Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

** Chain World **

• 16-03-2011 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

medium_mine2.jpg

LINK

In Minecraft, there are no lives. If you die, you're dead, the only consolation being that in your next life you can backtrack and pick up all the gear off your previous life's corpse. This version of the game, however, does away with even that luxury.

It's called Chain World, the creation of indie game developer Jason Rohrer. It's a Minecraft world that lives not on a server but on a USB stick, and includes a special script that makes the game a decidedly temporary affair.

When you load it up, it plays like any other game of Minecraft. The trick here comes when you inevitably die. Whether you're killed by a monster or just fall to your death, the script wipes the save game from your PC but maintains the changes you made to that world on the USB stick.

You then pass the USB stick onto someone else, who is starting up a life in a world that's been moulded and shaped by the people who have played it before them. Chain World even comes with its own set of commandments governing its use:

1. Run Chain World via one of the included "run_ChainWorld" launchers.
    2. Start a single-player game and pick "Chain World".
    3. Play until you die exactly once.
    3a. Erecting wooden signs with text is forbidden
    3b. Suicide is permissible.
    4. Immediately after dying and respawning, quit to the menu.
    5. Allow the world to save.
    6. Exit the game and wait for your launcher to automatically copy Chain World back to the USB stick.
    7. Pass the USB stick to someone else who expresses interest.
    8. Never discuss what you saw or did in Chain World with anyone.
    9. Never play again.

Course, there's nothing forcing a player to follow them; since only one person has the game at any one time, they could make their own rules, only for the next person after that to ignore the both of them.

So, question is... If I create one, who'd be up for doing it? We can record our stages of progression :)

And we could upload it and link to the world instead of passing the USBN key around if needed :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

i'm up for it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Seen that yesterday, sounds like a larf. Wouldn't mind posting a USB key around tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

seems cool...
    Tallon wrote: »
    We can record our stages of progression :)

rule 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Korvanica wrote: »
    rule 8

Last sentance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

haha i read

"And we could upload it and link to the world instead of passing the USBN key around if needed "

about 5 times before i realised you meant the other last sentence.... :pac:

class idea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I'd be up for it!

Sounds like a laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

What an idea, this seems a laugh.

The first thing i taught of after reading that was,mmm to be a c*nt i could dig down and find lava. Then dig all around me so there is just one block for the next person to stand on, making sure they have nothing lol.

Move one step = dead :P

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdn3HvXGoB-vuSrx9lFrfqluPFXABtBU0IgVhwoodkMO6Hm51bBQ

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

Yeah I'd be up for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FunkyTowner

I'm definitely up for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

brill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Sounds class. Be a class way of seeing what everyone else does outside of SMP. And then booby-trapping everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Yep. I'd be up for it.

On an unrelated note, I'll ensure you can all have cake when I'm finished :pac:

EDIT: As long as it's not booby trapped 20 blocks each way from spawn, then I'm game

also the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Sounds good to me. Plus maybe I can be wretched away from playing multiplayer to jump back onto single :pac:

Of course the link to download it would be kept secret, aside from the person you end up passing it on to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

I'd be up for that :)
    Will need to draw up a roster of who'll be after who

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rossgorry

Definitely be up for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

If this is still on, I'd be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Red leader reporting in! I'm in!

Advertisement