Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest iPad data plan - PAYG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Hi Paul, is it true that you need to send an sms from the device in order to get a bundle? I called your help line and they said they didn't think it was possible to order the bundle without taking out the microsim, putting it into a microsim phone, sending a text and returning the card to the iPad.

Also, is the microsim available from the website? I couldn't find it, so I went and €2.50 for a full size sim and crudely cut it to size. Is it easy to get a real microsim and transfer my credit/bundle over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Hi Acous, at the moment you have to order the bundles from a phone as mentioned earlier. You need to call customer care to order the Microsim. Regards Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Thanks for the reply. I guess it goes without saying, but the option to add a bundle via the web interface would be highly desirable for ipad users. The option to check your remaining transfer bandwidth would be great too. Edit: I see you are planning to add the feature to My Tesco Mobile, this would be fantastic.

In the mean time, would I be right in thinking that adding 12 bundles now would grant me 12GB transfer any time in the next 360 days?

acous wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I guess it goes without saying, but the option to add a bundle via the web interface would be highly desirable for ipad users. The option to check your remaining transfer bandwidth would be great too. Edit: I see you are planning to add the feature to My Tesco Mobile, this would be fantastic.

In the mean time, would I be right in thinking that adding 12 bundles now would grant me 12GB transfer any time in the next 360 days?

Yes, we are looking to add a web option for adding a data bundle. You can already check your remaining data allowance online. I think it's in KB.

Yes, you are correct if you buy 12*30 day bundles for 6.99 ea you will have 1 big bundle with 12GB allowance for 360 days.

Regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Yes, we are looking to add a web option for adding a data bundle.

Any update on this Paul?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Mick F

Just to add that Tesco Mobile data bundles can be stacked. That is you can buy another before the first one runs out and both your remaining allowance and expiry date will be extended. If you bought three €6.99 bundles you would have 3GB allowance for 90 days
    Yes, you are correct if you buy 12*30 day bundles for 6.99 ea you will have 1 big bundle with 12GB allowance for 360 days.

Hi Paul,

I called CS to order a microsim today but I was told that if I buy a number of bundles together it will only increase the allowance, and NOT the time, e.g. if I buy three bundles I will get a 3GB allowance which must be used within 30 days or it expires.

Can you clarify?

Mick F wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

I called CS to order a microsim today but I was told that if I buy a number of bundles together it will only increase the allowance, and NOT the time, e.g. if I buy three bundles I will get a 3GB allowance which must be used within 30 days or it expires.

Can you clarify?

Hi Mick,

Customer care got this one wrong - I will have a word.

Both the allowance and time are extended as long as you purchase before the next bundle before the first has expired.

So if you purchase 3 * 30 day bundles together you have 3GB for 90 days.

regards
    Paul

cork45 wrote: »
    Any update on this Paul?

Hi cork45,

it will be towards the end of the year I am afraid.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

Hi Paul, any headway with the iPad micro sim. Can they be ordered and topped up online yet?

Hi Paul, any headway with the iPad micro sim. Can they be ordered and topped up online yet?

I expect to have a solution on this in the next 3-4 weeks

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement

regards
    Paul

Cheers Paul, sure let us know on here when you have some news.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bookleen

regards
    Paul

Hi, I have a new iPad and would like to know how to order the microsim and data bundles from tesco.

Bookleen wrote: »
    Hi, I have a new iPad and would like to know how to order the microsim and data bundles from tesco.

Hi there

You can order a microsim from customer care here

http://www.tescomobile.ie/contact-us.aspx

Currently we can only buy bundles via text but in the next few weeks we are adding optional recurring data bundles to both PAYG and Pay Monthly which will allow you to opt into the bundle online or by text.

When this is launched it will be ideal for iPad users.

regards
    Paul

Right Paul, Its time Tesco Mobile got their finger out and sorted the online Topups, buying microsims through the website and being able to keep track of accounts online.
    This is not a personal attack on you, but surely Tesco Mobile realise they're loosing out on a big slice of the Ipad market by not moving with the times. A lot of ipad users want to be able to have a cheap PAYG deal so they can go online when and where they want, which Tesco Mobile do offer but they just don't make it very easy for people to avail of this service.
    Sorry to rant but maybe you can pass on the message to the big boys to get moving on this :mad:

Right Paul, Its time Tesco Mobile got their finger out and sorted the online Topups, buying microsims through the website and being able to keep track of accounts online.
    This is not a personal attack on you, but surely Tesco Mobile realise they're loosing out on a big slice of the Ipad market by not moving with the times. A lot of ipad users want to be able to have a cheap PAYG deal so they can go online when and where they want, which Tesco Mobile do offer but they just don't make it very easy for people to avail of this service.
    Sorry to rant but maybe you can pass on the message to the big boys to get moving on this :mad:

Its coming soon..we are working on it

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭JasonRyan

Hi there Tesco Paul,

any updates on the ipad plans?

JasonRyan wrote: »
    Hi there Tesco Paul,

any updates on the ipad plans?

We have recurring bundle options coming round early June that will solve this requirement as you will be able to opt in online.

Regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

If only Aldi or Lidl, did sim cards, you wouldnt be hanging around:D

Hi there Tesco Paul,

any updates on the ipad plans, since your last update?

JasonRyan wrote: »
    Hi there Tesco Paul,

any updates on the ipad plans, since your last update?

We have had a few delays with this but its not far off now - maybe 2-3 weeks.

You will be able to buy a PAYG Sim and then optin to a recurring data bundle online.

Apologies for the delay on this

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Quest

Hi Paul - Have just ordered a microsim for iPad via the customer care link you gave above. Has the top-up online facility for iPad kicked in yet and either way, what do I need to do to order a PAYG data bundle?

Thanks!

Hi Tesco Paul,

any updates.....?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Story?

sorry, only saw this now.

Yes, you can now opt in to recurring prepaid data bundles online once registered so all is in place to use our sims in non phone based tablets like iPad.

Note instructions say you can optin by text but you can also optin online

http://www.tescomobile.ie/add-ons.aspx

regards
    Paul

sorry, only saw this now.

Yes, you can now opt in to recurring prepaid data bundles online once registered so all is in place to use our sims in non phone based tablets like iPad.

Note instructions say you can optin by text but you can also optin online

http://www.tescomobile.ie/add-ons.aspx

regards
    Paul
    I've never used PAYG before as I've always had a billpay phone - not Tesco. This will explain the stupid question

I want to get the PAYG service on my iPad, so I'd appreciate if you'd tell me from scratch how to go about it. I'd probably go for 1GB.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What are data speeds and coverage like from tesco mobile?

europhile wrote: »
    I've never used PAYG before as I've always had a billpay phone - not Tesco. This will explain the stupid question

I want to get the PAYG service on my iPad, so I'd appreciate if you'd tell me from scratch how to go about it. I'd probably go for 1GB.

Many thanks.

OK no problem. Note this is not a custom iPad product but our standard PAYG sim. We have simply launched recurring data bundles that do not require you to sign up by text anymore. We will likely do a more customised data bundle for iPad in coming months.

1. Order a microsim from Customer Care here http://www.tescomobile.ie/contact-us.aspx
    2. Register it at http://www.tescomobile.ie (you will need to receive an SMS to get registered so sim will need to go in a phone for this step - once off)

3. Topup online once logged in using credit/debit card or Paypal

4. Optin to recurring data bundle online. Payment will be taken for month 1.

5. Each month on anniversary date bundle will be refreshed and purchased again from balance (topup before hand as necessary).

- If no balance available then you will be opted out and you can opt in again when balance is there.

- You can opt out at any time online. Opt out means that the bundle will not be refreshed next month.

- Only 1 bundle option presently, 1GB for €6.99 per month. stacking not possible on recurring bundles i.e. you cant buy 2GB for €12.98 per month

- Adhoc data bundle is still available but you cannot have both adhoc and recurring bundle active at once. You can stack adhoc bundles i.e. you can buy 2 €6.99 adhoc bundles to give you 2GB for next 60 days. You cannot buy adhoc bundle online, only by text by texting data to 174211.

regards
    Paul

Wondering if I'm doing something stupied. Am trying to register but have not received the SMS message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

europhile wrote: »
    Wondering if I'm doing something stupied. Am trying to register but have not received the SMS message.

And you have put the SIM in a handset for this stage?

• Advertisement

Indeed. I put it into an old iPhone unlocked it with Pin Code 1. Why two pin codes, by the way. It's picking up my home wifi. Puzzled.

Advertisement