Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading eircom package temporarily?!

• 16-03-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Does anyone know if you can upgrade your eircom package for a few months.
    I'm living with my parents at the minute and about to do an online course, where really I would need unlimited broadband for streaming etc.

They currently have the 10gb a month which seems to go in no time and I nearly fainted when I got the bill (I agreed to pay since I'm really the only one using it!) I had used 34gb and they charged over €50 (inc tax)

I rang up when I got the bill and complained, I honestly thought that when you went over a certain amount your connection would be slowed down..

No email warning.. no letter to let you know that they do this.
    The guy I spoke to was annoyed that I was annoyed and spoke to me like I was mentally inept.. I got no where!

So I was thinking of getting the unlimited for a while but I'm not sure if you have to get a 12month contract.

They only have freephone no's at the moment and I'm using skype so can't call and ask 'til I get my new landline next week.

Anyone clued up on this?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eeme wrote: »
    The guy I spoke to was annoyed that I was annoyed and spoke to me like I was mentally inept.. I got no where!

When you signed up you agreed to a 10GB cap, and to being charged for going over it. It's in their FAQ and T&Cs of the contract. If you didn't read it, understand it, or care, then inept is probably the correct word. They don't hide this information from people, people just never bother to read it until they get the bill.

As for a temporary increase in your cap, no, they won't do that. Any change will result in a new minimum term contract period, which is generally 12 months.

If you've used 34GB in a month before you even do this online training course, then you are definitely going to need a larger cap when you start. Packages with around 10GB cap are intended for the lightest of Internet users, and not for anyone that's going to regularly stream video content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

eeme wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can upgrade your eircom package for a few months.
    I'm living with my parents at the minute and about to do an online course, where really I would need unlimited broadband for streaming etc.

They currently have the 10gb a month which seems to go in no time and I nearly fainted when I got the bill (I agreed to pay since I'm really the only one using it!) I had used 34gb and they charged over €50 (inc tax)

I rang up when I got the bill and complained, I honestly thought that when you went over a certain amount your connection would be slowed down..

No email warning.. no letter to let you know that they do this.

So I was thinking of getting the unlimited for a while but I'm not sure if you have to get a 12month contract.

They only have freephone no's at the moment and I'm using skype so can't call and ask 'til I get my new landline next week.

Anyone clued up on this?!

In fairness you cannot expect eircom to to tell every person that uses an established line that there is a limit. That would be your parents responsibility. Thats human nature with regards the guy on the phone, if you were nice to the agent you would have gotten somewhere :P.

You do have to get a 12 month contract but you can downgrade at anytime to a lower speed for the price of 25 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You do have to get a 12 month contract but you can downgrade at anytime to a lower speed for the price of 25 euro.

If you chose to downgrade (by paying) the new term would still be in force, so you would have to keep the broadband active for the 12 months after the upgrade, or pay to end it early (by paying out the remainder of the contract).

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cscook

If you do upgrade, I'm not sure that your folks will ever be able to downgrade to that particular bundle. Unless it's well hidden I don't think they offer it any more. But I do know that when my aunt switched from that 10GB per month to whatever bundled deal they offered her at the time, it genuinely did work out cheaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Eircom is your worst bet for big download allowance (this excludes that you can't get "real" unlimited but UPC (100/250GB usually depending on packet) or Magnet is your best bet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Switch to Vodafone. Much bigger download allowance for less money.

Advertisement