a full size sim to a micro-sim if necessary.

I think it's three.ie but figured I'd ask here to be positive.

Thanks!

Does anyone, anywhere, offer such a plan? All data is time-limited as far as I know. I think 3 UK's is good for 3 months, which is unusual.

The best plan for Ireland is 3 Italy, which unfortunately has to be sourced and topped up via a contact over there. It's not impossible but tricky. Failing that, the best plan is then that of 3 Ireland, where 5€ will get you 500mb. 3 Italy will give you 6 times that for the same price but there you go.

There is no need to cut down the SIM, a microSIM will be supplied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Hmm...that's unfortunate if it's the case, not surprising though as it's another instance of the mobile providers creating a false expiry on something that doesn't expire. I remember when PAYG phone credit used to be the same but that was ditched after a few years, presumably due to competition. Hopefully the same happens with data.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Three it is.

culabula wrote: »
    Failing that, the best plan is then that of 3 Ireland, where 5€ will get you 500mb. 3 Italy will give you 6 times that for the same price but there you go.

There is no need to cut down the SIM, a microSIM will be supplied.

Sorry to be moronic, I've checked the three.ie site to no avail, anyone care to point me in the direct of that 500meg plan? thanks.

chabsey wrote: »
    Sorry to be moronic, I've checked the three.ie site to no avail, anyone care to point me in the direct of that 500meg plan? thanks.

You just get a PAYG microSIM, top it up, then buy an add-on for 5€ for 500mb data. You can buy several and queue them, and each will be used in turn, seamlessly.

You just get a PAYG microSIM, top it up, then buy an add-on for 5€ for 500mb data. You can buy several and queue them, and each will be used in turn, seamlessly.

Excellent, thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Tesco Ireland are giving 1GB 30-days for €6.99:

http://www.tescomobile.ie/MoneySavingBundles.aspx#tab3

Free 3G SIMS order on-line:

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/international.aspx

Tesco Ireland are giving 1GB 30-days for €6.99:

http://www.tescomobile.ie/MoneySavingBundles.aspx#tab3

Free 3G SIMS order on-line:

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/international.aspx

Hmm. ROI only. Used to say "island of Ireland".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

That was an error previously. We don't have data roaming yet. If you need a microsin then just call Tesco Mobile customer care on 0894200000 Regards Paul

Just to add that Tesco Mobile data bundles can be stacked. That is you can buy another before the first one runs out and both your remaining allowance and expiry date will be extended. If you bought three €6.99 bundles you would have 3GB allowance for 90 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Is the Three BB you refer called "3Pay"?

29blh5z.jpg

from here

I don't see the 500MB/30days/5€ product??

It actually looks like 1GB/30days/€15 is the closest to what you describe??

Perhaps I am missing something?

I still think the Tesco offering is worth looking at, for the 1GB/30days/€6.99, which can/could be renewed before expiry to extend usage??

• Advertisement

That was an error previously. We don't have data roaming yet. If you need a microsin then just call Tesco Mobile customer care on 0894200000 Regards Paul

Makes sense.

As for sin, mine are usually major :D

Is the Three BB you refer called "3Pay"?

29blh5z.jpg

from here

I don't see the 500MB/30days/5€ product??

It actually looks like 1GB/30days/€15 is the closest to what you describe??

Perhaps I am missing something?

I still think the Tesco offering is worth looking at, for the 1GB/30days/€6.99, which can/could be renewed before expiry to extend usage??

No, this is nothing to do with it. You simply get a straightforward PAYG voice SIM, then use 5€ of whatever credit you apply towards a 500mb add-on.

Clearly, the Tesco mobile offer, combined with one of their international SIMs, looks like the veritable bees' knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thin White Duck

Just so I understand this right, once you've got the micro-sim you keep topping it up a €5 a pop?

The sim comes with 30 days 100mb on it iirc - is there any expiry time on the €5 top-ups?

Just so I understand this right, once you've got the micro-sim you keep topping it up a €5 a pop?

The sim comes with 30 days 100mb on it iirc - is there any expiry time on the €5 top-ups?

You will have to top it up by 10€ each time, 5 of which may then be turned into the 500mb add-on. Or you could buy two and queue them.

Each add-on lasts a month.

http://three.ie/products_services/priceplans/prepay/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

can a 3 uk sim be bought online and used over here?

for example this (i know this one is dear but they can be bought cheaper on amazon):
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/THREE-3GB-PAYG-SIM-CARD-USE-TRAVELLING-UK-/270668121807?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item3f0513c6cf

can a 3 uk sim be bought online and used over here?

for example this (i know this one is dear but they can be bought cheaper on amazon):
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/THREE-3GB-PAYG-SIM-CARD-USE-TRAVELLING-UK-/270668121807?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item3f0513c6cf

Of course, but for what reason?

just seems like good value, 3gb for 3 month for about 9 euro (unless i'm being blind and missing something!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B003Z0T3X2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

was just wondering would there be issues activating the card for use over here if you were ordering from amazon and get it shipped here.

Buy 4 off amazon to get free shipping and you more or less have 3g for a year for about 36 euros and 1gb to use every month.

just seems like good value, 3gb for 3 month for about 9 euro (unless i'm being blind and missing something!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B003Z0T3X2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

was just wondering would there be issues activating the card for use over here if you were ordering from amazon and get it shipped here.

Buy 4 off amazon to get free shipping and you more or less have 3g for a year for about 36 euros and 1gb to use every month.

I'm missing something.

Why do you want to use this foreign data SIM over here? Your credit will be gone in minutes and it will cost you a fortune.
    Just get an Irish 3 SIM.

You posted before about using a 3 Italy sim here and it only costing 5 euro or so for 3gb.

I assumed the same could be done by getting a 3 uk sim and using it here, as it seems like the irish 3 sim can be used in the uk at no extra cost.

I just thought using up the allowance on the sim card would make no difference whether it was done in the uk or it was done in Ireland. And that when the 3gb was used up then you could no longer use the sim and so would just use another one.

do 3 uk not allow this?

edit: ignore, i just saw this thread when googling :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71411255

You posted before about using a 3 Italy sim here and it only costing 5 euro or so for 3gb.

I assumed the same could be done by getting a 3 uk sim and using it here, as it seems like the irish 3 sim can be used in the uk at no extra cost.

I just thought using up the allowance on the sim card would make no difference whether it was done in the uk or it was done in Ireland. And that when the 3gb was used up then you could no longer use the sim and so would just use another one.

do 3 uk not allow this?

edit: ignore, i just saw this thread when googling :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71411255

No, 3 UK does not offer 3 Like Home to ITS subscribers -if they did, there would be no need to go to the lengths required to procure a Tre.it SIM. Why not google eBay for that instead?

• Advertisement

ye was trying to get a tre sim before but had no luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hijack your post.

I'm interested in getting a standalone data sim. Just wondering is there a 12 month contract attached?

I would assume there's not because the network aren't subsidising a phone or anything.. but then again we are in Ireland! :D

Thanks.

techguy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to hijack your post.

I'm interested in getting a standalone data sim. Just wondering is there a 12 month contract attached?

I would assume there's not because the network aren't subsidising a phone or anything.. but then again we are in Ireland! :D

Thanks.

This is what we are discussing. There are many options from all the networks, details on their respective pages.

You can get data on either PAYG or a rolling 30-day contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Just curious as to how other people find the '3' prepay service...

I've been using my iPad2 with 3 for a week now and I'm a bit disappointed with the speeds on 3G. Everywhere I've been so far; Wexford, Waterford & Cork I've only been able to get speeds of about 1MBit download max. Upload will go up to 1.5 most of the time. Is the 3 network this congested? I usually see about 4 or 5MBit on Vodafone in the same areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Again to all, apologies for a slight diversion in the thread.

I have an iPad2 3G but haven't used the cellular bit yet. I have Vodafone sim in it and the girl in the shop said it would work for the €3.99 per day jobbie..

I just want to check the settings on the ipad?

The apn is hs.vodafone.ie but the username and password are blank. Is this correct? I don't want to try it without getting charged unnecessarily, hence the question.

Many thanks in advance.

tallpaul wrote: »
    Again to all, apologies for a slight diversion in the thread.

I have an iPad2 3G but haven't used the cellular bit yet. I have Vodafone sim in it and the girl in the shop said it would work for the €3.99 per day jobbie..

I just want to check the settings on the ipad?

The apn is hs.vodafone.ie but the username and password are blank. Is this correct? I don't want to try it without getting charged unnecessarily, hence the question.

Many thanks in advance.

I seem to recall it was dublin and dublin, but you know, just go ahead and try. It wont make any difference unless it doesn't work without passwords. Most providers don't require them.

how do you sign up for tesco mobile web surf bundles if u have a 3g ipad but not a 3g phone?

Any phone will do if you get a microsim adapter. You can stack bundles so you could buy 4 or 5 together to limit how many times you have to do this. We are looking to add a feature to My Tesco Mobile on the web to allow you to add a bundle from there. Regards Paul

can the double your credit be used for web surf bundles?

Like can i top up by 50, get 50 bonus credit free, and then be able to buy 12 of the 7 euro web surf bundles?

• Advertisement

No you can only buy bundles with paid for credit but data outside bundle can come from bonus credit so you could run down your bonus credit before buying your bundles as bonus credit gets used first and it has an expiry of 30 days.

Advertisement