Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals

• 16-03-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

Predictions,

Manchester United
    Tottenham Hotspurs
    Inter Milan
    Barcelona
    Shakhtar Donestk
    Schalke 04
    Real Madrid/ Lyon
    Chelsea/ FC Kobenhaven

Manchester United -V- Inter Milan
    Barcelona -V- Real Madrid*
    Tottenham Hotspurs -V- Schalke 04
    Shakhtar Donestk -V- Chelsea*

* Denotes They will qualify tonight.

Team at home in fixtures will be at home for the first game.

You heard it here first.

EDIT: Post who you want your team to get, or your predictions or whatever, Still mine will still be correct come Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

na it will be

man utd v barca
    chelsea v real madrid
    Spurs v Shakhtar
    Inter v Schalke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

2 questions, can teams from the same league play each other at this stage and when is this draw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Jaysus don't stop there give us the results and goalscorers .

2 questions, can teams from the same league play each other at this stage and when is this draw?

not sure and Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Its going to be

1. Madrid v Barca
    2. Chelsea v Inter
    3. Spurs v Man Utd
    4. Shaktar v Schalke

Semis match 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3

You'll see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Yes they can, and I'm nearly sure it's on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Open draw from her, so yes, and the draw is Friday.

The semi final draw also takes place on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'd love to see:
    Utd v Spurs
    Barca v Chelsea
    Madrid v Inter
    Shaktar v Schalke

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I believe if Man United reach the semis their visit to the Emirates will be sandwiched inbetween, with the visit of Chelsea coming immediately after? Man United vs Barca in the SF has to be the desired goal!

Though an exhaustive, attritional QF against Spurs en route would be nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Would like too see United get either Shakhtar in the QF as it's one hell of a round trip.

Followed by Barca in the SF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Please let Real Madrid draw Barca, it'll give the rest of us more of a chance and we'll get to see 4 El Classicos in a month.

Cone on UEFA, you know you want to:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Only 1 S in Hotspur

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Schalke 04 vs Manchester United
    Tottenham Hotspur vs Real Madrid
    Inter Milan vs Chelsea
    Barcelona vs Shakhtar Donestk

Comes with a 3 year guarantee*

* guarantee not valid if draw takes place on a Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Schalke 04 would be the team I'd want most.

Normally I'm of the philosophy that you want tougher teams early, because teams that win tend to come through tough game after tough game, refining and improving each time.
    But United's squad is streched uber thin. Our midfield is being run by people over 35. We have a tough run in in the league and a FA Cup semi against our second greatest rival, so the less tough games the better.

Shaktar would be ages away, and Schalke would at least only be Germany.

The line up is probably going to be:

Manchester United
    Tottenham Hotspurs
    Inter Milan
    Barcelona
    Shakhtar Donestk
    Schalke 04
    Real Madrid
    Chelsea

Only three "weakish" teams there, i.e. claims to being the 6th, 7th and 8th best teams in Europe. Even if they draw each one top team, 1 top team is going out this round. If they draw each other, we could see two top teams going out, with maybe Spurs in the CL semi final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's still a round early for Utd to get a top tier team.:)

Shaktar/Schalke/Spurs IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I couldnt care who Barça draw to be honest - I dont consider anyone left to be a rollover.

Would love to see Madrid draw Chelsea or United.

redout wrote: »
    I couldnt care who Barça draw to be honest - I dont consider anyone left to be a rollover.

Would love to see Madrid draw Chelsea or United.

what happened you being a utd fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

I've a feeling its gonna look something like this...

Man United v Shaktar
    Chelsea v Real Madrid
    Spurs v Barcelona
    Schalke v Inter

Headshot wrote: »
    what happened you being a utd fan?

I want to see Madrid challenged by a top side to see how they respond - my feeling is that they will find it quite difficult.

I reckon both Chelsea and United could show them up.

We already know what they are like against Barça.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

I want to see Madrid challenged by a top side to see how they respond - my feeling is that they will find it quite difficult.

I reckon both Chelsea and United could show them up.

We already know what they are like against Barça.

I don't know...as a Chelsea fan..I Really want to Avoid José to be honest!!

Also interesting to note that whoever knocks out Chelsea usually wins the champions league :p:p Crazy but True, The last 5 years I think it has being the case!

Maybe its our year..Bring on Barca!!

• Advertisement

superfrank wrote: »
    I don't know...as a Chelsea fan..I Really want to Avoid José to be honest!!

Also interesting to note that whoever knocks out Chelsea usually wins the champions league :p:p Crazy but True, The last 5 years I think it has being the case!

Maybe its our year..Bring on Barca!!

On current form I would fancy Madrid to actually knock both out but if Chelsea and United return to the levels they are capable of they should they take them out I would wager. Is Torres eligible for the champions league ?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

On current form I would fancy Madrid to actually knock both out but if Chelsea and United return to the levels they are capable of they should they take them out I would wager. Is Torres eligible for the champions league ?

Yes Torres can play but Luiz is Cup Tied. Pitty Luiz would be probably more effective up front at the moment. I hope Torres plays and gets a goal or two

His confidence is at an all time low & we can't afford that in the Qtrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Would love Barca-United and Madrid-Chelsea TBH.

On the other side of the coin, if Spurs were to play either Schalke or Shaktar the chillout zone will be on my TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I reckon...
    man utd v barca
    chelsea v real madrid
    Spurs v Inter
    Shakhtar v Schalke

with
    Barca V Real and
    Spurs V Shaktar in the semis and

Barca V Shaltar in final with Barca winning final 3-1. ( it was going well for Shaktar until they had a man sent off!!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

I'd like Inter to get Shaktar and play the winner of Spurs v Schalke in the semi's, be a dream draw.

Have a feeling we'll get United though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It would be good to have at least one new team in the S-F so hopefully 2 of Spurs, Schalke and Shakhtar are paired together.

From a Spurs point-of-view, a tie with Schalke would give us the best chance of progressing, but having Barca or Real at the Lane would be a hell of an occassion too. I have a feeling we'll draw United though, which wouldn't be the worst draw we could get.

Tottenham - United
    Shakhtar - Schalke
    Barcelona - Chelsea -> hostilities renewed
    Real - Inter -> Mourinho returns

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

These things are fixed. Barcelona and Real will be on opposite sides of the draw, should Real get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

So many interesting combinations!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Man Yoo v Schalke 04
    Shakhtar v Chelsea
    Madrid v Tottingham
    Inter v Barcelona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

You're all assuming that Chelsea and Real get through tonight! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I don't really mind who we get Shaktar are I think the dark horses that could go all the way. United are the only one's id like to really not get because we play them often anyway and we like to roll over for them :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am pretty sure they will "fix" the draw to ensure Barcelona will not play Real Madrid in the QFs. Basically they "pair" teams to avoid the top TV attractions from an individual country playing on the same night, at the QF stage at least - they get higher TV audiences if Barcelona play on a Tuesday and Madrid on a Wednesday (or vice versa)

Where there are 3 teams involved it's a bit more complicated - Chelsea and Spurs could be paired because they are both from London, or United and Chelsea could be because they attract higher TV audiences

When it comes to the Semis, the priority is to try and get teams from 2 different countries through to the final (again to maximise TV audiences), and don't be surprised if Barcelona draw Real Madrid at this stage (assuming they get through the QFs, but as both draws are made in advance of the QFs, UEFA do have to consider this now

Don't ever believe the hype that it's an open draw!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Beasty wrote: »
    I am pretty sure they will "fix" the draw to ensure Barcelona will not play Real Madrid in the QFs. Basically they "pair" teams to avoid the top TV attractions from an individual country playing on the same night, at the QF stage at least - they get higher TV audiences if Barcelona play on a Tuesday and Madrid on a Wednesday (or vice versa)

Where there are 3 teams involved it's a bit more complicated - Chelsea and Spurs could be paired because they are both from London, or United and Chelsea could be because they attract higher TV audiences

When it comes to the Semis, the priority is to try and get teams from 2 different countries through to the final (again to maximise TV audiences), and don't be surprised if Barcelona draw Real Madrid at this stage (assuming they get through the QFs, but as both draws are made in advance of the QFs, UEFA do have to consider this now

They might Draw Barca and Real against each other though,... for the sheer prospect of seeing them play 4 times
    In which case you would see 4 Classicos in 3 weeks !!! Imagine ! :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::)

- Barca -vs- Madrid 5-6 April (Champions League)
    - Madrid -vs- Barca 11-12 April (Champions League)
    - Madrid -vs- Barca 17th April (La Liga )
    - Barca -vs- Madrid 20th April (Cup Final)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It has happened. Barca and Real played each other in 2001/2002 in the CL semi finals I think. McManaman got the first Real clincher at the Nou Camp in 20 years if I remember correctly.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dfx- wrote: »
    It has happened. Barca and Real played each other in 2001/2002 in the CL semi finals I think. McManaman got the first Real clincher at the Nou Camp in 20 years if I remember correctly.
    That's one of the points I'm making - Semis yes, because they don't want 2 Spanish teams in the final. They will do what they can to keep them apart before then.

Of course, I may be completely disproven on this theory, and would be delighted at the prospect of them playing each other in the QFs.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I would like to see:

Barcelona V Chelsea
    Real Madrid V Manchester United
    Tottenham V Inter Milan
    Schalke V Shaktar

I think it will be:

Barcelona V Shaktar
    Real Madrid V Schalke
    Tottenham V Inter Milan
    Manchester United V Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Spurs v United or schalke ..i'd take either draw all day long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Schalke v Shaktar Donetsk
    Man United v Inter Milan
    Spurs v Chelsea
    Real Madrid v Barcelona

Sooner believe the 'hype' that it's an open draw than some crappy conspiracy theory about it being fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Renn wrote: »
    Sooner believe the 'hype' that it's an open draw than some crappy conspiracy theory about it being fixed.
    Remember a few years ago someone put up on a forum about the QF draw being fixed and he said the exact line up which occured an hour and a half later. That was seriously brushed under the carpet by UEFA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Paully D wrote: »
    I would like to see:

Barcelona V Chelsea
    Real Madrid V Manchester United
    Tottenham V Inter Milan
    Schalke V Shaktar

Thats the exact same line up i would love to see. Barca and Chelsea have created a great rivalry in the champs league in recent years, especially after Chelsea were robbed in the last tie. Ronaldo V United would be brilliant. Spurs-Inter rematch and would be good to see one of the underdogs in the semi's with Schalke and Shaktar.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Remember a few years ago someone put up on a forum about the QF draw being fixed and he said the exact line up which occured an hour and a half later. That was seriously brushed under the carpet by UEFA.

Yeah I'm not sure how much attention UEFA give to forums :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    These things are fixed. Barcelona and Real will be on opposite sides of the draw, should Real get through.

You sound like Alex Ferguson.

MODS: Give him a 2 week ban!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I hope its:

Man Utd vs Barcelona
    Real Madrid vs Spurs
    Inter vs Chelsea
    Shakhtar vs Schalke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If the draw was fixed would anyone be bothered?

As its "open" any team can get any of 7 teams so it shouldnt matter if your game if the draw is fixed.

From one end if you intend on winning it you will have to beat these teams at some point and from the Spurs end they just happy to be in it :pac:

I reckon the draw is fixed and any bias will be towards the "reckless english" and the overspending so:

Chelsea- Spurs
    Utd- Barca
    Real - Shalke
    Shaktar- inter

If the draw is fixed we will definitely see Schalke Vs Shaktar. But is is not.

As a Barca fan, the one I wish to miss the most is Spurs. They have an inhibition about their play that will scare the bejesus out of most. Play like they did at home to Inter and for 135 mins at the San Siro (2nd hald Inter, 90 Milan), and they can go as far as they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

gimmick wrote: »
    If the draw is fixed we will definitely see Schalke Vs Shaktar. But is is not.

As a Barca fan, the one I wish to miss the most is Spurs. They have an inhibition about their play that will scare the bejesus out of most. Play like they did at home to Inter and for 135 mins at the San Siro (2nd hald Inter, 90 Milan), and they can go as far as they want.

Defend, however, like they do on a weekly basis in the PL and they're goners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I predict that Barcelona and Real Madrid will be on different sides of the rigged draw as Uefa have decided the moment is right for an El Classico Final to reverberate around the world of football.

It is also very likely they will be blatantly scheduled via a fix to meet in the semi finals because Uefa are happy to keep them apart as far as possible but ultimately don't want teams from the same country to meet in the final.

It is also possible they will be fixed to meet in the quarter finals, Uefa like at least one big mega clash in each round and this has been chosen. This conspiracy is the least likely though, I make it a 1 in 7 conspiracy.

I expect to be proven right on Friday and will bump one of the above paragraphs accordingly.

Good grief, so it will either be fixed to have Barca and real to face each other in either the QF, SF or final.

Damn you UEFA. Damn you to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Have a feelin its gonna be Utd-Chelsea, which would mean 3 more meetings in a short space of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement