Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running is real and relatively simple...but it ain't easy

Options
  • 16-03-2011 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

So I decided to start a running log – purely on the grounds that now I will feel compelled to keep running and updating this log. I have been running (purely as a means to get fit and lose the belly) on and off for circa 2 years now, my focus is now firmly on completing my first marathon.

I am helped by the fact that I am in a new country and city (Toronto) so what better way to see the city than pounding the streets. So here goes the start of documenting my highs and lows.

Sunday 13th I did the Achilles St. Patrick's Day 5K – My time was a respectable 21:57 (What an unnatural distance to run, being my first 5k I found it uncomfortable)

Monday 14th: I took Monday off due to having a few (Irish few;)) post race drinks

Tuesday 15th: I clocked up 15 miles in a time of 2:02:15, the weather was cracking and the legs felt good.

Wednesday: I’ll take a break today as the legs are somewhat heavy after yesterdays exploits, probably hit the gym and do some light work this evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

All the best Phonehead, looking forward to following your progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Thanks Killerz;)

Well today is Paddys day (or Patty's day as they say over here:confused:) I woke up this morning with the full intention of doing a nice comfortable 10 miles. My usual routine during runs is to listen to some podcasts, however good old Apple decided to update my Itouch and wipe my podcasts:eek:(everytime Mr Jobs releases an update he targets me - somebody point me in the direction of the Conspiracy theories forum;))

So I switched on the old music and listened to some Florence and the Machine, anyone familiar with their albums will know that it is nigh on impossible to do a comfortable run with such kicking tunes.

Thanks to Florence I managed my 10 miles in 1:15:32

Right, off for some beers to celebrate all things Paddy

Yesterday was a nice 10 mile run with Mrs. Phonehead, first time we have ran together for over 9 months (due mainly to the fact that she is a sub 3:30 Marathon runner and almost had me in the hospital last time we went for a run, I think I faked an injury after 13 miles;))

10.25 miles in 1:26:01 with an average pace of 8.24, which wouldn't be far off the pace I would want to run the marathon in as it should bring me in or around the 3:45 mark.

The run was comfortable but my ankle is starting to get soar every now and then but no major concerns just yet. I really need to start training myself to take on food and water during runs as I really do fall down in this department - when I get thirsty I can't just take a sup I want the entire bottle:rolleyes:

Mrs Phonehead is struggling with an injury but in a strange way it really gave me such motivation yesterday as she hobbled the last 5 miles, If it were me I would have hailed a taxi but that dedication really hammered home just what needs to be done if you want to be a marathon runner. (Pure Madness or dedication:D)

I really should go out again today as I have to stop this day on day off thing and start doing consecutive days to build up both the physical and mental strength to tackle the marathon.

That's convinced me, I'll do 5 miles or so this evening:)

This week has been hindered by the weather but I still managed to clock up some miles

Monday started with a 14 miler in 1:57:06
    Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday we had snow so like the coward I am! I stayed inside looking out depressed;) I did some gym work and swimming during these days and even banged out a 6 mile dreadmill run on the Wednesday (No idea the time/pace whether I was breathing or if the dreadmill was switched on or if I was standing still thinking I was running) I seriously hate those things.

Friday I braved the footpaths and got out for 12 miles in a time of 1:38:07 - my average 8:07mins a mile

Today I braved going out with Mrs Phonehead (last time that will happen:D:D) I think she is getting back to fitness;) and having a someone who runs at a training pace which is a good 20 or 30 seconds slower can lead to some funny looks (from both sides) - todays run was 13.3 miles in 1:51:08, we had some big hills in this which impacted the time as the pace was generally faster for the most part than the 8:22 mins a mile my Garmin suggests.

This weeks totals

39:45 miles + 6 miles on the dreadmill

I am one very tired individual as I write this. This week I really stepped it up as it was make my mind week, if I could do an 18 miler without needing medical assistance I am signing up for the Toronto Marathon in May. Well D arrived and is now nearly over and yet I am still here to write this. Yes you guessed it survived my 18 miles and will sign up tomorrow for the Marathon.

Schedule this week:

Monday: Rest day
    Tuesday: 12.09 miles in 1:38:11
    Wednesday: 6:03 miles in 47:31
    Thursday: Rest day
    Friday: 9:31 miles in 1:14:33
    Saturday: Rest day, however I did go out to the Harry’s Spring Run and witnessed a 13 year girl win the female 5k in 19 minutes:eek:
    Sunday: With my new orange running sunglasses (I couldn’t resist the flamboyant colours) I set out along Lake Ontario to do my longest ever run. I also ditched the Camelbak for a water belt (super decision). I also brought some gels with me to try them out, everything was very comfortable and at mile 11 I decided to pop a gel – by mile 12 I was getting cramps and this gel was not agreeing with me, however by mile 14 my stomach settled all was good with the world. Mile 16 my body started to ask questions and got a bit surprised when I continued running on however I was able to push myself on and finish my 18 miles in a time of 2:33:55 (Avg of 8:31 min miles which is around my marathon pace) I made a conscious decision also to have my 18 miles finish around 2 miles from home as I am a terrible person for stretching and cooling down – I normally finish my run at the door, fall into the lift and fall into the shower with no cool down routine. For the 2 miles I walked, stretched and also jogged at a slow pace back to the Apartment which I think really made a difference both mentally and physically.

Random Comment: I have also discovered Marathon Talk podcast which is really great for those long runs as it’s both entertaining and educational. I am starting from podcast 1 so I still have another 60 or so podcasts left to listen to.

This weeks Total 45.51 miles

• Advertisement
Advertisement