Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Trails over Galway

Options
  • 16-03-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I cant recall seeing as many jets passing over the City as I have seen so far today, at one stage I counted over 20 in an an hour somtimes 3 to 4 together and they are still coming. I had a look at some through binoculars and you could make out what airline they were from with the logo on the tail, British Airways, Virgin etc. Why so many today is it to do with the Jet Stream or what.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

WTF is all that about??????? They're really dosing us up with the aul chemtrails by the looks of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I can explain this.

If they are all eastbound the jetstream is right overhead and if all westbound it is to the north of us usually....sometimes the south.

If they are a mixture of both the jet stream is nowhere near us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭deeno1975

Take a look at this website, it gives details of planes over our air space and might identify a few of the planes. Not sure how accurate it is.

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

deeno1975 wrote: »
    Take a look at this website, it gives details of planes over our air space and might identify a few of the planes. Not sure how accurate it is.

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/

Thanks for the replies guys, I had this one on my PC and its actually spot on as they go overhead. As I recall deeno1975 your one is delayed by 15 minutes, brilliant to see them on the live radar.

http://www.flightradar24.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I always find I notice them more on the first few nice days of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I'd say that today there aren't any more than other days, it's just the exceptionally clear skies we are having means that they are more noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

On that link for flightradar24.com,how do you get it to show you planes in the U.S etc,it doesnt show any when i go over to there,great link btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Aiel wrote: »
    On that link for flightradar24.com,how do you get it to show you planes in the U.S etc,it doesnt show any when i go over to there,great link btw.

You cant as it is only showing what SBS users in Ireland/UK are picking up, you would have to be in America to pick up what American SBS Box/Users are picking up.

Radar Virtuel pickes up for ANY European SBS Box as it is based in Germany but it really slows the hell down out of your PC.

I'd say that today there aren't any more than other days, it's just the exceptionally clear skies we are having means that they are more noticeable.

There is your answer SPOT ON, 99% of all US/Transatlantic Bound Air Traffic pretty much goes over Ireland.

And yes there is "rush hour" times where you can see a ton of them within minutes of each other but what is to remember is that they are all at different altitudes and headings/spacinges etc and in contact with Shanwick OCA which is the Ballygirreen Radio Station, 6 miles North of Shannon Airport in County Clare, Ireland, and the Prestwick Centre in Ayrshire, Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Steyr wrote: »
    There is your answer SPOT ON, 99% of all US/Transatlantic Bound Air Traffic pretty much goes over Ireland.

And yes there is "rush hour" times where you can see a ton of them within minutes of each other but what is to remember is that they are all at different altitudes and headings/spacinges etc and in contact with Shanwick OCA which is the Ballygirreen Radio Station, 6 miles North of Shannon Airport in County Clare, Ireland, and the Prestwick Centre in Ayrshire, Scotland.

Closer to 75% actually.

And Ballygireen Radio isn't Shanwick OCA. Shanwick OCA is the name of the airspace which is controlled by NATS in the UK. The voice communications are the responsibility of Ballygireen, the separation between aircraft is done by Prestwick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Tin foils hats for everyone....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Steyr wrote: »
    kraggy wrote: »
    Closer to 75% actually.

From where ?

I would have thought 100% of all US/Transatlantic traffic originating in Ireland passes over Ireland. :rolleyes:

Lapin wrote: »
    From where ?

I would have thought 100% of all US/Transatlantic traffic originating in Ireland passes over Ireland. :rolleyes:

Don't know why you're doing the ridiculous roll-eyes thing.

Transatlantic traffic mean transatlantic traffic. i.e. any traffic that passes over the Atlantic. Therefore, the traffic could originate in Mexico, US, Canada and be going to Europe or vice versa.

Nobody said anything about originating in Ireland.

It's not that complicated.

Closer to 75% actually.

And Ballygireen Radio isn't Shanwick OCA. Shanwick OCA is the name of the airspace which is controlled by NATS in the UK. The voice communications are the responsibility of Ballygireen, the separation between aircraft is done by Prestwick.

I know. :) hence Shan-wick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Don't know why you're doing the ridiculous roll-eyes thing.

Transatlantic traffic mean transatlantic traffic. i.e. any traffic that passes over the Atlantic. Therefore, the traffic could originate in Mexico, US, Canada and be going to Europe or vice versa.

Nobody said anything about originating in Ireland.

It's not that complicated.

Lighten up FFS.

It didn't look any more busy than a clear summer's day.

I will admit to being a nerdy child who watched these things when bored.

Lighten up FFS.

I'm extremely light old chap!

No rolleyes from me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

here is a really good flight tracker site. Over on the left, the 4 tabs will give you the flight make and model, the carrier, destination and source etc
    http://casperflights.com/

Of Interest RE:SHANWICK-Canadian Air Force-enroute to start NO FLY Over Libya. Just contacting Shanwick.

Canadian Air Force flights Oceanic /w Shanwick OAC 2899.0 KHz, heard CFC0496, CFC3815, CFC3816

Canadian Air Force CFC3815 & CFC3816 are Airbus CC-150 Polaris Tankers, I presume formation flight /w 6 Hornets CF-18

CC-150:
    F2D6D2AD92D14ED99BA9F1FCEF32EB6A-0000336624-0002221648-00640L-4093E5EEDF9C4F75BA3E12E5F956DAE1.jpg

CF-18 Hornet:
    76C42BBC0488480DAFB53BE8BB95FA4C-0000336624-0002221656-00800L-F3E0240944FF4C7F9325647227D1778F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Lighten up FFS.

Step 1: Make snide comment with rolleyes.
    Step 2: Have stupidity pointed out by smarter person.
    Step 3: Admit your mistake.
    Step 3: Make another snide comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I'm relieved at the lack of chemtrails posts in this thread.

And yeah, simply a case of clearer skies and higher atmospheric pressure. The jet-exhaust tends to linger and spread out in a strangely beautiful way.

inb4environmentalists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I'm relieved at the lack of chemtrails posts in this thread.

Yeah, the green in Galway has been sub-par of late. :pac:

Advertisement