Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Alleged] attempted child abductions in Swords

Options
  • 16-03-2011 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all,

Not sure I am putting this in the right place but I wanted to get the word out to people. There have been 3 attempted child abductions in Rivervalley in Swords in the last few days.

The Gardai are aware and are watching the area but I have been looking online and I don't see it reported anywhere yet. The first attempt was on a young boy about 6-7 the second a young girl 7-8 on here way home from school and I have just been told their was another attempt on another girl coming from secondary school.

The schools have sent notes home to parents but I have spoken with two different parents who's kids forgot to give them the notes. I have noticed a few different young kids walking around the estate alone over the last few days so I am guessing that there are still a lot of parents who are unaware of what is happening.

I have heard that the police suspect that their is a paedophile ring operating in the area and also that there is currently 28 convicted paedophiles living in Rivervalley but I cannot confirm either of these statements so please feel free to correct me.

If I have posted in the wrong place or there is a more suitable forum please feel free to move this post but please anyone who reads this take heed and inform anyone in the Swords/Rivervalley area with children to be vigilant over the coming weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

A bit hysterical considering you have absolutely no proof of any of these incidents happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

hondasam wrote: »
    A bit hysterical considering you have absolutely no proof of any of these incidents happening.
    I do know parents around Drogheda were informed of something similar recently after two attempted incidents (see here).
    Don't know if they are related.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Do we need to have proof to believe the story? I'd prefer to be hysterical instead of sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

*waits for the story where some parents lost sight of their kid in Tescos followed shortly by security finding the child being changed into different clothes in the toilet by gypsies*

Taceom wrote: »
    Do we need to have proof to believe the story? I'd prefer to be hysterical instead of sorry.

I would like to think the gardai would make it public knowledge if it were true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

You might be better off posting this in the Parenting or Education forums.

In relation to the Gardai not immediately notifying the media or getting the word out to a larger audience, this is the norm. I work in child protection, so know personally of a number of paedophile rings that opperate in Dublin city and county, but this information is not made public. In fairness, paedophiles in Ireland very, very rarely target children outside of their familes or with whom they do not have some connection and, child abductions are extremely rare. I suspect they do not want mass hysteria or for people to start taking the law into their own hands.

I do not, naturally, believe that this makes it okay or necessary to cover it up either, but I think notifying parents in the area, via the schools is a good idea. The clearly need to do a better job of this however.

You might be better off asking your school to make a greater effort to contact parents, or you could see if you could volunteer your services and do so. The school may not be in a position to phone parents etc.

AH is probably not the best forum wither way.

Biggins wrote: »
    I do know parents around Drogheda were informed of something similar recently after two attempted incidents (see here).
    Don't know if they are related.

These incidents usually turn out to be something else and not related to child kidnapping, we all know how rumours spread.

Not questioning your link btw :)

These incidents usually turn out to be something else and not related to child kidnapping, we all know how rumours spread.

Not questioning your link btw :)

True but it does remind us to teach our kids not to go off with strangers,etc - and if they don't know what "strangers" is, teach them the meaning of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

markesmith wrote: »
    Youtube video
    The least said about that particular programme episode, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was there a white van? The van has to be white, it always is in these stories

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

similar attempt made at st annes park a few weeks back.

True but it does remind us to teach our kids not to go off with strangers,etc - and if they don't know what "strangers" is, teach them the meaning of the word.

I don't know if it is the norm for kids this young to be walking home from school on their own but I would not recommend it.

The OP's story just does not add up.

Mention paedophiles and people get worked up. If they were to broadcast a public warning, to the residents of Rivervalley, to be vigilant as there is a paedohpile ring operating there, it would do more harm than good in my opinion. The paedophiles can just operate in a different area, at the drop of a hat, but the fear and outrage in the community would live on. Also, paedophiles generally do not target one specific, small area and work solely there, so it is important to teach children about stranger danger etc in all areas and whether there is a genuine scare or not.

I don't know if it is the norm for kids this young to be walking home from school on their own but I would not recommend it.

The OP's story just does not add up.

Can't comment on the OP story but I witness daily kids that age allowed to walk home on their own, from a primary school down a road from me.
    It shocks me - and sometimes the wife (we swap at times, bringing our own to the school) that kids that young are allowed to wander what is long lonely isolated roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Do paedophiles even operate as a network? I'd imagine it's a hobby that most of these people are a bit embarrassed about...

And 28 convicted paedophiles in that estate/townsland/whatever seems like an awful lot.

Can't comment on the OP story but I witness daily kids that age allowed to walk home on their own, that age from a primary school down a road from me.
    It shocks me - and sometimes the wife (we swap at times, bringing our own to the school) that kids that young are allowed to wander what is long lonely isolated roads.

Far to young imo to be walking home on their own but I guess every parent is responsible for their own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Taceom wrote: »

There's a drugs ring in your garden. Someone told me, and the guards corroborated.

Let's get hysterical!

...And 28 convicted paedophiles in that estate/townsland/whatever seems like an awful lot.
    You might be surprised just how many are in any one area.

This is a simple example of the states: http://img155.imageshack.us/i/captureet.jpg/

Source: http://www.missingkids.com/en_US/documents/sex-offender-map.pdf

As we have no similar way of telling - and obviously the Gardi won't be publicly sharing the information - we just don't really know.
    This also helps rumours to start off too by side effect.

Do paedophiles even operate as a network? I'd imagine it's a hobby that most of these people are a bit embarrassed about...

And 28 convicted paedophiles in that estate/townsland/whatever seems like an awful lot.

The vast majority of paedophiles are individuals who molest children in there family or in their immediate circle of contacts, with whom they have regular contact and an ability to control in some way.

That said, there are also networks of paedophiles, who 'share' the young people in their immediate circles to likeminded friends and recieve the same contact with other young people in return. They also seek to expand their circle of young people, but 99.9% of the time this is not by kidnapping someone. They don't wish to draw attention to themselves or be caught after all. Instead they take up jobs that allow them access to children or they frequent areas that give them access to children. Children at risk or with little supervision are the easiest to manipulate, as they often seek out "parental" guidance and affection.

TBH, most of these incidents of child abductions turn out to be nothing. Sensible, loving parents, who supervise their children and educate them about potential dangers are generally the parents of the children who would not be targeted anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Jaysus, glad they weren't around thirty years ago, as that was my hangout from the age of five to around ten. Especially the Valley where we built forts and played Cowboys and Indians.

Even the priests were sound, maybe I just wasn't their type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

While being abducted certainly wouldn't be nice, at least they would be getting out of Swords?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

*waits for the story where some parents lost sight of their kid in Tescos followed shortly by security finding the child being changed into different clothes in the toilet by gypsies*

I'm surprised that they haven't caught anyone by now.:eek:

...I guess every parent is responsible for their own actions.
    Again true - and in some cases, they should be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I think a paedophile network is probably a bit different from a knitting circle, but I'd say a lot do. You want a group of people who will normalise your aberrant behaviour (like knitting) and make you feel like you are not the one with the problem (like knitters) so you feel like it's something you could continue doing. You know at the back of your head (presumably) that what you are doing is wrong, but it's an impulse you can't control.

I just don't like knitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Do paedophils even operate as a network? I'd imagine it's a hobby that most of these people are a bit embarrassed about...

I wouldn't describe abusing children as a hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

'pastime'?

100% agree - sadly for some (if not all) of those sick individuals, thats how much as they rate their activities as in regards morality, right or wrong, in their twisted world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Nodin wrote: »
    'pastime'?

I know its after hours but why be so flippant about child abuse?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I know its after hours but why be so flippant about child abuse?

It's part of my uncaring, xenophobic, hostile, misanthropic nature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement