Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Alleged] attempted child abductions in Swords

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Biggins wrote: »
    Can't comment on the OP story but I witness daily kids that age allowed to walk home on their own, from a primary school down a road from me.
    It shocks me - and sometimes the wife (we swap at times, bringing our own to the school) that kids that young are allowed to wander what is long lonely isolated roads.

I walked to and from school in Dub. My caring and loving parents let me get on with it. I often also just wandered off for the day exploring down Marley Park and it's surrounding environs.

It saddens me that parents these days are turning their children into prisoners despite, if I remember correctly, figures showing it's no more dangerous today than it was 10,20,30 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭this is arse

post it i the paedophile forum, show the bastards were keeping an eye on um...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I walked to and from school in Dub. My caring and loving parents let me get on with it. I often also just wandered off for the day exploring down Marley Park and it's surrounding environs.

It saddens me that parents these days are turning their children into prisoners despite, if I remember correctly, figures showing it's no more dangerous today than it was 10,20,30 years ago.

Yes, but theres the increased awareness that creates fear that something might happen....(and of course it does, just fairly rarely)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Nodin wrote: »
    Yes, but theres the increased awareness that creates fear that something might happen....(and of course it does, just fairly rarely)

I suppose that's true. If I inflict offspring on this world they'll be kicked out the door and told to go have fun. All 6 of my nieces and nephews have their heads permanently stuck in a DS... Feck it I'm getting old....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

+1

If parents want to protect their children from paedophiles, then the statistics would show that they need to be keeping a closer eye on their husbands, boyfriends, brothers, fathers, uncles, etc etc etc and, by teaching their children not to keep secrets from their parents or to believe that anyone could ever hurt them or their parents for 'telling on someone'.

Paedophile rings are of no concern to the vast majority of parents. It's family members that are perpetrating this crime waaaaaaaaaaaay more often than not.

Marley park is a lot safer for a lot of abused kids than their own bedrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes, it a tough situation to be in these days (parent of 4 here).
    One has to find a line between being just careful and trying not to become too over protective and restricting.
    For me, it boils down to an appropriate amount of teaching to them given the current age that they are at. That and a modicum of good sense.

The reason why we hear more stories of such sick actions is obvious.
    The methods of communication today versus 20+ years ago are vastly different.
    The rates of the deeds happening might not have changed much but the reporting of them (or even rumours) has increased via (better?) communication systems and as such sometimes such incidents seem a lot more than what they actually are.
    ...Just food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Biggins wrote: »
    You might be surprised just how many are in any one area.

This is a simple example of the states: http://img155.imageshack.us/i/captureet.jpg/

Source: http://www.missingkids.com/en_US/documents/sex-offender-map.pdf

As we have no similar way of telling - and obviously the Gardi won't be publicly sharing the information - we just don't really know.
    This also helps rumours to start off too by side effect.

These are lists of sex offenders which is a bit of a broad and vague term really.

Also, I always walked home from school when I was a kid. Pretty much everyone did.

I find it strange that people complain about kids getting lazy by being driven to school and then also that kids are being made to walk to school.

reprazant wrote: »
    These are lists of sex offenders which is a bit of a broad and vague term really.
    Yes I know. My point was that given population numbers and the ratio of sex related offenders, until we are given official figures*, we truth we just don't know how many is in any one area.

*NOTE: I'm not advocating that such lists should or should not be given out. Just adding a further possible related perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

These stories erupt all the time and all sound very similar. While it's good to be vigilant (speaking as a parent), they also create a climate of fear that can have negative consequences: wasting police resources, wrongfull accusation of "suspects" and worrying your own kids.

Is there any evidence that child abuse and abduction has actually increased these days. As opposed to the heavily-mediated fear/perception of abduction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Yeah, it would be kind of interesting to see what sort of numbers of sex offenders there are in each area.

It would be probably shocking tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

stovelid wrote: »
    These stories erupt all the time and all sound very similar. While it's good to be vigilant (speaking as a parent), they also create a climate of fear that can have negative consequences: wasting police resources, wrongfull accusation of "suspects" and worrying your own kids.

Is there any evidence that child abuse and abduction has actually increased these days. As opposed to the heavily-mediated fear/perception of abduction?

I'd say it's more likely that people have become more aware of child abuse, than it's actually increased, and it's still a tiny fraction of kids who get abused. Which is cold comfort to parents, but the fact that many abusers are being caught now instead of being moved to another parish or school is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I cant recall the courts presiding over a case of an actual paedophile abduction of a kid in the last 25 years.

But yet there seems to be about a dozen of these "there was an attempted abduction in xxxxx estate, the police are keeping it hush hush but have warned everyone to be careful til they catch these guys" stories every year.

Something doesnt add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

They are a function of hysterical mothers and facebook.

Is there anywhere one can find the amount of sex/paedophile offenders in prison (not their names, just numbers in quantity) presently?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement