Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed-term contract query

Options
  • 16-03-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Since my fixed-term contract is nearing an end I decided to check up on the citizensinformation.ie page and came across this:
    When an employee is dismissed at the end of the contract the unfair dismissals legislation applies as normal unless the employer has availed of the provision to exclude the operation of the legislation. To avail of that provision, the employer must put the contract in writing. The employer must include a clause stating that the Unfair Dismissals Acts 1977–2007 will not apply where the only reason for ending the contract is the expiry of the fixed term, or the completion of the specified purpose. Both the employer and the employee must sign the contract.

I've been a contractor for three years but my last contract was signed in 2008 for just three months. Is this not a little bit unusual?

Also, am I entitled to redundancy in this case?

Advertisement