Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasses Online?

• 16-03-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone on here would buy or has bought eyeglasses/sunglasses online? You can get them for a fraction of the price but you wont be able to try them on to ensure the right fit etc etc

Anyway just looking for peoples opinions and experiences.

Would you buy prescription glasses online? 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I bought frames which didn't suit me as I thought they would and it turned out my prescription wouldn't suit them. So in future i'd rather speak to my optician, which is what I did and I'm very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I bought mine online, perfectly fine tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I'd only buy glasses online if I'd tried them on in a shop first and knew they'd suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

I bought mine online, perfectly fine tbh.

Where did you get them? Do they have return policies if you dont like them/they dont fit etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've bought glasses for my whole family from zennioptical.com and they were perfect, I've never had to return them though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

phasers wrote: »
    I've bought glasses for my whole family from zennioptical.com and they were perfect, I've never had to return them though.
    There's some really pretty frames on that site! If only my prescription wasn't so awkward -__-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There's some really pretty frames on that site! If only my prescription wasn't so awkward -__-
    Other boardsies have used goggles4u and said it's been great, best thing about them is you scan your prescription in and they sort it out for you! I'll try to dig up te thread where others have used it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056066650&highlight=goggles4u

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055562609&highlight=goggles4u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

+1 for zennioptical.

Ive found the glasses to be better quality than specsavers as well. Just measure the width of your current glasses carefully to ensure they fit your head right. I usually order a few pairs as well (if they are the $10 ones) as I find I usually order one pair that may not suit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

phasers wrote: »

Hey Phasers,
    I've checked out this site and looks the business. Did you get stuck for VAT on the way in? Looks like a U.S. site.
    (hoping you still have account 5 yrs later!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Hi I have used Zennioptical several times and found them good. I also have ordered designer frames and prescription high end lenses from smartbuyglasses and found them excellent must cheaper that Ireland. I think both ship from and manufacture in China. I have never had any vat issues but I don't think there is vat on glasses anyway. I have also found Smartbuyglasses customer care very good. Shipping is usually 2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Very few frames suit me. Considering it's something I am wearing every day I have no problem spending a bit more on. Glasses are kne of few things I wouldn't buy online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I've bought two pairs of optical frames from secretsales.com and gotten my optician to put frames into them. I didn't have an issue with either pair so I've never had to return them. Can't imagine it'd be that big a deal if I did though.

I've been buying the same pair of glasses from Zenni Optical for years - they are approx $12 and I shell out the extra fiver or so for the non reflective coating.

My tips would be to really focus on the measurements - measure a pair of glasses that suit you well - I've bought pairs before that were too loose and too tight so pure disaster.

The glasses I wear have a kind of plastic overlay coating with a tortiseshell design and this can go a bit crappy after a year or so - like frayed clingfilm on the handles iykwim. For the price though I'm happy to buy a few pairs together and replace if they go crap. I get two pairs for 30e including delivery and non reflective coating.

Its well worth it if you find a pair that suits you - I bought a pair of ralph lauren ones but ended up going back to the zenni optical ones!

I was thinking of getting varifocal which will work out 130, 140. But that's less than half the price quoted in optician here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is the non reflective coating on zenniooptical good?
    I hear it's better getting it in the optician just for the nonreflective coating being better.

Is the non reflective coating on zenniooptical good?
    I hear it's better getting it in the optician just for the nonreflective coating being better.

I've never had a problem with it - its only $5 or something as opposed to 30 or something in Specsavers (not exact figures) - you really notice the difference in photos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 CassieLyons

I purchased my sunglasses online and then had my eye doctor put the lens in. It ended up being a little cheaper and exactly what I wanted instead of having to settle. However, I wouldn't buy already prescription filled glasses online..too high of a risk for a mess up or them being damaged.

cram1971 wrote: »
    Hi I have used Zennioptical several times and found them good. I also have ordered designer frames and prescription high end lenses from smartbuyglasses and found them excellent must cheaper that Ireland. I think both ship from and manufacture in China. I have never had any vat issues but I don't think there is vat on glasses anyway. I have also found Smartbuyglasses customer care very good. Shipping is usually 2-3 weeks.

I've ordered glasses from Zennifocal - 4 weeks ago now. Took 2 weeks to ship & 2 weeks later still waiting. They sent them by standard post - so I assume that probably another 2 weeks to wait - from Hong Kong. Very disappointed - thought would of been airmail for 10 dollars shipping charge.

Got glasses after 5 weeks - 2 weeks to process order & 3 weeks shipping. Had to pay vat plus 7 Euros to customs which I hadn't expected. Still saved approx 150 Euros from Specsavers quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Got glasses after 5 weeks - 2 weeks to process order & 3 weeks shipping. Had to pay vat plus 7 Euros to customs which I hadn't expected. Still saved approx 150 Euros from Specsavers quote.

I have ordered about 10 pairs over the last 4 years and never had to pay, your seem unlucky.

Are you happy with them now they have arrived ?

• Advertisement

Standard pair are fine but the progressive lens pair are bigger than I anticipated. I've a strong prescription so the bigger lenses are a bit jam jar looking. Also the reading part ratio to standard part is too big. So wouldn't recommend the progressive lenses.

Advertisement